Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Punch Website At It Again - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Punch Website At It Again (1740 Views)

Punch Website / Punch "website" Strikes Again / Virus On The Punch's Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Punch Website At It Again by yawatide(f): 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
sooo,

Over the years, I have narrowed down the Nigerian online paper sites that I visit daily from over 30 to 8, based on content, frequency of updates, etc. Punch has always been one of the 8, even after they went offline for a while due to a hack attack. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I noticed that you now have to register/pay to read an article. As a result, I have stopped visiting their site.

Limiting certain articles to registered/paying members, only (and they used to do that in the past) is totally acceptable. Making everything available to only registered members in my opinion is preposterous. I mean, can't they take a leaf from other papers worldwide? I understand the need to make money. I am a capitalist to the core but again, is that what other, perhaps better online papers are doing?

Though they may not care, they have lost 1 (hitherto) faithful (for the past 4 years) visitor.

Oya, letz debate. It is a good idea to have every single article available only to registered members?
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nitation(m): 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2009
I noticed the same thing, for a reason or so I find myself still visiting the website. I think my problem is addiction as I don't dig sunnewsonline for their delay in update.

More so, I think it is taking business and traffic down the drain by adopting such method. They better consult Alexandra forbes for proper risk management, because this one na big risk oo!!!

- nitation
Re: Punch Website At It Again by yawatide(f): 6:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
Pretty funny there nitation. I was like you too - I would still visit and click a few links at random, believing within me that it would all go away cheesy

I also forgot to mention up top that even if I were interested in paying, what if I don't have a naija-compatible card?  Also, when they say my phone number is my registration number, do they accept international numbers and if so, how do they validate for those?

As nitation has said, I think it will probably go down as one of the biggest internet blunders, as far as Nigeria is concerned.  The problem though is that I will probably never visit their site again till some time next year to see if they will remove this tacky feature.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by abhosts(m): 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2009
They got really frustrated trying to push their paid wap portal service down people's throat. People did not see any sense paying for it since they could access the main website on their phones for free. So they decided to bundle all their online news portals into one service.

Very big Mistake IMHO. Do they think advertisers will continue with them when traffic drops?Their Visitors have dropped drastically. But who knows, it could work for them on the long run.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by yawatide(f): 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2009
very sensible post, abhosts.  Your 2nd paragraph - well put.

I firmly believe in the "give them everything and only charge for extras" feature of the net - Offer all your services for free and make money via advertising and/or limiting juicy stories to paying customers.  That is the way to make money online and not by going against what even online papers better than they are, are doing.

With over 30 online papers in Nigeria (granted some are more crappy than others, but I digress grin), why would/should I get a heart attack cos 1 has decided to make news off limits?  I will simply update my bookmarks and move on.  It's that simple.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
When i first learnt of the payment stuff, i did not believe it until i saw it for myself. shocking.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by agegelabs(m): 8:26pm On Jun 15, 2009
I'm surprised that they decided to go down that route. I have a post on my website on the situation.

Time will tell if the strategy will work. I now use 234next and Allafrica for my news.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by TechPros(m): 9:01pm On Jun 15, 2009
i was expecting something like this but was not expecting it to come from punch.
really, i wouldn't blame them for this decision, after been ranked among one of the most visited site in nigeria, what do u expect?
there is no doubt this wouldn't work, for me have stop visiting their site but one thing i will surely miss is the quality of their news
Re: Punch Website At It Again by TheSly: 9:12pm On Jun 15, 2009
abhosts:

They got really frustrated trying to push their paid wap portal service down people's throat. People did not see any sense paying for it since they could access the main website on their phones for free. So they decided to bundle all their online news portal into one service.

Very big Mistake IMHO. Do they think advertisers will continue with them when traffic drops? Visitors have dropped drastically as virtually every article on their website has "(0) comments" below them. But who knows, it could work for them on the long run.
In Nigeria? I dont think so.

