Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,950 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) (8192 Views)

My 15 Minutes Agony With A Lady With Smelly Hair In A Queue / Agony After Medical School... By Dr Kene (mbbs) / Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by bpalace(m): 3:57am On Jan 06, 2016
It is no longer news to the world and especially to nigerians, the rate and vigour with which corruption in its different forms has invaded every facet of Nigeria's institutions. It seems to have become part of the genetic composition of most nigerians if not all.

An aspect that inevitably affect youth development and empowerment is worth discussing:

1) Collection of mandatory levy from applicants --- this usually happens before the submission of applications for job interview, jobs that the applicant is not sure he/she will get.

While the present government is planning to alleviate poverty by paying the unemployed youth some token for their upkeep, these employers - so called government workers and heads of institutions - set up their own wicked strategies to impoverish the already poor and unemployed youth by collecting huge sums from them b4 allowing them to sit for job interviews.

Just last year, UCTH collected N5000 from newly graduated doctors for their interview. The same yr UNILORIN Teaching Hospital collected the same amount for the same reason of job interview. Many other hospitals did the same. Currently, Ekiti State Teaching Hospital is collecting N5000 (being the price of the application form) from these newly graduated medical doctors. Bear in mind that these fresh doctors have to do their one year mandatory internship programme. They have temporary licences and must do this within a limited time. They are entirely on their own and must compete with one another and with doctors trained abroad for the few placements available in the qualified hospitals.

These graduates will not only pay the mandatory fee, but will also transport themselves to the various venues of these interviews, lodge in hotels etc. Where will they get funding from? They are poor and are not yet working. Why do these MDs and CMDs, want to further impoverish the already poor young graduates before giving them their rightful placements? Is it what the Federal Government asked them to do? These question demand urgent answers!

2) The epidemic of IM (ima mmadu OR to know somebody) in Nigerian employment system:

Merit is no longer recognised in the Nigerian employment system. After paying a heavy application fee, working hard to pass an the interview, you still are not sure of getting the job unless you know somebody or somebody who know somebody within the institution who can secure the job for you. For example, how can the best graduating student of a renown college of medicine go for interview at FMC Asaba & not even one of the best ten graduating students got a place there. You have to know some body b4 u can get a job. those that don't know any body are automatically hopeless.

How can you explain the fact that someone re-sitting his final exams (ie he has not yet graduated, has no license and can't apply for internship) nevertheless participates in the job interview organized by his alma mater and gets a placement ahead of those that have graduated.

The situation is really discouraging hard work among youths, since hard work is no longer recognised. NAUTH has been delaying the list of succesful candidates, presumably because of the same reasons.

3) Buying of placements:

Here, the employer will collect application fees, conduct interviews, cast all the result of the interview into the waste paper basket and then commence the phase of auctioning the placements. Huge sums are unofficially/covertly collected from the employee before employing them. In UNTH and ESUTH, many have had to pay N150,000 and above before they could get house job. Is this part of the Youth Empowerment Programme?

4) Ghost workers in Nigerian employment system:

This particularly refers to a situation where an institution accredited to employ for instance 200 workers, decides to employ about 150. It then takes appropriate measures to secure the salary of the other 50 for the boss' pocket.

Ghost workers exist almost everywhere in Nigerian institutions. Take the case UNTH that is accredited to employ/train 160 house officers, but only employs about 140.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 06, 2016
The root cause of all these is nothing but corruption! A country that has been misruled for over 16 years by PDP low lifers, kindergarten presidents, etc; these atrocities cannot obviously be ruled out. Nigeria is in a new phase - the rebuilding phase championed by PMB. We are in the process of reversing the misrule of these evil men. Nigeria will be a better place to live. God bless Nigeria, God bless PMB, Amen

2 Likes

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by omogin(f): 10:01am On Jan 06, 2016
Very accurate position. The health ministry stinks and buhari is too old to know everything
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by omogin(f): 10:02am On Jan 06, 2016
JayJohnson:
Really
Very correct info
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by acorntree(m): 10:02am On Jan 06, 2016
which way Nigeria? Meritocracy only meant for the dogs.
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by yemmy75(m): 10:04am On Jan 06, 2016
Dr. Kene, thanks for bringing to the fore, the plight of medical interns
And mods, thanks for granting us a front page spot

