Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,622 members, 7,770,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:41 PM

Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. (30315 Views)

Davido’s “assurance Falz’s “this Is Nigeria” Lead Nigerian Songs Released In May / Top Ten Hottest Nigerian Songs Released In May 2018 / List Of 150 Of The Greatest Nigerian Songs By Naptu2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Sweetguy25: 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2016
Hmm vxs
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2016
Avedon:
Don't forget to add Funmi Adams

Omolaso and Ina Gizo Yake, right?
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by contactmorak: 8:19pm On Jan 18, 2016
Amazing. Well it may intterest you to know that Oliver Decoque's son, Safin Decoque who is a hiphop artiste in 2014 did a remix of his father's hit Biri kam Biri. The remix here audion here...http://notjustok.com/wp-content/
uploads/2014/06/Safin-De-Coque-Biri-Ka-
Mbiri.mp3

Also note that Salawa Abeni's son Big Sheff also remixed his mom's evergreen hit 'Gentle Lady' in whch he featured her. Watch one of their performances here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMYO8wSkh18
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by anonimi: 8:39pm On Jan 18, 2016
naptu2:
This thread contains videos of classic Nigerian songs and their cover versions/remixes.

We start with music from legendary Nigerian highlife singer and trumpeter, Cardinal Rex Rex Jim Lawson.

Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson - Sawale (1960s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOXi3bJ7ug

Feladey - Sawale (c1991)
I cannot find a video of this version.

Flavour - Nwa Baby (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSTYtMSbL0

The song was also covered by some Ethiopians, so here is the Ethiopian version.

Ziggy Zaga ft.Teddy Yo - Sawa Sewalegn (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmbCm1nqKo

Thanks naptu2 for another masterpiece of a thread.
I think Mike Okri did a cover of Sawale in the 80s also.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by swedge218: 8:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
naptu2:
Does anybody know the name of the Bongos Ikue song (which he sang in Idoma language) that was covered by the Plantashun Boyz?

Would that be oklobimatete? Sold out album?
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 18, 2016
naptu2:
This is an absolute classic. It was originally done by Dr Victor Olaiya. It was covered by Art Alade in the 1980s and I watched him perform it many times on the Art Alade Show. Lieutenant Shotgun covered it in the 1990s and Dr Victor Olaiya remixed it again and this time he had 2Face Idibia with him.

Dr Victor Olaiya - Baby Jowo (1960s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY_giUcA9s

Art Alade - Baby Jowo (c1985)

Lieutenant Shotgun - Baby Jowo (c1992)

Dr Victor Olaiya ft 2Face Idibia - Baby Jowo - 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enf68hEsvys

Much respect to Dr. Victor Olaiya but the lieutenant Shotgun version was da bomb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:43pm On Jan 18, 2016
I.K. Dairo - Mo Sorire (1960s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xCRAnjc60

Paul Play Dairo - Mo Sorire (mid 2000s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp59ewWnOtc

1 Like

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
anonimi:

Thanks naptu2 for another masterpiece of a thread.
I think Mike Okri did a cover of as Sawale in the 80s also.

Thanks. I'm not sure, but I think the one you are referring to is the Feladey version. Unfortunately I don't have the video for that version.

1 Like

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by superted87: 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
Jdesilentkiller:
Nice thread op, keep it up.

I love old school music, the bring back memories of my children when everything was simple and no bombings.
[b][/b]

Memories of your children ke ?? It's memories of your childhood... Pls do d needful.

2 Likes

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by ladenz(m): 9:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
Please does anyone know the original of Olamides hits, melo melo and Eleda mi. I know they aren't original but I can't remember where I've heard them before
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Ishilove: 9:28pm On Jan 18, 2016
Omigosh!! Naptu2, I love you!! cheesy

I've been dancing nonstop since I clicked on this thread cheesy

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
It's unfortunate Ralph Amarabem of the Peacock Dance Band suffered blindness before his death some seven years ago. He was the guitarist of Rex Lawson till around 1966/67 when he, like some other people, relocated to their regions of origin due to the pogrom and Civil War. He relocated to Owerri, East Central State. Rex Lawson replaced him with David Bull (from Bunny, Rivers State), who relocated from Gboko, Benue-Plateau State to Port-Harcourt.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:44pm On Jan 18, 2016
swedge218:

I love that song by the Plantaziun Boyz.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Excuzeme: 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
Okeycima:
What seem funny about all this remix u posted here is that the ones remixed by current artist is that none of the work of oliver de coque,bright chimezie and morroco been remix becos those guys to me r classicals,AND TALKIN ABOUT REMIX if nigeria is a lawful country most of this artist will b facing law suit

Abeg Parkwell joor!
Naptu did not say he has exhausted on Remixes in the musical space of Nigeria, ...did he?

