Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,268 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Year 2016: From Nothing To Something - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Year 2016: From Nothing To Something (1904 Views)

Nigerian Lady Is The Best Pharmacist In UK For The Year 2016 / List Of Successful Candidates Admitted Into NDA 2016 From Benue / Secret To GREAT Career In 2016 From Malcom X (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
It is the end of the fourth day of the New Year already and the days have begun to slip by like they did in 2010 and in 2011 and in 2012 and in the years after that and in 2015 and I still cannot figure out what went wrong with the plans I made in 2010. The day before yesterday- precisely six years later- I sat down for an evaluation and I noticed that out of the seven goals that I set out to achieve from 2010 to 2015 I have only achieved two(what a lousy scorecard, I know).

So I went to this counseling program to try and figure out what I have been doing wrong and upon reaching the venue, I was told that I had to wait for the counselor. In order to use the ‘waiting time’ productively, I brought out my phone and of course headed to Nairaland.

Here, I saw a post by Ymodulus summarizing the business ventures he embarked on in 2015 and how he fared and boy did I get motivated. I told myself that instead of setting numerous new year resolutions for many years ahead or even worrying about how I have fared thus far I will have one new year’s goal and one only: “ In 2016, shall grow from Nothing to Something!”

If you are a young person who seems lost in this world, it may be useful for you to bookmark this thread as it will guide you on a path to self-discovery: you begin to recognize the jewels within you and how to mine them, refine them and begin to use them to carve out a sweet spot for yourself in the world.

We begin immediately!

Got questions or suggestions? Feel free to ask.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 7:44pm On Jan 05, 2016
YOUR MAJOR DEFINITE PURPOSE

Every journey begins with one thought, the destination! ‘Where do I want to go to?’

This journey of ours is no different from every other journey and we need a clear picture of where we intend going to. Going from Nothing to Something isn’t just definite enough. Why do you think you are nothing? How would you tell when you are something?

The most important element of success in any quest is to define what success looks like from the onset- Napoleon Hill

The question we need to ask ourselves is this: “what do you want your life to look like on a good day? What is really important to you? What things are not just working in your life? What would you like to change if there were no consequences? Are you happy with your job, your spouse, your health, your diet and life choices? What are those things that you cannot do in front of your parent, pastor/ imam that you still do? Are there habits people have condemned over and over again in you and you know you should change? How much would you realistically want to earn? What would you want to do to earn that much? Who would you like to love?

Answer these questions honestly and you will begin to see the goals you are supposed to be pursuing.

It is more than just the good things of life. The answers will give you something more, something you should be pursuing and this thread will help you materialize those things that you desire.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 8:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
This is what I came up with as a guidepost:

My name is __________________(put your name in here). At present my _____________, ____________ isn’t just working. At this moment, it is very important to me that _______________(state things that are important to you here). All things being equal, I would like to ____________________(state the things you wouldn’t mind changing). I would like to earn ____________ at this stage of life. I would do so _________________.

I,______________(put your name here) promise to do all that is humanly possible and morally acceptable to achieve this things for myself, my family and my society in 2016. So help me God!

As an example, Ill post what I came up with:

My name is Dubem. At present my health and relationships aren't just working. I fall sick often and my wounds take time to heal. Since I am a final year student for the second time after dropping out the first time, my education is really important to me. However, it is also important I create a passive stream of tangible income (N 100k precisely & before graduating) since jobs are hard to get in my country and my freelance writing is beginning to consume so much time that it obstructs my relationships. I would love to stop smoking and having sexual relations with girls that I do not have true feelings for. I would love to develop a truthful & loving relationship with aminat508 grin grin

I would make my target income by creating systems ( both online and offline) that wouldn't require all my time like freelancing is doing to me. by so doing, I will free up time for my Acada and relationships.

Please come up with your own definite goals now, write them down and share them if you dont mind so that anybody reading it would know if you have achieved it or not... Tomorrow, we begin to pursue them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by Rich4god(m): 9:42am On Jan 06, 2016
Spreads mat....
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by omoagbeke(m): 7:03pm On Jan 08, 2016
following
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by lexaydfg(m): 7:24pm On Jan 08, 2016
Nice one @op, i would have written my goals but what i discovered is that, whenever i tell other people about my goals, i do not achieve them. I will prefer to write them in my personal diary.

Keep on, am following

1 Like

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by Jidexfeel(m): 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2016
Insightful! Ha.. Wait for me too o. I'm following o.
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by firstking01(m): 9:26pm On Jan 08, 2016
Thers's no need advertising ur goals...show them your result cool

1 Like

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 12:29am On Jan 10, 2016
Thanks all for the encouragement! @ lexaydf, that is the beauty of the web... I am somebody and I am nobody since we may never meet till we die. But it is Ok if you don't feel like sharing as long as you write them down for yourself...

We shall be good!
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 12:33am On Jan 10, 2016
@all, Good morning guys.

Sorry I haven’t posted anything in a couple of days. I had to face a break-up. I felt dejected, rejected and used. I thought of how many of my principles I bent for her and the whole thing made me sick to my stomach so much so that I couldn’t get myself to think straight about my goals.

With that out of the way, let us proceed in our journey of moving from "Nothing to Something". I believe the break-up was necessary so that I will become a total nothing and from there begin to build something.

