Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,026 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:48 PM

Taking Those Baby Steps Towards Anything - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Taking Those Baby Steps Towards Anything (510 Views)

Shaykh Fawzaan Interrupts His Lecture To Stop People From Taking Pictures / Ruling On Celebrating ‘aashooraa’ Or Taking It As A Day Of Mourning / Whats Islam Ruling On Taking Photo,watching Videos,and Isbaal..proof Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Taking Those Baby Steps Towards Anything by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jan 10, 2016
Today I will be talking about making those baby steps...but making baby steps toward what? Wealth? Studies? Spirituality? Work? What?
Well, making those baby steps toward absolutely anything. I think it's important to talk about this now because I feel that quite a lot of people will be making plans, setting goals and making those much needed change. Before I start I want to tell you guys that you can do it! I don't care how high you're setting your goal or how big the changes you are making are... I just want to tell you to go for it! It's right there! it's yours.. Go get it! Nothing can beat a determined mind like yours! Go get it now!

So how do you 'get it'? How do you make those huge changes? How do you set goals and reach them? Well honestly the answers lies in having self awareness and taking baby steps. When I say self awareness, I mean know who you are, know where you stand and know where you are going. I think it's also very important to know about the stages of change which I will be talking about today.

Lets start with

Knowing who you are

You might want to ask questions like, why are you setting these goals? Why is it important for you to achieve this? What exactly are you aiming for? Is it to please someone else? Is it for your health benefit? What motivates you to achieve this?

Knowing where you stand

Where exactly are you right now? How far are you from making those changes? From achieving those goals? How long will it take you? Are you going to need extra support? or help from family members? So you want to quit smoking for example, How many packs do you smoke a day? How much are you spending on cigarette? How may do you think you can cut down in a day? In a week? I think it's impossible to know where you stand without knowing the stages of change.

What are the stages of change?

According to Prochaska’s Transtheoretical Model there are six cycle of change. Source: Kozier et al Fundamental of Canadian nursing concept, process, and practice.

Pre-contemplation
I think if we've all set goals and we all have plans then we are way pass this stage because this is the stage of denial. The refusal to acknowledge that there is a problem, or simply the refusal to believe that one can achieve. Thoughts like it's how I am and those people are just lucky are very common

Contemplation
Well this is where we acknowledge the problem. We start to think about it...we start to think about setting goals but then though, there is the intention to change, there isn't an intention to commit to an action.

Preparation
I think this is where quite a lot of us are at this time. This is where we all start planning. You know writing down those goals, writing down those sub goals and making those small changes.

Action
This is the stage where your determination takes over . This is where you carry out all those plans that you have. During this stage it's important to be consistent, patient and strong willed because it ain't that easy. Changes don't happen over night. They all require effort!

Maintenance
Did I mention that you need to be strong willed and determined? Well at this stage you are going to need those even more because this is where you do absolutely everything to prevent relapse. So at this change you might go back to looking at those plans and making changes so it suits your schedule.Say exercising in the evening doesn't seem to work for you because you work a night shift, at this point you might consider switching your work out to morning instead.

Termination
Yay! This is where we all want to get. At this there is no fear of relapse. So now exercise and eating healthy is now part of your regime! You've quit smoking and how successfully implemented that new habit. Congratulations!!!

Now whats the point?

Well, the point is that knowing about the stages of change allows you to know where you stand in making that change. It allows you understand where you are and where you're going. For example, exercise had been a beautiful part of my life for 2 whole months but after the holiday I relapsed. Now I'm back to the preparation stage. There is a new semester coming with a pretty hectic schedule so right now, I'm just planning ahead.

(1) (Reply)

Saudi arabia regarding the beginning od DHUL - HIJJAH / Re: Absolving The Ahlul-bait / Islam: Issues Like Racism And Ethnicity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.