Even in LA, they do remix over and over again....... the only thing is you take permission from the copyright owner before you do it.

but after many years and some songs have become "public songs", you can even do the remix without permission (I think there is a certain number of years when copyright/ becomes obsolete.

A song has to be "Up there" ... before anyone can even think of doing a remix of it because its the old version that sells the remix, at first release.

@Naptu: Respects! Keep it coming Pls.

What we did with that "Raise-da-Ruff by Jazzman Olofin" ehn? only God can forgive Boys in those days At the University.
The base guitar and tune was from the "party Anthem" of the late 70s' early 80's - "Set it off".

Even if you dont like to dance, one the Record hits the turntable and the Big Kenwood Speaker, backed by a Binatone Amplifier and Reverbrator churns out that tune, Abeg, you will just find your self floating, so to speak.
Many a Boys got banned from school because something went wrong at the "Lit Party"! cry

There is these guys from St Gregory's college back then (77 - 81), not sure but l think their name is Ofege? Any clues on them?
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 9:49pm On Jan 18, 2016
neoapocalypse:

Much respect to Dr. Victor Olaiya but the lieutenant Shotgun version was da bomb

Let me see if I can remember (I hope I don't mangle it).

♪She say she want me to be together all the time, because you are always the one on my mind. . . don't you leave me in a hurry, you just might end up sorry.

Don't need to worry about your pretty face, because you can't settle down in one place. . .♬

Something like that.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:51pm On Jan 18, 2016
superted87:
[b][/b]

Memories of your children ke ?? It's memories of your childhood... Pls do d needful.
thanks

I was in a hurry
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 9:52pm On Jan 18, 2016
swedge218:

Thank you very much, I think that's it. I just wish I had the videos of both the original and the cover version.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 10:12pm On Jan 18, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
It's unfortunate Ralph Amarabem of the Peacock Dance Band suffered blindness before his death some seven years ago. He was the guitarist of Rex Lawson till around 1966/67 when he, like some other people, relocated to their regions of origin due to the pogrom and Civil War. He relocated to Owerri, East Central State. Rex Lawson replaced him with David Bull (from Bunny, Rivers State), who relocated from Gboko, Benue-Plateau State to Port-Harcourt.

Have you watched the play called Kakadu - The Musical? I was invited to watch it in 2014, but I couldn't go.

I had thought of creating this thread sometime in the middle of last year, but I kept putting it off because I couldn't find all the videos I was looking for. Then I finally went to watch Kakadu during the christmas holiday and it was unbelievable. They played almost every single song that I wanted to post on this song. It felt like they were picking the songs from my brain. That's when I decided that I must create this thread, even though I don't have all the videos that I want to post.

There was a funny part in the play, when Ben Ogbeiwi (MTN Project Fame) was singing Baby Jowo. He got to the part where he was supposed to sing -

Ko wa fun mi loyan tutu mu o

And he sang: -

Ko wa fun mi something tutu mu o.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Excuzeme: 10:23pm On Jan 18, 2016
naptu2:

Have you watched the play called Kakadu - The Musical ? I was invited to watch it in 2014, but I couldn't go.

I had thought of creating this thread sometime in the middle of last year, but I kept putting it off because I couldn't find all the videos I was looking for. Then I finally went to watch Kakadu during the christmas holiday and it was unbelievable. They played almost every single song that I wanted to post on this song. It felt like they were picking the songs from my brain. That's when I decided that I must create this thread, even though I don't have all the videos that I want to post.

There was a funny part in the play, when Ben Ogbeiwi (MTN Project Fame) was singing Baby Jowo. He got to the part where he was supposed to sing -

There was this Night Club in the mid/late 70's called Kakadu Night Club along Olonode/Borno Way junction.
Its just around where Lagos State Governor then, Mobolaji Johnson had his house
My house was next to the Kakadu Club and all this stars, especially Olaiya, played "LIVE" there every night.
It was very handy for me! grin
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Santi222(m): 10:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bestest thread!!!
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 10:29pm On Jan 18, 2016
Excuzeme:

There was this Night Club in the mid/late 70's called Kakadu Night Club along Olonode/Borno Way junction.
My house was next to the Kakadu Club and all this stars, especially Olaiya, played "LIVE" there every night.

