Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,497 members, 7,954,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:11 PM

South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. (788 Views)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / “I Don’t Give My Instagram To Black People" - White Model To Black Photographer / 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 05, 2016
Comments by a white South African woman calling black people "monkeys" have sparked widespread outrage. On Facebook, Penny Sparrow used the word to describe New Year's revellers on Durban's beach because of the mess she said they made. She was condemned by many on social media and the hashtag #RacismMustFall was trending on Twitter. The South African Human Rights Commission is now investigating the comments, the News24 website reports. Ms Sparrow took down the original post and replaced it with an apology saying that "everyone makes mistakes". She tried to clarify her remarks in an interview with News24 saying: "I made the mistake of comparing them [black people] with monkeys. Monkeys are cute and they're naughty, but they [black people] don't see it that way, but I do because I love animals." Leading politicians have also got involved in the row. It emerged that Ms Sparrow is a member of the opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) and its leader Mmusi Maimane tweeted that the "comments are racist. They are an insult to me and to our party." The DA said in a statement that it has laid criminal charges against her "for infringing the dignity of all South Africans and for dehumanising black South Africans". Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula tweeted that Ms Sparrow was "an unrepentant racist". Spokesperson for the South African Human Rights Commission Isaac Mangena said that its own investigation could lead to legal steps, News24 reports. "It is very concerning to the Commission that 22 years into democracy there are still comments and actions that incite and promote racism. "These utterances have gone viral and angered many. They open the wounds of millions who were formerly oppressed by the apartheid government." Apartheid, which legally enforced a racial hierarchy privileging white South Africans, ended in 1994 with the election of the country's first democratic government.
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. by darnley16(m): 10:22am On Jan 05, 2016
SA vs Foreigners
SA vs SA
NA ONLY UNA DEY?
Re: South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. by Hundreddegrees(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2016
She's a monkey also if africans are monkeys angry

FTC!!!
Re: South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. by Monalisa185(f): 10:25am On Jan 05, 2016
undecided
Re: South African Woman Calls Black People Monkeys, Triggers Protest. by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 05, 2016
South Africans are monkey

(1) (Reply)

Omoilu Foundation Rallies Women’s Support / 10 Peculiar Facts About The Late Oba Of Benin / Hammurabi Code: How The Ancients Organised Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.