It didnt even bother me when i noticed it, because there are many.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by onimisi: 9:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
Please i have been looking for online nigerian papers.can i have some websites of this website.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nitation(m): 10:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Seun(m): 12:15am On Jun 16, 2009
Thank God. The Punch website is currently more popular than Nairaland, but with this change Nairaland should be back in the number one position in no time. God is good!
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Nobody: 12:57am On Jun 16, 2009
Interesting talk.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by yawatide(f): 5:11am On Jun 16, 2009
Seun, u sef tongue

onimisi:

These online papers (google their names for the urls) have worked for me over the past 3 or so years:
Vanguard, Independent online, sun news, the nation, nigeriaworld.

Good luck!
Re: Punch Website At It Again by abhosts(m): 7:20am On Jun 16, 2009
Seun:

Thank God. The Punch website is currently more popular than Nairaland, but with this change Nairaland should be back in the number one position in no time. God is good!

Now, no one expects that statement to Come from an Atheist. cool
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nitation(m): 9:14am On Jun 16, 2009
GOD is good! by the way, am an atheist!!! grin My definition of GOD differs hahahaha
Re: Punch Website At It Again by naijacutee(f): 6:28am On Jun 17, 2009
abhosts:

Now, no one expects that statement to Come from an Atheist. cool

Trust Nairalanders to pick up on that. I hope this discussion does not derail into the Religion section. (Abi are atheists now prohibited from using the word?)
Re: Punch Website At It Again by SamMilla1(m): 9:48am On Jun 17, 2009
nitation:

GOD is good! by the way, am an atheist!!! grin My definition of GOD differs hahahaha

Why didnt you sign off with your usual "- nitation" ?

Forgot?
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nitation(m): 11:19am On Jun 17, 2009
- nitation*
Re: Punch Website At It Again by TechPros(m): 11:52am On Jun 17, 2009
abeg leave am,nitation no get work grin grin
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 17, 2009
Why didnt you sign off with your usual "- nitation" ?

Forgot?

- nitation*

nut case  grin
Re: Punch Website At It Again by JJYOU: 1:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
Seun:

Thank God. The Punch website is currently more popular than Nairaland, but with this change Nairaland should be back in the number one position in no time. [size=28pt]God is good[/size]!
extremely good seun. wonders shall never end.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by mabotech: 10:13pm On Jun 17, 2009
Why do they implement such policy, their main source of revenue is advert, so why do their onlie readers pay to have access to articles where there are thousands quality articles on the internet for free on thousands site.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 20, 2009
are u guys trying to say, seun is an atheist?
Re: Punch Website At It Again by lojik(m): 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2009
This is a wrong move by punch. I hope they make amends before they loose their traffic to competing newspapers.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by Nobody: 1:11am On Jun 22, 2009
lojik:

This is a wrong move by punch. I hope they make amends before they loose their traffic to competing newspapers.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by sfiea: 10:50am On Jun 22, 2009
@ Seun, I hope its not an antic for a BIGGER TOPIC/POST of the YEAR "SEUN now born Again"

@ Topic : Punch advert antics is a BIGGER BLUNDER for the moment.

Bloggers are doing better than they are, no buy back etc,

SAHARA Reporter or Nigeriavillagesquare.com as a good example .

Also, all it takes is one person becoming a member and posting content on his/her blog
Re: Punch Website At It Again by NAIJAVOICE(m): 4:31am On Jun 23, 2009
they will soon loose their subscriber in no time.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nitation(m): 10:33am On Jun 23, 2009
Come to think of it, maybe they are sick and tired of their traffic so they intend reducing it. hahaha grin

- nitation
Re: Punch Website At It Again by yawatide(f): 12:47pm On Jun 23, 2009
he he nitation, you could be right. Maybe traffic/ad revenue isn't the problem but how to spend it.

I just visited them, after at least 2 or so weeks and they are still requiring that one sign in. I guess they haven't gotten the message yet. Too bad, so sad.
Re: Punch Website At It Again by TechPros(m): 3:10pm On Jun 23, 2009
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Punch Website At It Again by nanijoe(m): 12:06pm On Jun 25, 2009
You can check www.turenchi.com for Nigerian News, we aggregate news from all the major Nigerian Newspapers as well as other sources like BBC and Reuters. The news is updated every hour,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Predesigned Site Or Building From Scratch? / Suggestions and Feature Requests For Voguepay / How Do I Place This Kind Of Facebook Advert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.