Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Top 10 Nigerian University Websites - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Nigerian University Websites (1717 Views)

The Nigerian University With The Most Corrupt Lecturers? / Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / 10 Nigerian Universities With The Fastest Academic Calendar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:42pm On Jan 10, 2016
I had been working on a university project for a few hours when I had cause to go through the university’s website. As the home page opened, I was once again awed by the magnificent appeal this (foreign) university’s website impressed on me. At that instant I thought of going through websites of notable Nigerian universities – federal and private – to see how they compare to this university. The outcome of my adventure into this rigorous process of website-checking for all the 30+ top Nigerian universities surveyed, shocked me to my marrows. I was totally disappointed to see how poorly represented Nigerian public universities are on their websites even when compared to lower ranked universities abroad. Most of them had sites that were not even worthy of being called blogs. A notable trend though, was that private universities had better branding compared to the bulk of their public university counterparts, even though most of them didn’t rank as highly on league tables. A common problem amongst these “top” universities was that they had tabs on their sites that were unresponsive. Moreso, with most of the universities, it’s almost difficult to find anything regarding the research or academic activities of faculty/ students on the websites (isn’t that supposed to be the core of a university's existence?). In an age where computer science and ICT has become more accessible to any and everyone, and considering the funds at the disposal of some of these universities, one is forced to ask why a simple sophisticated website is hard to achieve.

Following my exploration, I have compiled a list of the universities with the best websites based on my observation. Since this is subjective, you might disagree between two closely ranked universities, but the difference becomes clear if you try to compare the 1st and 7th university’s websites for instance. This ranking is different from most others because the aim is not solely to make one university feel superior to another, but (hopefully) to awaken Nigerian institutions to the fact that their websites are viewed by a global audience, and the least they can do is to bring them up to the standard of what top universities should have.

The major criteria used in this ranking is “First impression”. That feeling of awe you have when you open up John Hopkins https://www.jhu.edu/, Yale or Imperial University’s websites.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:43pm On Jan 10, 2016
10. University of Nigeria Nsukka

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2016
9. University of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:45pm On Jan 10, 2016
8.Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2016
7. Babcock University

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:47pm On Jan 10, 2016
6. Landmark University

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
5. Covenant University

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
4. American University of Nigeria

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
3. Salem University (Ranked 3rd for excellent first impression. Not particularly spectacular in content and navigation)

1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:50pm On Jan 10, 2016
2. Benson Idahosa University

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 7:51pm On Jan 10, 2016
1. Pan Atlantic University

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Aspiregreat: 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2016
I honesty fell head -over- heels with "Salem university ".
such a beautiful interface...

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by berildan(m): 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2016
Aspiregreat:
I honesty fell head hills with "Salem university ".
such a beautiful interface...

Well said man, I'm glad you agree. It's website could easily be first on this ranking based on that alone.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Jammy2012(m): 10:41pm On Jan 10, 2016
What is this one saying? Where is better by far? undecided
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by fratermathy(m): 12:32am On Jan 11, 2016
Jammy2012:
What is this one saying? Where is better by far? undecided

Do you understand what this ranking is even about? undecided

Please take time to read the OP's post. Unilorin has dead links and the front page is cluttered.

OP you've done a good job. cool

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Chiscomax(m): 1:47am On Jan 11, 2016
11. Federal University Of Technology Owerri (FUTO)

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Chiscomax(m): 1:50am On Jan 11, 2016
berildan:
3. Salem University (Ranked 3rd for excellent first impression. Not particularly spectacular in content and navigation)

This is rubbish. why didn't they use the pic of their students as the background
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Xcely: 2:08am On Jan 11, 2016
Chiscomax:

This is rubbish. why didn't they use the pic of their students as the background

What is this one saying? Since when did you become student council president at Salem to know who is a student and who isnt? angry angry
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Chiscomax(m): 2:18am On Jan 11, 2016
Xcely:

What is this one saying? Since when did you become student council president at Salem to know who is a student and who isnt? angry angry

You are a Toad! Period.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Xcely: 11:58am On Jan 11, 2016
Chiscomax:

You are a Toad! Period.

They resort to invectives when they don't have a more rational response.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by Chiscomax(m): 3:48pm On Jan 11, 2016
Xcely:

They resort to invectives when they don't have a more rational response.

K
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by wroskian(m): 5:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
Good job Mr. Berildan, I hope Nigerian Universities will start taking issues pertaining to their branding, most importantly online presence serious.

Berildan, kindly reply my mail. Thanks.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian University Websites by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:33pm On Jan 11, 2016
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Buk Application For Admission Into Part-time Degree Programmes 2015/2016 Session / UNN Nsukka JAMB 2016 Registration Statistics By Department / I Need Seminar Topics On Environmental Microbiology:please HELP ME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.