Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,358 members, 7,819,286 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE (3749 Views)

Download Myfree Report To Learn How To Make Profitable Investment In Agriculture / Top 5 Reasons Why Poultry Farming Is So Lucrative In Nigeria- Marvejohndaily.com / Afdb Unveils Plan To Empower Nigerian Women In Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 6:43pm On Jan 08, 2016
IT is a good things when considering agriculture as a new source of income because of the government plans and policies about agriculture which could turn to our sovereign wealth but as many are considering this business, they do fail before, during or after production. There are resons why many fail in this venture and that is why there is a need to enlighten farmers that are interested in Agriculture.
Greediness: Many who plan venturing into agriculture do look at the profit end of farming before considering the expenses, knowledge, stress and other things involved. I would like to cite an example about a friend that I met who loves agriculture. He had already planted plantain on 7 acres of land, then he start planting water melon which he believe it will give a return of over 4 million naira after harvest but unfortunately lose majority of the water melons.
That you have been to a farm or work in a farm or your father or grandfather is a farmer does not guarantee success in farming. It is a business and operations could change due to time, disease and news skills involved.
Lack of proper planning: Having a proper plan or outline is highly needed to succeed in agriculture. For example, there is a need to do the feasibility study and have a business plan with a good outline before venturing into it. There is a need to consider some other factors like the produce market, nearness to labour, nearness to resources, nearness to road and others. Come to think of it, many do not think of conducting soil analysis before planting. Kindly plan well before you take any decision.
Lack of Knowledge and under informed: The knowledge am talking about is about having a deep knowledge of the crop to be planted or animals to be reared, how its being cultivated, the diseases that affect it, the plant physiology and so on. I will also like to state that many farmers do not know the impact of climate change on the crop they grow. I could remember a farm I visited and I saw the whole maize farm bringing out very small cob. This happened due to early rain cease which was not expected but unfortunately, there is no provision for irrigation.
If you know you don’t have a deep knowledge and experience about the crop to be planted or animal to be reared, it would be wise to employ the service of an experienced person who could manage the venture for you
Low capital: Capital is indeed a must to consider when venturing into agric. A lot of farmers want to start big without considering their financial capability. After start-up, they eventually run out of fund and this makes them lose the whole farm on the long run.
Consider your financial capability before you start or better still, partner with as many sincere people as you can to reduce the financial burden.
Experienced farmers: kindly add yours

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 08, 2016
Moyanbe:
IT is a good things when considering agriculture as a new source of income because of the government plans and policies about agriculture which could turn to our sovereign wealth but as many are considering this business, they do fail before, during or after production. There are resons why many fail in this venture and that is why there is a need to enlighten farmers that are interested in Agriculture.
Greediness: Many who plan venturing into agriculture do look at the profit end of farming before considering the expenses, knowledge, stress and other things involved. I would like to cite an example about a friend that I met who loves agriculture. He had already planted plantain on 7 acres of land, then he start planting water melon which he believe it will give a return of over 4 million naira after harvest but unfortunately lose majority of the water melons.
That you have been to a farm or work in a farm or your father or grandfather is a farmer does not guarantee success in farming. It is a business and operations could change due to time, disease and news skills involved.
Lack of proper planning: Having a proper plan or outline is highly needed to succeed in agriculture. For example, there is a need to do the feasibility study and have a business plan with a good outline before venturing into it. There is a need to consider some other factors like the produce market, nearness to labour, nearness to resources, nearness to road and others. Come to think of it, many do not think of conducting soil analysis before planting. Kindly plan well before you take any decision.
Lack of Knowledge and under informed: The knowledge am talking about is about having a deep knowledge of the crop to be planted or animals to be reared, how its being cultivated, the diseases that affect it, the plant physiology and so on. I will also like to state that many farmers do not know the impact of climate change on the crop they grow. I could remember a farm I visited and I saw the whole maize farm bringing out very small cob. This happened due to early rain cease which was not expected but unfortunately, there is no provision for irrigation.
If you know you don’t have a deep knowledge and experience about the crop to be planted or animal to be reared, it would be wise to employ the service of an experienced person who could manage the venture for you
Low capital: Capital is indeed a must to consider when venturing into agric. A lot of farmers want to start big without considering their financial capability. After start-up, they eventually run out of fund and this makes them lose the whole farm on the long run.
Consider your financial capability before you start or better still, partner with as many sincere people as you can to reduce the financial burden.
Experienced farmers: kindly add yours

