Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,500 members, 7,816,190 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50119 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by playerinc(m): 5:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry

You and most pple studying Mathematics are doing dat because they couldn't get admitted to study Engineering. #word
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 5:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cauchy01:
What engineering students are good at is Calculus,ODE...buh mathematics is more than Calculus...when they go into functional analysis...complex analysis...algebra...then they know that khaki no be leather

Even at that, I'm yet to come across a Nigeria trained engineer who has a deep knowledge about calculus. They don't know poo about existence and uniqueness of solutions to ODEs or poo about Lebesgue measure. You can't claim to be good at calculus without knowing the afore-metioned.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Emeskhalifa(m): 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Mathematicians are field individuals,they have a place in every institution ranging from the multinational oil companies to the automechanic clinics.The only problem is that they get stiff competition from the statistics guys,who tend to be more favored,especially in Nigeria.
Engineering,business administration and accounting are very crowded fields,though I particularly dislike civil engineering guys,perhaps due to their unruly attitude on campus.However,statistics seem to be the reigning field now,I would say that statistics is the huber hottest cake in town,its too hot for a cold shower!.lol.

plain truth
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
kobonaire:
Please be specific : it is Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering students that do the most amount of challenging mathematics during their courses.
Mechanical Engineering do the most maths courses.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by meforyou1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engineering students only study applied Mathematics. We Mathematics alumni studied all branches of mathematics- pure, applied and abstract Mathematics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kobonaire(m): 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Uh oh....which university do you attend?,getting an A without attending classes sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
could be U of Maiduguri grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by gennykdb(m): 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
We mathematicians provide u engineers wat to work with...n den u play wit it over n over again n apply to ur work environment...dat dont make u superior...
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:
With all ur algebra and analysis, how many stuff have u guys made with it
u jst pack abstract in ur head with no hope of converting it to a reasonably useful thing
and u re happy abt it
smh to u guys
Clearly, you haven't heard about Combinatorics or Magneto-hydrodynamics or Mathematical finance. Maybe you attended a whack school or something. Just saying though...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2556702/what-reason-behind-low-up

This is a sample thread exactly like the ones the OP is used to opening.
At first I assumed it was created by a lecturer or working class citizen wondering why things were the way they were at the moment - I prayed the thread was opened by someone with developed critical thinking skills at least.

After contributing twice and seeing both the OP and a similar minded fellow shout my views down, the OP later confesses that he(or she) just got enrolled into university to study statistics(no guarantee in anway they would even graduate from the course).
What I'm trying to say is experience something fully so you can list the pros and cons of the experience, not coming to make noise about it before or midway through the experience without a guarantee you'd see it through.

Empty vessels always make the loudest noise.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kobonaire(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
TheSlyone:

Mechanical Engineering do the most maths courses. Actually I offered Mathematics courses from my first year til 500l
No sir .... EE and ME do common Math courses from 100L to 500L.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
meforyou1:
Engineering students only study applied Mathematics. We Mathematics alumni studied pure, applied and abstract Mathematics

Dude, you are yarning dust. Pure maths is abstract maths.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by meforyou1(m): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

Dude, you are yarning dust. Pure maths is abstract maths.
I know. Just to emphasise that it is different from pure maths that non mathematicians know about
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by MrRichy(m): 5:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Wetin concern me? I hate to even hear the word maths... Talk more of studyin it. Proudly microbe
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by rasheed329(m): 5:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
lol. U didn't apply for mathematics during Jamb my guy. so stop Ranting. @Accept the fact, Engineers should be rated very high. cus apart from Mathematics, do u know how many other calculation courses engineers offer? we don't only do Mathematics, we do lots of calculations in general.. never argue when an Engineer tells u his better in Calculations cus We Are "CALCULATORS" A.K.A problem solvers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by meforyou1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering
says who?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
kobonaire:

No sir .... EE and ME do common Math courses from 100L to 500L.
You missed it dear. When I was in school, we and electrical guys do offered maths courses almost at the same pace. But 500l differentiated boys from men. As a matter of fact, only mechanical engineering student offered Mathematics in 500l except if, it elective. To mechanical engineer, all maths are core while to others it could be elective
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
playerinc:

