Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card (35494 Views)

A Debit Card I Can Use To Shop On Alixpress / What Is The Difference Between A Prepaid Card, A Credit Card, And A Debit Card? / I Cannot Use My Debit Card For International Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2016
These small small yahoo boys for Lagos and rappers with their pre owned Range Rovers, if you care to impress me then show me your American Express Centurion card aka Black card grin
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by LydayBobo(m): 2:47pm On Jan 14, 2016
activelyA:

Thanks!
But...

Aaah...loan from Nigeria banks
Does the credit card thrive at all in Nigeria?
Yes it does. I have one. The Gold card. I call it card with benefits...
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 14, 2016
missKiffy:
fighal is credit card available in Nigeria?
yea..
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by commodorejydes(m): 3:20pm On Jan 14, 2016
linearity:

It will be hard to live in countries like the US that uses the credit rating system...the system establishes trust and score individuals base on their trust levels. You can rent a car with your debit card or huge pile of cash, but with a credit card, you are in and out within minutes. You can't buy a house without credit, even if you have the cash in your bank to do it, you want to refresh from doing it, because any cash or check transaction of $10k and above is reported to the FBI by law, so they will dwell on your case and satisfy themselves that it is not illegal money and that you are not laundering money, also make such your taxes are up to day; too many wahala with it that, people just opt for the credit card and establish a disciplined pattern of paying it off each time.

The idea is simple, the car rental place, or the next bank or business believes that if a prior bank trust you enough to give you a credit card, then they too can trust you and will give you a credit or believe that you will return their card...and the more banks and institutions that trust you, the better and old trust relationships are valued higher than new ones, that is why you do not want to close that old credit card account simply because you do not need it.

nice 1 Bro, very insightful
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
Bros Thanks for dis But Wich one can I use in buying Application online
you can use both credit and debit cards for your online transactions as long as they are accepted by the merchant's site
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 14, 2016
linearity:

Not quite, you also open a bank account for your credit card, but it is a credit account with a limit and for debit cards, you open a debit account with your cash balance + (over draft protection, if applicable) as your limit.

Also, you do pay interest on credit transactions, if you pay off your balance within the grace period, which is usually 25 or 30 days after your statement closing date.

One of the big major difference is, you have more protection from credit cards compare to debit cards when it comes to fraud, if I don't recognize a transaction on my credit card statement, a single 2 minutes call deletes that transaction and I will be made whole immediate, for debit transactions, though one might get their money back (with some limit), but it will take time.
my definition is based on the global market. U re most likely targeting Nigeria and other african countries. Thanks for your contributions.. I really appreciate
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 14, 2016
charlesucheh:
THANKS ... BUT WHERE DO THE MONIES BEING DEDUCTED FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH TIME YOU MAKE PAYMENTS COME FROM? AREN'T THEY FROM A PARTICULAR BANK ACCOUNT OR DOES IT MEAN THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY SERVE AS INTERMEDIARY BETWEEN YOU AND THE BANK YOU DEAL WITH
In Nigeria Only Banks issue credit cards.. They pay for you when u transact and u pay later.. There's a naira credit card available in most banks in the country. You Fund the card and use it when you want to carry out a transaction and you can also use it at the ATM.. I will be write more on this type of card in my next post..
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by marieolae(f): 3:54pm On Jan 14, 2016
undecided
souleymon:

You will when you live legally in countries that offer it
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 14, 2016
kunle75:

Alot of rily dont know about it but for some that are aware have taken advantage of it while some people like dont wnt to live beyond my income........... but it helps as long as one have the capacity to refund at the agreed time/date
yea it does
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2016
scantee:
@OP can one use up to 10m from his CC? do you have idea of their maximum limit?
10m?.. Baba u want relocate with the money ni?
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by frenchboy(m): 4:10pm On Jan 14, 2016
Tnx for this..that is aour atm is debit card.that means credit card wil be hard to get...
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
These small small yahoo boys for Lagos and rappers with their pre owned Range Rovers, if you care to impress me then show me your American Express Centurion card aka Black card grin
lol, baba u no get joy o

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by InvertedHammer: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2016
/
Per agreement with your bank:

Credit card is used to spend borrowed money. You will pay back the loan with interest

Debit card is used to spend the money you deposited in your account.e.g. using your ATM card in a POS
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice one bro...keep it up
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by linearity: 5:36pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Maybe a typo but you DON'T pay interest during grace period on new purchase.

If you buy on credit and pay off the balance within that 20 - 25 day grace period then no interest is charged.

Yes oh, na typo; interest is not charged during grace period. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 14, 2016
fighal:
lol, baba u no get joy o

So you sabi that card?

Na by invitation only and $10,000 fee plus you have to be a millionaire (in US$), no preset spending limit.

