Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Extra year in the University, what can I do ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Extra year in the University, what can I do ? (7787 Views)

Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies / Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. / Would You Graduate With A 4.48 Or Take An Extra Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 7:58am On Jan 19, 2016
The Senate of my school released results of graduating students yesterday. Unfortunately my name wasn't there.
I'm so sad and angry at myself. Firstly, how do I tell my parents ??. My Dad will likely disown me, my mom has great expectations for me will be greatly disappointed and she is also hypertensive. My siblings who sponsored part of my education are going to have nothing to do with me. I'm currently with my sister and how to break the news to her is beyond me.
A lot of questions and possibilities have been going through my head but I am just clueless right now

Please your advice is urgently needed before my sister gets back from work.

Mods please help me push to front page

cc: lalasticlala
Ijebabe
Mynd44
Ijebabe
Missyb3
Fynestboi
Obinoscopy
Seun
Dominique
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by aare07(m): 8:00am On Jan 19, 2016
Carry your cross brother.
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by ayobase(m): 8:04am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:
The Senate of my school released results of final year students yesterday. Unfortunately my name wasn't there.
I'm so sad and angry at myself. Firstly, how do I tell my parents ??. My Dad will likely disown me, my mom has great expectations for me will be greatly disappointed and she is also hypertensive. My siblings who sponsored part of my education are going to have nothing to do with me. I'm currently with my sister and how to break the news to her is beyond me.
A lot of questions and possibilities have been going through my head but I am just clueless right now

My brother, I will advise you stay put and concoct a convincing story of why your service year might be postponed, since your case might migrate into the fire from the frying pan if they know about your predicament.

Cook up a story about your department having an issue and of which every student will be affected cos the Senate wouldn't grant hearing until case id resolved within the department.

Just cook up anything u can always defend.

And never forget to tell the truth at the fulness of time.

Why would they not include your name?
Are you having any academic or social problem?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by bigiyaro(m): 8:08am On Jan 19, 2016
What can u do?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by adren(m): 8:12am On Jan 19, 2016
name of final year students or name of graduating students??
i am just as clueless as OP.. sha no think about suicide.. it can only worsen matters..

call on lalasticlala and he shall hear your pleas
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Keegan: 8:13am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:
The Senate of my school released results of final year students yesterday. Unfortunately my name wasn't there.

I don't have much to tell you but keep your calm and remember its not the end of life, you just need to put more efforts into you studies. Do not contemplate suicide!

www.nairaland.com/2772618/futa-student-commits-suicide-after
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2016
Suicide is not an option. Though it has crossed my mind. Why would I kill myself and be condemned forever
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Pineapp: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:

Well,maybe you ignored some cogent things you should do as a student.
Or maybe fate just woke up on you.
But in all,this is not a complete story and you have to tell your family whataguan
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 8:21am On Jan 19, 2016
adren:
name of final year students or name of graduating students??

i am just as clueless as OP..
sha no think about suicide.. it can only worsen matters..

call on lalasticlala and he shall hear your pleas

How do I call on him ??
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by deewhone(f): 8:31am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:
The Senate of my school released results of graduating students yesterday. Unfortunately my name wasn't there.

See, come out 2 dem, there is no need lying. Go thru whoever you are closer 2 btw ur parents. They myt be mad @ first, with time, they'll come down. I know how frustrating it can be, buh then, just summon courage and tell them. A certain girl refused to open up 2 her parents @ om that she had 2 spill. During convocation, her parents came just 2 discover their daughter was not graduating...imagine d disappointment. Pick up courage, its not d end of the world
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 8:37am On Jan 19, 2016
deewhone:
See, come out 2 dem, there is no need lying. Go thru whoever you are closer 2 btw ur parents. They myt be mad @ first, with time, they'll come down. I know how frustrating it can be, buh then, just summon courage and tell them. A certain girl refused to open up 2 her parents @ om that she had 2 spill. During convocation, her parents came just 2 discover their daughter was not graduating...imagine d disappointment. Pick up courage, its not d end of the world

Thank you very much. To summon courage to face my dad especially is what eludes me.

1 Like

Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by deewhone(f): 8:42am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:

Thank you very much. To summon courage to face my dad especially is what eludes me.
Buh u can @ least tell ur mum?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 8:43am On Jan 19, 2016
deewhone:
Buh u can @ least tell ur mum?

I can but that will be over the phone. I'm currently staying with my sister in lagos
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by deewhone(f): 8:48am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:

I can but that will be over the phone. I'm currently staying with my sister in lagos
can we discuss privately?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 8:57am On Jan 19, 2016
deewhone:

Yea I would love that.. But how ?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by deewhone(f): 9:01am On Jan 19, 2016
Thomey:

Yea I would love that.. But how ?
check ur e-mail
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by ayobase(m): 9:09am On Jan 19, 2016
deewhone:

Make sure u counsel him properly.

