Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,424 members, 7,830,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

What Does This Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does This Mean? (738 Views)

Does This Mean That God Is Lossing / Death And Hell Would Be Thrown In The Lake Of Fire. What Does This Mean ? / I Saw A Snake In My Dream. What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does This Mean? by jumie(f): 11:40am On Jun 23, 2009
Please I need a bible scholar or anyone who understands the meaning the the words , kick against the pricks, as used, to explain them to me. I have had a hard time understanding its meaning.

Acts 9:5
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Acts 26:14
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
Re: What Does This Mean? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2009
Re: What Does This Mean? by timmy7(m): 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2009
According 2 some commentry d phrase ''kick against d pricks'' is a proverb which is spoken of those who thru their stubborness hurt themselves,d idea (metaphorical) is dat Saul was injuring himself lyk d ox dat kick back on d goads used to urge him 4ward in other words d vanity of Sauls measures 4 crushing d Gospel,but d deeper wound whc every such effort inflict upon himself.
Re: What Does This Mean? by tpiah: 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2009
New Living Translation:

We all fell down, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic,[a] ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is useless for you to fight against my will

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2026:14%20%20;&version=51;

you can check different translations in the drop down menu at the top then click update.
Re: What Does This Mean? by ramipada: 1:36am On Jun 25, 2009
hi napolie,I saw your posting concerning the burden in your heart on how to follow and hear directly from the Lord,and i must say to you that it is the Lord that is putting such burden in your heart, and I believe He is saying to you that is time to truly follow him.May be hitherto you've only been perceive about your walk with the Lord.
Well the issue of hearing the Lord is a very crucial matter if a man must follow God i.e a man cannot follow God without hearing the Lord,and the issue of hearing the Lord dates back to when you came to know the Lord i.e your born again experience,I mean how got born again?
Another thing I love to say to you is that concerning this matter,is that you need someone who is walking with the Lord and who has experience in hearing the Lord, to be able to teach you how to hear the Lord, I mean someone you will sit at his feet who will teach and impact the knowledge and life of hearing the Lord,to you.
I commend this forum and the initiator of it but totality of the issue of hearing the lord transcend such a forum as this in terms of teaching and impacting the life of hearing the Lord. consider what I have said and Lord give you understanding,Amen.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Does This Mean? by gen2genius(m): 7:13am On Jun 25, 2009
it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

It means "It's hard for you to fight against my will/purpose"

As someone has already ponited out, the thirst for the interpretation might have been deliberately created in you by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of self-examination. Have you been kicking against the will of God in any area of your life? Think deeply and let Him have way ooo wink
Re: What Does This Mean? by kolaoloye(m): 12:41pm On Jun 25, 2009
Let us look at it from another version of the bible
Acts 9 AMPLIFIED VERSION
Saul's Conversion

5And Saul said, Who are You, Lord? And He said, I am Jesus, Whom you are persecuting.
It is dangerous and it will turn out badly for you to keep kicking against the goad [to offer vain and perilous resistance].

6Trembling and astonished he asked, Lord, what do You desire me to do? The Lord said to him, But arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.

ACTS 26:14
14And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice in the Hebrew tongue saying to me,
Saul, Saul, why do you continue to persecute Me [to harass and trouble and molest Me]?
It is dangerous and turns out badly for you to keep kicking against the goads
[to keep offering vain and perilous resistance].

(1) (Reply)

You Are Of More Value Than Many Sparrows / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Commissioned To Reach The Whole World! / What Is The Shortest Verse In The King James Version Of The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.