Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,950 members, 7,956,579 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:32 PM

2017 Lexus LC 500. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2017 Lexus LC 500. (1554 Views)

2018 Lexus LC 500.. Pictures / The N60m 2018 Lexus LC – The Sporty Lexus You’ve Been Waiting For (photos) / 15 Things You Didn't Know About The 2018 Lexus LC 500 Coupe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2017 Lexus LC 500. by roku(m): 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
INTRODUCTION

The Lexus LF-LC originally debuted at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, and since then, Lexus debuted the LF-LC Concept 2. Later in 2015, we got our hands on some spy photos of the LF-LC testing under camo in production form. It has been few years of constant teasing, but Lexus has finally unveiled the Lexus LC500 – the production variant of the LF-LC that we’ve been waiting for.

As you can see from a quick look, the LC500 isn’t all that different from the previous LF-LC concepts that we’ve seen. It is still the same low-sitting, dramatically styled coupe that will probably prove to be the best thing to come out of Lexus in a long time. With its unveiling, we’ve learned a lot about the 2+2 coupe that promises to be the future of Lexus, and to be honest, I can’t wait to see it on the street.

Akio Toyoda, a Master Driver and Chief Brand Officer for Lexus, said, “The LC 500 has been an important product for Lexus and me personally. A few years ago, we decided to guide the future of the brand with products that had more passion and distinction in the luxury market. This flagship luxury coupe’s proportions, stunning design and performance make a strong statement about our brand’s emotional direction and will grow the Lexus luxury appeal globally.”

Of course, it’s not like you’ll see one at every corner. We’re not aware of pricing yet, but given the dramatic design and the details at hand, the car is sure to be reserved for those of the wealthier population. With that said, let’s take a look at Lexus’ new flagship luxury coupe and all the greatness that is Lexus LC500.

THE ENGINE

This is where the car really gets fun. Lurking under that hood is based on the 5.0-liter V-8 from the Lexus RC -F and GS-F. The most exciting part is that the V-8 pumps out a naturally aspirated and emotional 467 horsepower and 389 pound-feet of torque. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a newly developed 10-speed automatic transmission. At first, this might seem like a downfall to a car of this caliber, but with a new electronic control system the can anticipate the driver’s next move, the transmission can shift fast enough to rival the dual-clutch transmission.

On top of a dual intake inlet that helps the engine breathe and create a superior sound, the car also has an active exhaust system. In sport mode, the exhaust baffles open to give a more aggressive exhaust noise, even at start up. In normal mode, the baffles remain closed until the engine hits 3,500 rpm, at which point they open to provide better exhaust flow and the same aggressive sound.

With this 467 horsepower engine, 10-speed transmission, and active exhaust, the LC500 can hit 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds. Lexus hasn’t announced the car’s top speed or other performance figures, but as soon as those become available, we’ll be sure to update you.

PRICING
According to recent rumors, the LC500 will run somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000. Given its awesome styling and stout drivetrain, we think that is a pretty fair price range.

COMPETITION

Porsche 911 Turbo

Porsche has been busy at work refreshing the 911 line. On paper, the refreshed Porsche 911 Turbo will clearly beat out the LC500 in the 60 mph sprint and likely top speed as well. It hits the benchmark in 2.9 seconds with a top speed of 198 mph. On the other hand, the LC500 has that 10-speed automatic transmission and a naturally aspirated engine. We’re not sure on the pricing of the LC500, but the Porsche goes for 159,200, which will probably be about $10,000 higher than what I think the LC500 will go for when it hits showrooms. I’m curious to see just how well the naturally aspirated LC500 competes with the 911 Turbo on the track and the drag strip. Something tells me that, despite the 911’s clear advantage in power and acceleration, that the LC500 will hold its own pretty well. If nothing else, it certainly looks a lot cooler – at least in my opinion anyway.

Mercedes S550 4matic Coupe

The Porsche 911 may be a little better, at least performance-wise on paper anyway, but the Mercedes S550 4MATIC gets pretty close. The S550 is powered by a 4.7-liter Biturbo V-8 that pumps out 449 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. Granted it is a bit torquier than the LC500, but it hits the 60 mph benchmark in 4.5 seconds. It even has Mercedes ’ form of active exhaust, allowing the engine to provide a throaty sound even at startup. It would be a lot of fun to put the LC500 against the S550, but there is one thing the LC500 has that the Merc doesn’t – the soul created by that naturally aspirated engine. It’s just not the same when you go turbo. The S550 starts out around $123,000, which will be right in the range of pricing I expect the LC500 to fall into. If nothing else, the S550 may be a few grand cheaper – at least before you go crazy on options anyway.

CONCLUSION
Where do I even start? I guess I can start off by saying that I better save up a lot of cheddar. I love the look of the LC500 and the fact that it has a naturally aspirated engine. I’m sure the pricing will be somewhere between $130,000 and $150,000, but for something that looks as extreme inside and out, I think that is a rather fair price. My only concern is that the LC500 will probably end up being a limited run, as it would take a lot of creativity to top what Lexus has already done with the car. I can’t see a refresh in the future doing anything but disturbing the art that is the LC500. Hopefully, Lexus can take the motivation it has from this car and use it to improve the rest of its line. If they do, I think the company is going to bring a lot of competition all segments.

1 Share

Re: 2017 Lexus LC 500. by Lexusgs430: 12:41am On Jan 13, 2016
I already ordered one LC500!!!!
Re: 2017 Lexus LC 500. by king406(m): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2016
10 speed auto shocked
Re: 2017 Lexus LC 500. by kingreign(m): 4:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
king406:
10 speed auto shocked

It's an over do. embarassed
Re: 2017 Lexus LC 500. by laptopsale(m): 5:10pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nice car, but what purpose is the 10-speed gear going to serve if I may ask, to me its uncalled for.
Re: 2017 Lexus LC 500. by Originalsly: 9:16pm On Jan 13, 2016
Hmmm...all that speed to drive on which road? So it's the active exhaust system that makes that throaty sound... of late been hearing it from the more powerful Benz and BMW when accelerating kinda hard. BTW.. saw the new MB GL something earlier...looks like the BMW X6 but not as pretty.

(1) (Reply)

The Hidden Danger Of Worn Out Shock Absorbers / Double Decker Keke, As Seen In Lagos / Made In Nigeria Limousine Car, By John Nkworka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.