Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? (897 Views)

Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! / Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / The First Made In Nigeria Tractor For Small-scale Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? by adeyemik: 10:01pm On Jan 18, 2016
Is there hope for small scale farmers in this country? This question kept coming on and on, with no answer in sight. The government keep reiterating the need to diversify the economy; move away or reduce our reliance on oil revenue to something far more greater - Agriculture. Sincerely, the government desire to make agriculture a major revenue earner will be a mirage, if policies are not put in place to help the small scale farmers to grow to become a medium scale, and the medium to become a big or super scale farmer.

We delved into small scale farming recently. I and two guys (these two guys are currently doing their PHD programme in agriculture), we acquired a 3 acres land space (outright purchased) for this purpose, build a pen that would accommodate atleast 3500 birds and a farm house for the attendants. Started the poultry with over 3000 day old chicks with less than 2% mortalities recorded from October last year till date. We planted 1000 plantain suckers (bought from IITA) and 1000 yam ridges. Thanks to God and the expertise of all the people involved.

We desired an expansion especially for the birds, and estimated that with 5 Million Naira, we should be able to achieve our goals concerning the expansion. Everybody's saving has been expended on the current project and decided to approach a bank for a very short term facility. By short term facility, I mean paying back the principal and interest within 7 to 8 months. It was estimated with pay from their PPs plus my salary, we should be able to pay back 800k per month even at 20% interest rate.

We approached two of the banks - F bank and Z Bank for a 5M facility from the CBN agriculture loan or a personal loan (Loan to be collateralized), but couldn't get a positive response or result from either of them. Z Bank, told us that they target audience of the CBN loan are medium and big time farmers, having not less than 10000 birds, gave a lot of other excuses that are totally unacceptable. Secondly, Z Bank says that it can't has stopped given personal loan to people. As regards F Bank, we were told that they are awaiting the new management policies on loans qualification criterias, however, even if we meet all the pre-requisite qualifications, the fact that none of us have a six months operational bank account with the bank, we are not qualified for any loan.

If the quest of the government to make agriculture a major revenue earner for the nation is to see the light of the day, conscious steps must be taken to make small scale farmers access to loan facilities, else, there is no hope for young and small scale farmers got to survive and succeed in this country.

In our case, we have committed close 10 Million naira on the project without seeing or getting any return(s) at the moment. three people (2 attendants and a security man) are on our monthly pay and four other auxiliary guys that we call upon frequently to help in doing one thing or the other. Yet, to access facility that we help move the farm forward is been made unreachable and impossible for those without godfathers/mothers.

Which way for the young farmers, Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? by ollyboy009(m): 1:56pm On Jan 19, 2016
adeyemik:
Is there hope for small scale farmers in this country? This question kept coming on and on, with no answer in sight. The government keep reiterating the need to diversify the economy; move away or reduce our reliance on oil revenue to something far more greater - Agriculture. Sincerely, the government desire to make agriculture a major revenue earner will be a mirage, if policies are not put in place to help the small scale farmers to grow to become a medium scale, and the medium to become a big or super scale farmer.

We delved into small scale farming recently. I and two guys (these two guys are currently doing their PHD programme in agriculture), we acquired a 3 acres land space (outright purchased) for this purpose, build a pen that would accommodate atleast 3500 birds and a farm house for the attendants. Started the poultry with over 3000 day old chicks with less than 2% mortalities recorded from October last year till date. We planted 1000 plantain suckers (bought from IITA) and 1000 yam ridges. Thanks to God and the expertise of all the people involved.

We desired an expansion especially for the birds, and estimated that with 5 Million Naira, we should be able to achieve our goals concerning the expansion. Everybody's saving has been expended on the current project and decided to approach a bank for a very short term facility. By short term facility, I mean paying back the principal and interest within 7 to 8 months. It was estimated with pay from their PPs plus my salary, we should be able to pay back 800k per month even at 20% interest rate.

We approached two of the banks - F bank and Z Bank for a 5M facility from the CBN agriculture loan or a personal loan (Loan to be collateralized), but couldn't get a positive response or result from either of them. Z Bank, told us that they target audience of the CBN loan are medium and big time farmers, having not less than 10000 birds, gave a lot of other excuses that are totally unacceptable. Secondly, Z Bank says that it can't has stopped given personal loan to people. As regards F Bank, we were told that they are awaiting the new management policies on loans qualification criterias, however, even if we meet all the pre-requisite qualifications, the fact that none of us have a six months operational bank account with the bank, we are not qualified for any loan.

If the quest of the government to make agriculture a major revenue earner for the nation is to see the light of the day, conscious steps must be taken to make small scale farmers access to loan facilities, else, there is no hope for young and small scale farmers got to survive and succeed in this country.

In our case, we have committed close 10 Million naira on the project without seeing or getting any return(s) at the moment. three people (2 attendants and a security man) are on our monthly pay and four other auxiliary guys that we call upon frequently to help in doing one thing or the other. Yet, to access facility that we help move the farm forward is been made unreachable and impossible for those without godfathers/mothers.

God bless you OP, this is very ridiculous, we are preaching but dont practicing in nigeria. I approached Skyebank for the said CBN MSMEDF loan but the response i got was that, the loan is only meant for agricultural value chain services, but not crop and livestock producer. I hope our Government wakes up and understand the potential of MSME than they currently do.
Re: Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? by WelconnectTrav1(m): 8:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
sad sad
What if one apply through ministry of agriculture. Will that be fair?
Re: Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jan 20, 2016
Our leaders are short sighted that's why they fail to plan for the future.All they seek is where to loot easy money for them and their family members
adeyemik:

Re: Is There Hope For Small Scale Farmers In This Country? by IamUmason(m): 11:13am On Jan 21, 2016
@op the plantain suckers you bought are they the double bunch variety? and could you give me possible contacts to get mine am thinking of setting up a farm. thanks. you could e-mail me e.umason@ymaildotcom. God bless You

(1) (Reply)

Mixing Feed. / 200tonnes Of 2016 Cashew Nut Available For Sale / Contact Trinity Farm On Any Agro Business Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.