A painting purchase was charged to it by a Chinese customer for $170million shocked
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 14, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
Per agreement with your bank:

Credit card is used to spend borrowed money. You will pay back the loan with interest

Debit card is used to spend the money you deposited in your account.e.g. using your ATM card in a POS

...if you don't pay off the charges before the due date at the end of the month.

This is important to note.
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

So you sabi that card?

Na by invitation only and $10,000 fee plus you have to be a millionaire (in US$), no preset spending limit.

A painting purchase was charged to it by a Chinese customer for $170million shocked
that card seperate men 4rm boys

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 14, 2016
frenchboy:
Tnx for this..that is aour atm is debit card.that means credit card wil be hard to get...
yea our atm cards are mostly debit cards
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 14, 2016
marieolae:
Never have and never will own a credit card.

You will be forced to have 1,if you dealing mostly on online trade or any foreign business stuff
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 14, 2016
godfirstawe:
So simply.
Debit and credit
Debit. .- withdrawing from your savings Credit- withdrawing in advance.

Teacher don't teacher me nonsense (in fela's voice)
We need teachers like you, that will convert complex Algebra to simple ABC/123

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by 2n2k(m): 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Maybe a typo but you DON'T pay interest during grace period on new purchase.

If you buy on credit and pay off the balance within that 20 - 25 day grace period then no interest is charged.

Grace period however applies to POS and online transactions only. If you withdraw cash from ATM using credit card, there won't be grace period for that transaction.
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2016
2n2k:

Grace period however applies to POS and online transactions only. If you withdraw cash from ATM using credit card, there won't be grace period for that transaction.

And that's why I stated "new purchases".

But since you want to address using a credit card as a personal loan then we should add that cash withdrawals incur a higher interest rate than purchases, in most cases.
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by InvertedHammer: 8:22pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

...if you don't pay off the charges before the due date at the end of the month.

This is important to note.

Very correct!!!

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by scantee(m): 8:29pm On Jan 14, 2016
fighal:
10m?.. Baba u want relocate with the money ni?
haa haa e go make sense na if dem go allow it
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 14, 2016
scantee:
haa haa e go make sense na if dem go allow it
lol
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 14, 2016
great664:
Nigeria is not ripe for credit card only MtN Glo and airtel gives E-Credit card for making calls alone

You took words out of my mouth. Not that Nigerians are unaware of credit cards but are not yet ripe for this type of service. if a credit card is issued to them and after exhausting their limit, the next thing to think of is abandoning the card. The e-credit from mobile network operators comes to mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by Addicted2Women: 12:15am On Jan 15, 2016
In America, credit card is the real deal.
They use credit cards to build credit score.
Credit score is what determines if you can get a car loan or house mortgage.
The more you use your credit card and pay for it, the more your credit score goes up and you are qualified to buy a car or house in credit.

Debit card is the type of card you go to the store, hand them your money and they will out the money in your card and you can use that card to purchase anything in any store or online.

Credit card is the type of card the bank or money institution gives you, it already have money in it, it's like borrowing money, you pay back the money in small portion.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by linearity: 3:18am On Jan 15, 2016
EgunMogaji:

And that's why I stated "new purchases".

But since you want to address using a credit card as a personal loan then we should add that cash withdrawals incur a higher interest rate than purchases, in most cases.

True talk, it also be mentioned that, using credit cards as personal loan facility is a bad bad idea. That is when the banks gets you, talk to your banker, since you qualified for credit cards, chances are you may also qualify for a personal line of credit or a signature loan, their interest rates are far lower than the cash advance through your credit card.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by warrenweste(m): 11:16am On Jan 20, 2016
dustydee:
I got one from Ecobank in 2007. I took some money (about 200k) and paid back but the teller did not credit the account. Months later I got a letter saying I was owing them. I went to the bank and complained and showed them the deposit slip. The said they'd investigate. After a few months I got a letter again with increased. I went to the branch and complained and they promised to investigate, I had to pay the interest as it was increasing. Never heard from them again and didn't bother to follow-up on the "investigation" even though I had paid them. The initial interest was less than 10k by the time I paid it off it was almost 30k.
The most annoying part was that I took the money to "help" someone out and not for my personal use. sad

pls which of their cards?
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by dustydee: 11:17am On Jan 20, 2016
warrenweste:

pls which of their cards?
I can't remember the name. I shredded it afterwards.
Re: The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card by warrenweste(m): 11:19am On Jan 20, 2016
dustydee:

I can't remember the name. I shredded it afterwards.

lolz u they vex o cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MTN CEO, Ahmad Farroukh Resigns / I Have Trained Five Graduates With Proceeds From Roasted Yam Business - Woman / CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.