Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,582 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense (652 Views)

See The Nonsense I Got From Web4africa / A Guide To Manage Google Algorithm Changes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by 0luwatope(m): 10:16am On Jan 19, 2016
I found this password algorithm on a website that's giving tutorial on how to safely secure passwords from hackers that can manipulate sha1 and md5 hashes

He added salt to the password and I think the salt don too much for the password self

This is the algorithm

$password=validate($_POST['password']); // validate is a user defined function that contains strip_tags, htmlspecialchars and all that
$salt="F±:9x;a|6%[`U”Y_?v~0o'!÷d\N";
$pass1=sha1($salt.$password);
$pass2=md5($salt.$password);
$hash="$pass1$pass2";

The $hash the wat to be saved in database // no sane hacker will crack this easily I know but isn't this too much?
Re: Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by EntclassBlog(m): 8:43pm On Jan 19, 2016
0luwatope:
I found this password algorithm on a website that's giving tutorial on how to safely secure passwords from hackers that can manipulate sha1 and md5 hashes

He added salt to the password and I think the salt don too much for the password self

This is the algorithm

$password=validate($_POST['password']); // validate is a user defined function that contains strip_tags, htmlspecialchars and all that
$salt="F±:9x;a|6%[`U”Y_?v~0o'!÷d\N";
$pass1=sha1($salt.$password);
$pass2=md5($salt.$password);
$hash="$pass1$pass2";

The $hash the wat to be saved in database // no sane hacker will crack this easily I know but isn't this too much?
Lool.. Is too much, though i love the codes, it remembered me when i use to be on php
Re: Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 20, 2016
It can still be cracked. The safe way is to make use of mycrypt encryption. Key based encryption.
Re: Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by 0luwatope(m): 10:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
coolsix:
It can still be cracked. The safe way is to make use of mycrypt encryption. Key based encryption.
Does that mean if I ue a key based encryption, I'll be able to decrypt it with that same key.... I don't want to encrypt or decrypt, I want one way hashing, according to my kid knowledge, that salt should act as the key
Re: Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
0luwatope:

Does that mean if I ue a key based encryption, I'll be able to decrypt it with that same key.... I don't want to encrypt or decrypt, I want one way hashing, according to my kid knowledge, that salt should act as the key

One way hashing can still be dehashed! Yes, i have seen a few cases even with salt.

But the stronger the salt, the stronger the hashing. wink
Re: Is This Password Algorithm Right Or Nonsense by 0luwatope(m): 8:43am On Feb 06, 2016
coolsix:

One way hashing can still be dehashed! Yes, i have seen a few cases even with salt.

But the stronger the salt, the stronger the hashing. wink
eleyi giidi gan..... No need to ask questions jhoooor.... My God protect my website

(1) (Reply)

How I Added My Blog To The Chrome Web Store To Get Insane Web Traffic / How To write quality blog post / Can You Design This Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.