1 Like

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by aprokomania(m): 10:05am On Jan 06, 2016
this exposē is quite apt and timely. I have seen this personally.
many of my classmates are yet to get placements.
it is a pity what Nigeria is turning into
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by totoakins(m): 10:09am On Jan 06, 2016
I just finished my internship in Eksuth and I can say u don't have to pay anyone money to get a placement ,u pay the 5k form fee n do an interview. the other point I don't like is you have to undergo medical tests of about 8k before resumption
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Chinwem(f): 10:09am On Jan 06, 2016
The people who don't even show up for the interview get the job at the end

3 Likes

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Johnsonifeoluwa(m): 10:09am On Jan 06, 2016
we can only keep praying and hoping for change its very sad and painful when your effort are not crown with success.................,.....

it will end in Blessing
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by guiltless(m): 10:11am On Jan 06, 2016
God help us!
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 06, 2016
Fg pls help ooo
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Chiscomax(m): 10:12am On Jan 06, 2016
H
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by guiltless(m): 10:13am On Jan 06, 2016
totoakins:
I just finished my internship in Eksuth and I can say u don't have to pay anyone money to get a placement ,u pay the 5k form fee n do an interview. the other point I don't like is you have to undergo medical tests of about 8k before resumption

did u finish from eksu?
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by leonard509(m): 10:22am On Jan 06, 2016
Sg
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by DrPlato: 10:24am On Jan 06, 2016
I just hope this will get to the appropriate quarters and necessary steps taken. Imagine, even to get placements from ur own school that you finished from still requires bribing someone.
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 06, 2016
Fact but the most annoying thing is that things like this can never be corrected! This is where corruption starts!
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Chidor6(m): 10:31am On Jan 06, 2016
This needs to get to the media house. Mr. Buhari needs to look into our CMDs.
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by yeltans(m): 10:37am On Jan 06, 2016
Very true
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 06, 2016
9ja.... cry cry
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Jckleiin(m): 10:41am On Jan 06, 2016
Very true doc. a colleage had to pay 100k to get his and another gave up a month's salary....God help this nation.
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by DOCTORDONE: 10:44am On Jan 06, 2016
Dr. Kene is saying the fact
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by leo1234(m): 10:47am On Jan 06, 2016
This kind of write up should be at the front page of national dailies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Nelly3(f): 10:49am On Jan 06, 2016
Which way nigeria? It is very disheartening[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by deniiQ: 10:52am On Jan 06, 2016
Nsogbu di in this country cry
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by richardoz(m): 10:53am On Jan 06, 2016
corruption everywhere!
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by donodion(m): 11:03am On Jan 06, 2016
omogin:
Very accurate position. The health ministry stinks and buhari is too old to know everything

I have been screaming this from the moment Buhari / PMB won. ministry of health and the allied parastatals ( training Institutions )deserve same attention and ferocity as cases of corruption against past administration.

I will enjoin every healthcare practitioner to engage the use of social media to expose the ills, rot and maladministration going on in our health sector.

The situation must change for good and it must start this season.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by donodion(m): 11:09am On Jan 06, 2016
Lizabeth25:
Fact but the most annoying thing is that things like this can never be corrected! This is where corruption starts!

That is where you are wrong and that's why corruption keep festeri g...' This is naija, na so we be'..huh? Who thought the high and mighty untoucheables could be exposed and be tried as is currently on going ?

Just as Obama campaign slogan " Yes WE Can"....believe, support, play your active in exposi g and cleansing the rot in our system ..we shall surely get there.

It always seem impossible, until its done- Late Nelson Mandela.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Redfruit(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2016
totoakins:
Which medical tests will take 8k?
Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by Kennydoc(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2016
JayJohnson:
The root cause of all these is nothing but corruption! A country that has been misruled for over 16 years by PDP low lifers, kindergarten presidents, etc; these atrocities cannot obviously be ruled out. Nigeria is in a new phase - the rebuilding phase championed by PMB. We are in the process of reversing the misrule of these evil men. Nigeria will be a better place to live. God bless Nigeria, God bless PMB, Amen

The way you people used to emphasise on the past 16years only shows that many of you have very short memory. Were things working in Nigeria before 1999? Why keep talking about the past 16 years as if Nigeria was an El Dorado prior to the era of PDP?

3 Likes

Re: Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) by totoakins(m): 11:11am On Jan 06, 2016
Redfruit:
Which medical tests will take 8k?
HIV,stool,urine MCs,genotype etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Healing Power of Palm Kernel oil / How Much Does It Cost To Run A Blood Test? ? / Nigerian HIV Prevalence By States 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.