Then you really need to watch the play. The play was inspired by the nightclub.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by gokay11(m): 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2016
@Op don't forget to add Ligali by pasuma wonder,which was remixed by Dammy krane.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:35pm On Jan 18, 2016
naptu2:

Have you watched the play called Kakadu - The Musical? I was invited to watch it in 2014, but I couldn't go.

I saw something about Kakadu in Saturday Telegraph, I will go back to it tomorrow.
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:47pm On Jan 18, 2016
Excuzeme:

Most bands in the past were hired in contracts by managers of hotels and night clubs to perform. Boundary Hotel, Mayflower Hotel and Stadium Hotel in Lagos as well as Maryland Hotel in Port Harcourt, were some of the hotels. Stadium Hotel, owned by Victor Olaiya, appears to be the only still functioning. Beginning from around the 1980's, Nightshift Coliseum became popular. Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Dele Abiodun, Onyeka Onwenu, Christy Essien, etc played there. It's under Guv'nor Caleb Olumese. Parts of it got burnt some years ago.

Highlife enthusists like Benson Idonije and Femi Esho need to inspire writers to write on highlife and hotels used by bands in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 12:17am On Jan 19, 2016
Excuzeme:

Abeg Parkwell joor!
Naptu did not say he has exhausted on Remixes in the musical space of Nigeria, ...did he?

Even in LA, they do remix over and over again....... the only thing is you take permission from the copyright owner before you do it.

but after many years and some songs have become "public songs", you can even do the remix without permission (I think there is a certain number of years when copyright/ becomes obsolete.

A song has to be "Up there" ... before anyone can even think of doing a remix of it because its the old version that sells the remix, at first release.

What we did with that "Raise-da-Ruff by Jazzman Olofin" ehn? only God can forgive Boys in those days At the University.
The base guitar and tune was from the "party Anthem" of the late 70s' early 80's - "Set it off".

Even if you dont like to dance, one the Record hits the turntable and the Big Kenwood Speaker, backed by a Binatone Amplifier and Reverbrator churns out that tune, Abeg, you will just find your self floating, so to speak.
Many a Boys got banned from school because something went wrong at the "Lit Party"! cry

There is these guys from St Gregory's college back then (77 - 81), not sure but l think their name is Ofege? Any clues on them?
oga am not saying that the op has done something bad to enlighten us,rather oga what i want u to understand that whatever place u used in citing the issue of nigerian artist and copying,is that place,it is not nigeria,becos in nigeria the dont obey it talkless of seeking for permission to photocopy another man's hardwork,and pls if he can get any song by the named artists which i have mention i would love to know.we all learn,but i don't think another has done that remix with there song especially oliver de coque that guy is simply classical
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 12:23am On Jan 19, 2016
contactmorak:
Amazing. Well it may intterest you to know that Oliver Decoque's son, Safin Decoque who is a hiphop artiste in 2014 did a remix of his father's hit Biri kam Biri. The remix here audion here...http://notjustok.com/wp-content/
uploads/2014/06/Safin-De-Coque-Biri-Ka-
Mbiri.mp3

Also note that Salawa Abeni's son Big Sheff also remixed his mom's evergreen hit 'Gentle Lady' in whch he featured her. Watch one of their performances here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMYO8wSkh18
thanks for letting me know,before i thought oliver's song were unaldulterable becos of it uniqueness and pure multiply instrument,couple with his verstility in sing and handling the lead guiter
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by warrenweste(m): 1:01am On Jan 19, 2016
Avedon:
Don't forget to add Funmi Adams

there you are bro,have been waiting for your mail since pls do u still have the tape?
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 6:22am On Jan 19, 2016
Okeycima:
oga am not saying that the op has done something bad to enlighten us,rather oga what i want u to understand that whatever place u used in citing the issue of nigerian artist and copying,is that place,it is not nigeria,becos in nigeria the dont obey it talkless of seeking for permission to photocopy another man's hardwork,and pls if he can get any song by the named artists which i have mention i would love to know.we all learn,but i don't think another has done that remix with there song especially oliver de coque that guy is simply classical

This is not really true. There are copyright laws in Nigeria and that's also why the Nigerian Copyright Commission exists. Artists try to copy other artist's work without permmission all over the world, but they get into serious trouble when they are discovered. I'll give you two examples (one from Nigeria and one from outside Nigeria).