You and most pple studying Mathematics are doing dat because they couldn't get admitted to study Engineering. #word

Duh, I opted for mathematics when I couldn't get Economics. What does that make of your assertion? Dimwits and generalisations. Abeg go read your book.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kobonaire(m): 5:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
TheSlyone:

You missed it dear. When I was in school, we and electrical guys do offered maths courses almost at the same pace. But 500l differentiated boys from men. As a matter of fact, only mechanical engineering student offered Mathematics in 500l
Not in my University ... EE and ME did identical mathematics courses from 100L --> 500L.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by alfonso36(m): 5:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
Ask Google na na everything una go ask us
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by franko4don(m): 5:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
Truth be told, abstract maths is crazy. Solving maths wifout values, am a potential engr but i sometimes delve into abstract maths in other to solve some programming problems and its nt dt hard catching up.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by jstriker442(m): 5:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
u are beating around d bush. Wat u said is correct but not d ansa to dis question
what he actually meant was 'generally' more brilliant than. And from his analysis, they are. But knwing maths better na lie. ''who fit swim pass fish''.

M an engr std but mathematicians study maths, so shud knw it better than me.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
@Durentt, don't mind the engineers, have you tried them on analysis, abstract algebra Measure Theory and lebesgue integral or on discrete mathematics and logic? Mathematicians are unique people. Go to NASA most people doing the encryption and decryption are Mathematicians as well as in other intelligence units in there. But in Zoogeria it's a different ball game. I respect Mathematicians not convertibles like the engineers who rely heavily on the models produced by Mathematicians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
rasheed329:
lol. U didn't apply for mathematics during Jamb my guy. so stop Ranting. @Accept the fact, Engineers should be rated very high. cus apart from Mathematics, do u know how many other calculation courses engineers offer? we don't only do Mathematics, we do lots of calculations in general.. never argue when an Engineer tells u his better in Calculations cus We Are "CALCULATORS" A.K.A problem solvers

Well, if what engineers do is calculation, then you ain't no better than a calculator.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by amazingspiderma: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engineering is the application of the knowledge of mathematics to science in the most economical way. It is the application of mathematics.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Engrpj(m): 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
No one does it better than An Engineering student...

Jack of all trade

Masters of all calculus

Reservoir of knowledge

Originator of Linear algebra

Maestro of real analysis

Solution to ordinary differential equation

Experts in Laplace Transforms and Fourier
series

Click like if u feel that......

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Sheikwonder(m): 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:

I didn't even enter the class room one day in my 100lvl a and I banged an A in MTH125 (ODE)(that's actually the grace of God tho) Buh i jst believe Maths is one of the easiest course ever, jst follow the steps and do some manipulation ur answer will surface unlike some stupid course that u will spend days cramming still no way #myloveforMTH...

Omo,MTH125 was the only "E" I had in year one...EKOKO na bastard!!!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by samokofafrica(m): 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
The engineering students are excellent in mathematics than those that study mathematics as a course in the university. The engineer translate the mathematics into construction,design etc. and effects we are seeing in every aspect of our life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by picoba(m): 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
[size=28pt]
They study Applied Mathematics. Mathematics far more than that.

[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
kobonaire:
Not in my University ... EE and ME did identical mathematics courses from 100L --> 500L.
What am saying is this, not all maths courses mean core for electrical students in the final year as it meant for Mechanical guys
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by sholikay(m): 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
@Op..let me tel u the truth an engineering student wil always be superior to a mathematics student.based on the fact that we put all our calculation into something real and productive,bt the mathematicians only solve and solve nothing to work out in real..so also an engineering student can confuse u with proving..an engineering student can prove to u that 1+1=5..like the pix below me..lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
Funpeter:
Statistician rules the world........
Lol,I didnt say that.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly

In some universities they do elementary calculus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / IMSU Graduate Drowns In Soakaway Pit While Fleeing From Students Pouring Water / Unilag Student Shot Dead At Amphitheatre (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.