Last time we took time out to make a statement of purpose, detailing what we wanted or needed in the year 2016. Now we need to clarify out statement of purpose and to do so, we would examine our initial write up for clues.. Here is mine for an example:
• my health isn’t working [ Body, Health and healing]
• my education is really important to me [ Education, Future]
• stream of tangible income[ Money, Jobs/Career]
• stop smoking and having sexual relations with girls[Lifestyle, Addiction]
• develop a truthful & loving relationship with aminat508[ Love & Relationship]

Looking at it this way I can simply rephrase my statement of purpose thus:

I want to make my body the best it can be this year, freeing it from plagues, wounds and pains and optimizing it for success by fitness and good diet. I will dedicate time daily for my studies and in so doing improve my educational standing. I will work hard to improve my finances by working fiercely and diversification. My lifestyle shall be respectful to my body, my religion, my society, my mates and lady friends. So help me God.

After reading this, come up with your own concise purpose statement for 2016, then Celebrate because our journey has just begun… smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 12:38am On Jan 10, 2016
If you have followed this thread thus far and have come up with your own concise purpose statement, you have done well! At this point, I would like to share what we will be doing on this thread and beseech you to tag a friend who needs to be in because this thread will set us on the right path, the path of self-awareness; something that is of utmost important to humans according to Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

Firstly, we will embark on a journey of self discovery….

Answering the question ‘Who am I?’ We find our true identity; discover its strengths and weakness

Then we would “Analyze our bodies for soundness” and identifying its pluses and disadvantages

Analyze our current financial status and life’s standing (love, education, social status etc)

After all these analysis, we would have discovered our current location, the starting point of our journey.
From there, we determine how to get to our destination (as specified in our individual statements). We would discuss the obstacles, road blocks and bends you need to be aware of.

Don’t forget to tag a friend, a brother, a sister or neighbor that needs to hop on the bandwagon. We can all be made!

To our accomplishments!
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by gametalk: 1:50am On Jan 10, 2016
QUIT THAT RELATIONSHIP if truly you want to achieve your goal(s)

Your HEALTH is bad, yet you're SMOKING HIGH. STOP SMOKING... I know its not easy, but ONLY GOD can help you through AND ONLY if truly you're ready.

1 Like

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by siegfried99(m): 2:27am On Jan 10, 2016
Cool
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 6:26pm On Jan 12, 2016
@game talk, I have ended the relationship. I am vrr ready to stop smoking. that is why I am running this thread.

I want to turn the damages I've caused myself and if possible carry others along. Please keep following us and contributing to the thread and we will surely go from nothing to something.

1 Like

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 7:30am On Jan 14, 2016
Good day friends,

I have not posted anything for two days now because I engrossed myself in the study and understanding of our next few steps and how to begin achieving the goals each of us have outlined for themselves.
Let us assume you wake up to find yourself in the midst of an arid desert. The first thing that will come to your mind will be to move to the nearest civilization [the goal]. Then you will have to evaluate your supplies- food and water- to see if it will get you there [self evaluation] before you move.

In the same manner, our journey begins with a self evaluation called ‘the personality check’.

If you haven’t got your temperament or personality checked then you may just be moving through life with a treasure chest but not knowing what you have. If each and every one of us on this thread will find out his/ her temperament, we could already begin to profit from our diversities from next week not to mention, that your relations and interactions would benefit from the knowledge of your personality and temperament.

To check yours, click http://www.keirsey.com/sorter/register.aspx Please note that I am not an affiliate of this website and I am in no way connected to this website. It is just a great place to take your personality test.

Do not forget to copy and paste your results here as comment since we are inviting some guests that are very knowledgeable in this field to better explain any questions or confusions you may have. These consultants are: DukeNija and spicyv1.

When you complete this stage, get ready to begin on our path to building value in your community. Why would we begin with building value and not money or relationships? Because every other thing is so structured that it can be acquired through Value. When you add value to your community, you get paid. You also become a more attractive sexual mate so you get more chances to build truly intimate relations.

To a year of achievements!
Ps: CrazyMan, 1forall, please check if we deserve a front page. So we can bring along other persons who need this.

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
So I my test came back and I am an Idealist Teacher...

Anyone got his test results?
Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by DMLords: 10:58pm On Jan 19, 2016
Oh my gosh....

I haven't been reporting how the journey has been thus far... However, it seems nobody even noticed.

Maybe i should just make me a diary to record my progress...

Next Milestone: 28 days No smoking, No Sex or any connection to a female more than a hand shake. Also ive made N30k since i started this thread. Next Milestone: Make N50 more and begin the yam business as explained by ymodulus as a passive source of income.
Health Wise: Begin the 6 weeks to a great body program!

I'm moving on, even if alone wink tongue smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Year 2016: From Nothing To Something by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 20, 2016
DMLords:
Oh my gosh....

I haven't been reporting how the journey has been thus far... However, it seems nobody even noticed.

Maybe i should just make me a diary to record my progress...

Next Milestone: 28 days No smoking, No Sex or any connection to a female more than a hand shake. Also ive made N30k since i started this thread. Next Milestone: Make N50 more and begin the yam business as explained by ymodulus as a passive source of income.
Health Wise: Begin the 6 weeks to a great body program!

I'm moving on, even if alone wink tongue smiley
Lol. This your milestone na wa oh! How connection to female affect am?

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Salary Structure Of Tantalizer For Experience Staff / ICAN Result For November Is Out - I Got An SMS / Re Ma Mtn Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.