Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon (886 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match / Rafael Nadal Vs Roger Federer Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by gyde(m): 8:08pm On Jun 19, 2009
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19062009/58/wimbledon-nadal-pulls-wimbledon.html

Champion Rafael Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon after losing his battle to recover from a knee injury.

Unfortunately this year I won't be able to play at Wimbledon," he said.

The Spaniard, who has been struggling with tendinitis in his knees since being knocked out of the French Open last month, tested his fitness in two exhibition matches this week.

After losing both matches he decided not to defend his Wimbledon title, just three days before the start of the major.

Nadal will be the first man not to defend his All England Club crown since Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic skipped the grasscourt Grand Slam in 2002.

"Not to play Wimbledon is one of the toughest decisions in my career but the decision was made easier because I don't feel ready to compete at 100 percent," said Nadal, who becomes only the third man unable to defend his title at the championships.

"I don't feel like I'm ready to play in a tournament that is as important as Wimbledon.

"I tried everything, I tried hard in the last week to get in the best condition and today was my last test," added the world number one, who tried to play through the pain in an exhibition match against Stanislas Wawrinka at the Hurlingham Club on Friday.

"I didn't feel terrible but I was not at my best."
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by Sauron1: 8:12pm On Jun 19, 2009
gyde:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19062009/58/wimbledon-nadal-pulls-wimbledon.html

Champion Rafael Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon after losing his battle to recover from a knee injury.

Unfortunately this year I won't be able to play at Wimbledon," he said.

The Spaniard, who has been struggling with tendinitis in his knees since being knocked out of the French Open last month, tested his fitness in two exhibition matches this week.

After losing both matches he decided not to defend his Wimbledon title, just three days before the start of the major.

Nadal will be the first man not to defend his All England Club crown since Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic skipped the grasscourt Grand Slam in 2002.

"Not to play Wimbledon is one of the toughest decisions in my career but the decision was made easier because I don't feel ready to compete at 100 percent," said Nadal, who becomes only the third man unable to defend his title at the championships.

"I don't feel like I'm ready to play in a tournament that is as important as Wimbledon.

"I tried everything, I tried hard in the last week to get in the best condition and today was my last test," added the world number one, who tried to play through the pain in an exhibition match against Stanislas Wawrinka at the Hurlingham Club on Friday.

"I didn't feel terrible but I was not at my best."

This is BAD news. . . . . . Easy ride for Roger Federer.
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by MrCrackles(m): 8:13pm On Jun 19, 2009
Wow, this is dodgy shocked shocked shocked shocked
I saw this dude practising with Murray on wednesday and he didnt look troubled!
Oh well!
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by maruchi(m): 8:32pm On Jun 19, 2009
great news for federer supporters lyk me, YEEPEE!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by DrKitaun(m): 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2009
even with NADAL fit, FEDEX would have won cool

Nadal just had to excuse himself grin grin
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by JeSoul(f): 12:14am On Jun 20, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

Nadal just had to excuse himself
grin grin

hehe  grin
but seriously, it would have been better for tennis had Nadal been able to play. Maruchi, its good news for FedEx but Federer doesn't need any handouts  tongue   cheesy  Rafa should come and face the music  cool.
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by dayokanu(m): 1:54am On Jun 20, 2009
Why is Nadal running away from FEDEX?
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by gyde(m): 12:30pm On Jun 20, 2009
dayokanu:

Why is Nadal running away from FEDEX?

Nadal doesnt back out of challenges,the guy is a bull,bulls come at you full throttle,well,thats if they are not injured

Dr Kitaun:

Nadal just had to excuse himself grin grin

why are you hating on Nadal,he is proven over the years that he is capable of taking out federer on any surface,why should he find any excuse when he could do it many more times,he is done it 11times already

MrCrackles:

Wow, this is dodgy shocked shocked shocked shocked
I saw this dude practising with Murray on wednesday and he didnt look troubled!
Oh well!

U expect him to be whining in pain

maruchi:

great news for federer supporters lyk me, YEEPEE!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cool

I am a federer fan too,but I just enjoy stiff competitions,i want to see federer at his best,his mental strenght coming to play,nadal has been able to push federer all the way,something anyone scarcely does before,now i just think wimbledon would be boring,except of cause Murray and Novak step up,I do pray for that seriosly,i want to see an interesting 2weeks of tennis
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by dayokanu(m): 5:10pm On Jun 20, 2009
Can you guys stop mentioning Murray amongst contenders?

No one from the UK can ever win a Grand Slam in this age

They lack the talent except for Hooliganism
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by chidichris(m): 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2009
this news is a great relief for me. the guy always pose himself as a terror for my cool friend federer.

oya fed do ur thing. i stopped watching the game and loosing interest when this nadal will fearlessly beat my guy in my presence.

like i said, this is a good news. let him relaxe small.
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by maruchi(m): 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2009
"Can you guys stop mentioning Murray amongst contenders?

No one from the UK can ever win a Grand Slam in this age

They lack the talent except for Hooliganism"

, lol, i quite agree Scots are hooligans buh i see Murray as Federer's only competitor, Point of order here, a Brit(Fred Perry) has won the Wimbledon wayback,so there is no ruling out Murray, Right now,Djokovic is out and Murray's been improving match after match, Sincerely, i'm looking up to a Murray-Federer final at Wimbledon, i don't know 'bout u,
Re: Nadal Withdraws From Wimbledon by dayokanu(m): 2:20am On Jul 02, 2009
You mention Fred Perry? which year was that? Definitely not in the last 50 years

(1) (Reply)

Button Joins Hamilton At Mclaren - Schumacher signs up for F1 / Indoor Sport Hall Construction / Coaching Badges In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.