nice write up. my first agricultural venture failed last year. I partnered with a farmer I thought was more experienced than I was. unfortunately no proper and adequate plan was made and the crops eventually wilted. I made far less than expected. zuberu386 is the moniker of the farmer I partnered with.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2016
coollabman:

nice write up. my first agricultural venture failed last year. I partnered with a farmer I thought was more experienced than I was. unfortunately no proper and adequate plan was made and the crops eventually wilted. I made far less than expected. zuberu386 is the moniker of the farmer I partnered with.
....so sorry for your loss, it is very good to conduct a good research on your manager or partner. Though your part is unavoided. i do have challenge with some people who provide money late for any activity to be done on the farm. am not blaming but trying to be fair on both sides.
......i believe this will make you have deeper understanding about the crop to venture into and your partner...
On a lighter note, you do not need to mention his moniker but its also left to him to defend himself.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2016
Moyanbe:

....so sorry for your loss, it is very good to conduct a good research on your manager or partner. Though your part is unavoided. i do have challenge with some people who provide money late for any activity to be done on the farm. am not blaming but trying to be fair on both sides.
......i believe this will make you have deeper understanding about the crop to venture into and your partner...
On a lighter note, you do not need to mention his moniker but its also left to him to defend himself.

thanks for the advice. I contributed my quota for the project upfront. I mentioned his moniker because of the attitude he displayed during the time I was expecting us to harvest and after the failure of the project. I can't even reach him on phone again. he has barred all my numbers and does his best to avoid communication with me. He was the manager of the project, hence the final bulk lies on his table. this individual blamed everything and everyone else apart from himself for the failure of the project. as far as I am concerned, from my observations, he did not do enough to ensure the success of the project and if I had know from the beginning that it was open air farming (or is it open field farming?) he was doing I would never had partnered with him.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 1:04am On Jan 09, 2016
coollabman:

thanks for the advice. I contributed my quota for the project upfront. I mentioned his moniker because of the attitude he displayed during the time I was expecting us to harvest and after the failure of the project. I can't even reach him on phone again. he has barred all my numbers and does his best to avoid communication with me. He was the manager of the project, hence the final bulk lies on his table. this individual blamed everything and everyone else apart from himself for the failure of the project. as far as I am concerned, from my observations, he did not do enough to ensure the success of the project and if I had know from the beginning that it was open air farming (or is it open field farming?) he was doing I would never had partnered with him.
i get your point right now. i believe you must have a deeper understanding by now and able to take a better decision later when venturing into agriculture... There are still a lot of opportunities in Agriculture...
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Nobody: 1:39am On Jan 09, 2016
Moyanbe:

i get your point right now. i believe you must have a deeper understanding by now and able to take a better decision later when venturing into agriculture... There are still a lot of opportunities in Agriculture...

yeah I know. I am in the process of bouncing back. thanks anyway
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by MayorSchwags(m): 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
coollabman:

