Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. (11428 Views)

Federal Health Workers Under The Umbrella Of JOHESU Embark On Indefinite Trike / Ondo Sends Lassa Fever Patient Back To Edo / Lassa Fever Patient Escapes From A Hospital In Ebonyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by ennysuccess(m): 11:21am On Jan 14, 2016
Hahaha
Endtime Sickness
Endtime Nurses
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by refiner(f): 11:22am On Jan 14, 2016
does it spread thru body contact
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by webincomeplus(m): 11:22am On Jan 14, 2016
Nigerians can open their mouths to criticise anything. It's understandable that the health workers retreated at first to wear protective kits.

One of the golden rules of Medicine is that doctors protect themselves as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the average Nigerian wants doctors to risk their own lives while trying to save others.

If they lose their lives now, they lose it for nothing. This is Nigeria where there is nothing like compensation, etc. It would be silly for anyone to risk losing his or her life and subject his dependants to long-term pain and hardship.
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by MCMLXXVI(m): 11:25am On Jan 14, 2016
dominique:
A whole teaching hospital! Very pathetic and shameful to say the least.

I'm not happy with the fact that Lassa fever is not getting enough publicity like Ebola did yet it has claimed more victims than Ebola.

No. We are currently fighting kwarrapshan.
Please check back later.

Love,
Bull Harry.
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by free2ryhme: 11:25am On Jan 14, 2016
Nurses and doctors has duty of care to treat patients no matter their condition. It is grossly unethical and unprofessional for health professionals to run away from patients . It is just like soldier running away from wars. Any health professionals who run away from patients should be dismissed.

Sanity must be brought to Nigeria through President Buhari and his team. Enough is enough about indiscipline among Nigerians.
After all said and done, all health professionals in Nigeria should be immunized against hepatitis A,B and tetanus with full payment by the Federal and State Government.

Health care professionals should also be given three yearly typhoid fever vaccine. Our infection prevention and control in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. They should be adequately trained and prepared to face challenges in health-care delivery in Nigeria.
Enough of non payment of salary by our egocentric Governors in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria and Nigerians
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by toma3: 11:25am On Jan 14, 2016
I will not blame health workers because are not entitled to hazard allowance
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by gossipatrol(f): 11:26am On Jan 14, 2016
dominique:

I'm not happy with the fact that Lassa fever is not getting enough publicity like Ebola did yet it has claimed more victims than Ebola.
there is even an improvement now because of the Ebola publicity that brought the dangers of such virus to light. Lassa fever has been killing people in that ekpoma, Irrua vicinity long before now but nobody paid any attention. They even have the research lab at Irrua but no funding. It's becos it has spread that has brought about this little attention which is better than before

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 14, 2016
dominique:

Good observation there. Very good one.
You tend to wonder. Maybe because the world is not looking at us. One would have thought that the Ebola drama would make our CDC and Major health centers become ever ready for such highly contagious and deadly diseases.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by dominique(f): 11:40am On Jan 14, 2016
gossipatrol:
there is even an improvement now because of the Ebola publicity that brought the dangers of such virus to light. Lassa fever has been killing people in that ekpoma, Irrua vicinity long before now but nobody paid any attention. They even have the research lab at Irrua but no funding. It's becos it has spread that has brought about this little attention which is better than before

Here in Lagos, people are just going about their daily routine. I'm yet to hear of anybody taking any measures to prevent the disease or enlighten others . Back in 2014 even my children in nursery scooo knew about Ebola and always wanted to wash their hands. Now everyone is just relaxed. It's quite disturbing knowing that the has covered more areas and claimed more lives than Ebola yet the government is not doing much.

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by DrWillie(m): 11:41am On Jan 14, 2016
People accusing them of being unprofessional should tell me if they can risk their lives for anyone. Especially when some corrupt idiots have stolen the money meant to equip the hospitals to prevent infection.
Ask your govt to equip the hospitals with all necessary amenities before judging them. And dont forget that this is life and death not some stupid play.
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Jahblessme: 11:57am On Jan 14, 2016
Why should they not flee? Why should they sacrifice their lives like that to please the same people who would turn on them at the drop of a hat if they asked for better pay and better working conditions?
In a sane clime,the hospital should have a unit specially dedicated to patients who might come in with the illness,plus proper protective clothing for the health workers and also training done for the medical staff on the protocol to follow when handling such a scenario.

So let's say they die after rushing to the patient and being selfless,is there any insurance cover for them,will any one care for their families?If they do a funding drive to help the family will you donate??

If it's me I will FLEE and not go near unless i have the complete protective gear.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Jacko01: 12:00pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nigerian medical practitioners ehn na wa......
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 14, 2016
davuvid:
Those health workers should be sanctioned
I concur! most of them no even get human sympathy, they work for the cash.
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by VintageCocktail(m): 12:15pm On Jan 14, 2016
With only 5000 naira as hazard allowance, I say fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 14, 2016
Ebukaobi:
Who wan die

People can criticise them all they want but what would do differently?

They don't have the facilities or expertise to deal with this disease

Not everybody wants to be a hero like Dr Adadevoh
i don't even c where health workers run away in d report.
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 1:09pm On Jan 14, 2016
Wait, does it mean that the president is not aware of this virus. I think is pathetic and we should start thinking of possible replacement should the death toll increases. Nonesense.!!!
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by wittyt98(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2016
lol....admin ..u no go like go treat the person?

Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by DOCTORDONE: 4:59pm On Jan 14, 2016
Hmmmm!
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Onyiido: 6:46pm On Jan 14, 2016
davuvid:
Those health workers should be sanctioned
Make I hear say u no run if na u
Re: Health Workers Flee From Suspected Lassa Fever Patient. by Kcinho(m): 2:48am On Jan 15, 2016
In as much as it's wrong to flee from responsibility especially patient's care, I would love the minister to STFU cos the standard of practice in all our institutions from primary to tertiary is below Zero especially for these infectious diseases. How many hospitals have protective suits? Ordinary face masks na luxury for Naija. And when you consider your hazard allowance is 5k. Every state in Nigeria should have a tertiary hospital for active management of lassa fever by now if he is a serious person and not this rubbish of sending unstable patients to Irua in Edo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Obesity Growing Out Of Proportion? / NMA Arrests Fake Doctor In Rivers / What Makes Doctors' Handwriting Rough?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.