Feladey got into trouble when he covered Rex Jim Lawson's songs without permission in the 1990s. Rex Jim Lawson's family sued him, but the case was eventually settled out of court.

Robin Thicke and Pharrel Williams recently got into trouble when they sampled Marvin Gaye's song, "Got To Give It Up" (one of my favourite songs) for their song "Blurred Lines". Marvin Gaye's family sued them and they had to pay millions of dollars to Gaye's family and include Marvin Gaye's name in the album credits.

Covering a song legally is not a bad thing. It brings the song to a new generation and also gives money to the writer of the song. Some retired musicians depend on this money. For example, Snoop Dogg often sampled his uncle Charlie Wilson's (of the Gap Band) song and this meant that Charlie Wilson got paid even though he had retired and was fighting alcoholism.

Paul "Play" Dairo covered his father, I.K. Dairo's songs and this made the songs known to a new generation. Natalie Cole covered her father, Nat King Cole's songs and this brought it to a new generation.

Song writers hold copy rights over their songs for the duration of their life and 50 years after they are dead (it's 70 years in some jurisdictions). It's basically their pension. Disney had to pay the family of the South African guy that wrote "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Solomon Linda), despite the fact that he had been dead for many years before The Lion King was made (he wrote the song in the 1930s).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 6:32am On Jan 19, 2016
Excuzeme:

Abeg Parkwell joor!

I didn't see the last part of your post earlier.

Dapo Olumide (keyboards) became a pilot and was the CEO of Virgin Nigeria. He later became the CEO of Ropeways Nigeria, the company that plans to build a cable car system in Lagos.

Some of the other members of the band were outside the country the last time I heard from them, but I can't remember what they are doing (I'll update this post as soon as I remember).

Most of their hits (Try And Love, Wizzy Ilabo, etc) are on Youtube.

1 Like

Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by naptu2: 8:04am On Jan 19, 2016
This is one of my favourite Fela tracks. It's a short anti-war song that was recorded during his 1969 Los Angeles sessions (this was during the closing stages of the Nigerian Civil War).

It was remixed by Gboyega "Afrologic" Oyedele for the 2010 Felabrations event.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Viva Nigeria, Viva Africa (1969).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia08eAsinCE

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Viva Nigeria, Viva Africa (remixed by Afrologic in 2010).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTLaQhcL9k
Re: Cover Versions And Remixes Of Classic Nigerian Songs. by Okeycima: 8:17am On Jan 19, 2016
naptu2:

This is not really true. There are copyright laws in Nigeria and that's also why the Nigerian Copyright Commission exists. Artists try to copy other artist's work without permmission all over the world, but they get into serious trouble when they are discovered. I'll give you two examples (one from Nigeria and one from outside Nigeria).

Feladey got into trouble when he covered Rex Jim Lawson's songs without permission in the 1990s. Rex Jim Lawson's family sued him, but the case was eventually settled out of court.

Robin Thicke and Pharrel Williams recently got into trouble when they sampled Marvin Gaye's song, "Got To Give It Up" (one of my favourite songs) for their song "Blurred Lines". Marvin Gaye's family sued them and they had to pay millions of dollars to Gaye's family and include Marvin Gaye's name in the album credits.

Covering a song legally is not a bad thing. It brings the song to a new generation and also gives money to the writer of the song. Some retired musicians depend on this money. For example, Snoop Dogg often sampled his uncle Charlie Wilson's (of the Gap Band) song and this meant that Charlie Wilson got paid even though he had retired and was fighting alcoholism.

Paul "Play" Dairo covered his father, I.K. Dairo's songs and this made the songs known to a new generation. Natalie Cole covered her father, Nat King Cole's songs and this brought it to a new generation.

Song writers hold copy rights over their songs for the duration of their life and 50 years after they are dead (it's 70 years in some jurisdictions). It's basically their pension. Disney had to pay the family of the South African guy that wrote "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Solomon Linda), despite the fact that he had been dead for many years before The Lion King was made (he wrote the song in the 1930s).
oga thank u for the lecture but am talking about this from experience.if u check since the revolution of nigerian music(2000-till date) and tell,and u do know what happen between The Artist SUNNY BOBO and the work he copied from Peacock band international?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Nigerian Music Collabo Ever!! / 17 Years After, Tupac Lives On... / Wiz Khalifa – Something New Ft Ty Dolla Sign Download (luvmp)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.