Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease (1486 Views)

1 In 9 Men Carry This Deadly STD That Causes Cancer / Mycoplasma Genitalium: What To Know About The New Sexually Transmitted Disease / New Deadly Disease Detected Worse Than Hiv/aids That Condoms Can’t Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by TreasureTayo(m): 5:18pm On Jan 08, 2016
LASSA FEVER
Lassa fever is spreading. Pls, avoid touching dead rats...! Share and save a life today. 35 deaths recorded already in 8 states... Symptoms includes

The incubation period of Lassa fever ranges from 6-21 days. The onset of the disease, when it is symptomatic, is usually gradual, starting with fever, general weakness, and malaise. After a few days, headache, sore throat, muscle pain, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, cough, and abdominal pain may follow. In severe cases facial swelling, fluid in the lung cavity, bleeding from the mouth, nose, vagina or gastrointestinal tract and low blood pressure may develop. Protein may be noted in the urine. Shock, seizures, tremor, disorientation, and coma may be seen in the later stages. Deafness occurs in 25% of patients who survive the disease. In half of these cases, hearing returns partially after 1-3 months. Transient hair loss and gait disturbance may occur during recovery.

Death usually occurs within 14 days of onset in fatal cases. The disease is especially severe late in pregnancy, with maternal death and/or fetal loss occurring in greater than 80% of cases during the third trimester.

Transmission

Humans usually become infected with Lassa virus from exposure to urine or faeces of infected Mastomys RATS. Lassa virus may also be spread between humans through direct contact with the blood, urine, faeces, or other bodily secretions of a person infected with Lassa fever. There is no epidemiological evidence supporting airborne spread between humans. Person-to-person transmission occurs in both community and health-care settings, where the virus may be spread by contaminated medical equipment, such as re-used needles. Sexual transmission of Lassa virus has been reported.

Lassa fever occurs in all age groups and both sexes. Persons at greatest risk are those living in rural areas where Mastomys are usually found, especially in communities with poor sanitation or crowded living conditions. Health workers are at risk if caring for Lassa fever patients in the absence of proper barrier nursing and infection control practices.

STAY AWAY FROM RATS AND KEEP FOOD STROAGE CLEAN. SHARE THIS AND SAVE LIVES...

. #GodBlessNigeria

Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by LOC1(m): 5:33pm On Jan 08, 2016
Ok
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by sinaj(f): 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2016
Is there no cure for it
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by TreasureTayo(m): 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2016
Not really bro. But early detection and fast treatment could save a life... Prevention they say is better than cure
sinaj:
Is there no cure for it
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by sinaj(f): 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2016
TreasureTayo:
Not really bro. But early detection and fast treatment could save a life... Prevention they say is better than cure
thanks for d info sis. smiley
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by TreasureTayo(m): 7:34am On Jan 15, 2016
Lol. Am a guy. Check my pix jor... And cutie u.. Nice pix uve got!
sinaj:
thanks for d info sis. smiley
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by sinaj(f): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2016
TreasureTayo:
Lol. Am a guy. Check my pix jor... And cutie u.. Nice pix uve got!
lol xo why did u call me bro tongue
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by TreasureTayo(m): 3:26pm On Jan 16, 2016
Lol. Just saw it m didn't chek bfrr jor. Anyws. How re u?
sinaj:
lol xo why did u call me bro tongue
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by sinaj(f): 4:26pm On Jan 16, 2016
TreasureTayo:
Lol. Just saw it m didn't chek bfrr jor. Anyws. How re u?
lol Itz ok

Me is fine n u
Re: Lassa Fever!!! Things To Know About This Deadly Disease by TreasureTayo(m): 12:27am On Jan 17, 2016
sinaj:
lol Itz ok

Me is fine n u
am fine too dearie.. I hope u dnt mind if i get to knw u better? grin grin grin... Anyws, dats me on ma PP

(1) (Reply)

(photo) World’s Fattest Woman Slims Down, To Walk Down The Aisle With Fiancé / 9 Health Facts About Newborn Babies...... No 5 Will SHOCK You / How Much Is CS Delivery At NISA Hospital Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.