1 Like

Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Thomey: 9:18am On Jan 19, 2016
deewhone:
check ur e-mail

Checked my mail.. All I saw was an attempt to send a message. I replied you already
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Sammypedro18(m): 8:16am On Aug 17, 2017
unfortunately I find myself in this situation, checked spreadsheet yesterday only to discover that despiye a CGPA of 3.82, I'm going to have an extra year for failing a university course(unwaivable). I feel like a disappointment, don't know how to tell my mum, feels like the end of the world to me, 1 full year and school fees just because of 1 course cry cry cry
@Thomey pls how did you cope?
@deewhone any help here?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by deewhone(f): 12:32am On Aug 25, 2017
Sammypedro18:
unfortunately I find myself in this situation, checked spreadsheet yesterday only to discover that despiye a CGPA of 3.82, I'm going to have an extra year for failing a university course(unwaivable). I feel like a disappointment, don't know how to tell my mum, feels like the end of the world to me, 1 full year and school fees just because of 1 course cry cry cry
@deewhone any help here?
Sorry my reply is coming late. I think it's better you pick up the courage to tell your mum. I believe she will understand and please don't see yourself as a failure. It's a short period you'll overcome in no time. You can email me for further help or discussions
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Sammypedro18(m): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2017
deewhone:
Sorry my reply is coming late. I think it's better you pick up the courage to tell your mum. I believe she will understand and please don't see yourself as a failure. It's a short period you'll overcome in no time. You can email me for further help or discussions
Can't even go home due to d strike cos I don't know how it'll turn out. Tried sending you an email, don't know if you got something like a permission to send email
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by jennymbah: 10:50am On Dec 12, 2018
pls I also need someone to counsel me on this too
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by pawsofdikeje(m): 1:13pm On Dec 12, 2018
jennymbah:
pls I also need someone to counsel me on this too

Having an extra year is not the end of the world. Its better you tell your parents the truth, return back to school and pass the outstanding courses.

I had extra year thrice due to some reason but I am glad i finished up what i started, graduated and the same course is what i use in feeding myself and family now.

I pray God grants you the strength.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by fishguide(m): 1:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
a new week to commence work on you research.

it's not as hard as you think (reach out if you need help).

Oh!, you are the busy type (Hire me now wink)

Best wishes

fishguide.
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by DaddyBen009: 10:38am On Apr 13, 2019
Sammypedro18:
@deewhone any help here?
My email is topeadenuga19447@gmail.com

I’m dying in pains over this too
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Martinez39(m): 11:17am On Apr 13, 2019
Thomey:

What course are you studying? If your parents turn their backs on you because of an academic challenge, start questioning the love they have for you. Do they love you or are you just their object of meeting their expectations and/or building their prestige?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Ajibaba101(m): 3:39pm On Apr 13, 2019
Extra year and carry over can lead to regret and depression.....see how you can tackle it
https://explicitsuccess.com/dealing-with-regret-and-depression/
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by dunsin125: 6:45pm On Apr 13, 2019
Op and others, its not over until it is over, you have to find strength in your weakness and draw it... Read about the 3rd class student who became the best postgraduate student in unilag

#Fighting✊
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Sammypedro18(m): 10:10pm On Apr 13, 2019
DaddyBen009:

DaddyBen009:

Don’t sweat it bro..trust me in a very short time you’ll look over it and laugh. Initially I felt like it was d end of my world but as time went, I adjusted, picked myself up and did d necessary, now I’m a graduate. Don’t let it weigh u down, there’s more life ahead.
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by Geofavor(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2019
pawsofdikeje:

Having an extra year is not the end of the world. Its better you tell your parents the truth, return back to school and pass the outstanding courses.

I had extra year thrice due to some reason but I am glad i finished up what i started, graduated and the same course is what i use in feeding myself and family now.

I pray God grants you the strength.
Wow.

Please, did having an extra year have a negative effect on your employment opportunities? Did it show in your certificate that you had extra years?
Re: Extra year in the University, what can I do ? by pawsofdikeje(m): 12:45pm On Sep 27, 2019
It not written on your certificate.

Geofavor:

Wow.

Please, did having an extra year have a negative effect on your employment opportunities? Did it show in your certificate that you had extra years?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abia State University Post Ume Info / Has ASUU Strike Been Called Off? / LASPOTECH: Sanwo-Olu Approves Appointment Of Olaleye As Rector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.