Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,677 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Avoid This Mistake - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Avoid This Mistake (519 Views)

Career Mistake To Avoid If Your Love Your Job / Learn From My Mistake-make Hay While The Sun Shines. / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Avoid This Mistake by DonaldYusuf(m): 12:54pm On Jan 08, 2016
Often times you hear people say things like "I want to be like Aliko Dangote, I want to be like Tuface Idibia, I want to be like Bishop David Oyedepo, I want to be like Pastor Paul Enenche, I want to be like AY, I want to be like Linda Ikeji, etc.

When the story of Linda Ikeji's Banana Island mansion filtered through the social media, the hottest thing became "I want to have a blog like Linda Ikeji". Seriously

If you look very well, these people who are striving well in their field didn't set out 'to be like any other person'. They only discovered their potential, purpose and strength, and focused on building something - a purpose, a career, a business. You don't need to try to be like anyone, just be YOU. Be the YOU entrepreneur, be the YOU pastor, Be the YOU Comedian, be the YOU musician, be the YOU blogger.

It's very okay to be inspired by the successes of others but don't try to be like them. It's okay to have a mentor, but don't try to be like your mentor. I have been inspired by the success stories of young Nigerians especially in my field as a Technology entrepreneur and Business Consultant, but i don't try to be like them. I am me.

I have been inspired by Bamidele Onibalusi, but i am still me. I have been inspired by Fela Durotoye but i am still me. I have been inspired by Steve Harris, a very successful consultant, but I am still me. I have been inspired by Jason Njoku of iROKO TV, but i am still me. I like the idea of buying a white mansion in Banana Island, but i don't want to be Linda Ikeji, i want to do that as me.

It is an error for anyone to throw away his or her originality and try to be like someone else. Just be YOU and build the YOU career.

-Donald Yusuf.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Uber Partners/drivers In Lagos: How Is It Going? / Vacancy: IT Support Officer / Be Our Representative In Your Respective State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.