yeah I know. I am in the process of bouncing back. thanks anyway
Sorry abt dat bro. These experiences attyms are important. Im sure its only made u beta. What are u into at the moment?
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Molayan: 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
Is it adviceable to partner with someone.? What of starting little. I ve 1acre of land and money to finance my farming dis season, but a friend has also shown interest to partner with me. He also has 1acre of land and finance as well. Though he wants to b a sleeping partner though. He planned to show up fully if d business(harvest) is successful Wat do U advice I do
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 5:44am On Jan 16, 2016
Molayan:
Is it adviceable to partner with someone.? What of starting little. I ve 1acre of land and money to finance my farming dis season, but a friend has also shown interest to partner with me. He also has 1acre of land and finance as well. Though he wants to b a sleeping partner though. He planned to show up fully if d business(harvest) is successful Wat do U advice I do
It is good to partner with someone cos it will reduce financial, mental and other types of stress involved on only you.
There are questions you need to ask yourself before you partner with him.
1. Will your partner be available to face farm challenges?
2. Is he not a type that mostly think of the profit more than the work involved?
3. If it fails, how will he likely react?
4. Is he also technically sound to contribute to the development of the farm project?
5. Is he of a good character or can I work with him?
..... Answer the questions and others you seems you can, it will be a guide
..... In conclusion, have a written agreement of the whole process and how profits will be shared.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Molayan: 3:01pm On Jan 16, 2016
Moyanbe:

It is good to partner with someone cos it will reduce financial, mental and other types of stress involved on only you.
There are questions you need to ask yourself before you partner with him.
1. Will your partner be available to face farm challenges?
2. Is he not a type that mostly think of the profit more than the work involved?
3. If it fails, how will he likely react?
4. Is he also technically sound to contribute to the development of the farm project?
5. Is he of a good character or can I work with him?
..... Answer the questions and others you seems you can, it will be a guide
..... In conclusion, have a written agreement of the whole process and how profits will be shared.
Thanks for your advice
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by ElCule: 1:35pm On Jan 17, 2016
Land has always been the greatest chalange.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 2:05pm On Jan 17, 2016
ElCule:
Land has always been the greatest chalange.
it is an undisputable fact that land is a major challenge when it comes to agriculture, but if you are able to move with people that are able to solve this challenge either by lease or low cost of purchase.
I have had different issues when coming to land especially those lazy people called omo onile. They can frustrate your plans and works on the field but if you make your research well, you will get land easily... Ask nairalanders in agric section
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Khodry(m): 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2016
pls experience farmers in the house how can I get a lease land in Ogun state in a suitable area for crop farming. Proximity to Lagos is of essence as well.....anticipating prompt response!
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 7:50pm On Jan 17, 2016
Getting land is quite the harder part of agricultural venture but nevertheless I will try to help if I can get a contact of people that lease their land for agricultural purpose here in ogun state, around abeokuta environment but I won't be involve in negotiations...
Khodry:
pls experience farmers in the house how can I get a lease land in Ogun state in a suitable area for crop farming. Proximity to Lagos is of essence as well.....anticipating prompt response!
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by ollyboy009(m): 8:14pm On Jan 17, 2016
Moyanbe:
Getting land is quite the harder part of agricultural venture but nevertheless I will try to help if I can get a contact of people that lease their land for agricultural purpose here in ogun state, around abeokuta environment but I won't be involve in negotiations...
God bless you a million times bro, i was the one that called few minutes back.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by ElCule: 9:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
Moyanbe:
it is an undisputable fact that land is a major challenge when it comes to agriculture, but if you are able to move with people that are able to solve this challenge either by lease or low cost of purchase.
I have had different issues when coming to land especially those lazy people called omo onile. They can frustrate your plans and works on the field but if you make your research well, you will get land easily... Ask nairalanders in agric section
spot on. Purchase remain the best option so, you make your plans without any interuption from anyone. All the same, we shall get there someday.
Re: 5 Reasons Why MANY Fail In AGRICULTURE by Moyanbe(m): 9:51pm On Jan 18, 2016
I agree with you that purchase is the best choice but consider the aspect of you expanding to about 50ha of land... Do you have enough capacity to buy? This is where govt and land stakeholders has to come in and solve this issue of land when it comes to agriculture.
ElCule:
spot on. Purchase remain the best option so, you make your plans without any interuption from anyone. All the same, we shall get there someday.
I see agricultural lands being destroyed daily for mining..... We are robbing Paul to pay Peter.... This will sure backfire

(1) (Reply)

Good News To All Farmers! Mechanized Agric Equipments For Profitable Farming / I Need A Breakdown Of Ugu Farming / Small Scale Poultry Processing Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.