Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,293 members, 7,815,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable (2092 Views)

Customs Blames CBN’s Policies As Revenue Falls By N230bn / CBN Policies Made Easy / Current CBN Policies Are Shutting Down Business, Says CSO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 10:43pm On Jan 22, 2016
https://www.thecable.ng/cbn-policies-boosting-the-local-industry-say-manufacturers

Members of the Nigerian manufacturing industry say the new Central Bank (CBN) foreign exchange policy is boosting the growth of the local industry, calling it “the game changer”.

Nassos Sidirofagis, deputy managing director, Tempo paper pulp and packing limited, Ota, Ogun state, said the policies have helped increase local production capacity and promote expansion.

“The recent CBN policies is helping us tremendously. It is something we’ve been waiting for, not only us, but other manufacturers, because now, customers are now buying Nigerian products instead of importing,” the US trained engineer said.

“The policies were quite significant for us; as I said, it was the game changer. We are a truly Nigerian company and we are competing with global players from China, India. With the new policy we have been able to increase our capacity from 50 to 70 percent.”

Sidirofagis said the firm, owned by a Nigerian, is unveiling plans for setting up about the biggest paper producing company in Nigeria, with the capacity to produce 420 tonnes per day. “We can smile a little bit, these CBN policies help us to realise that there is a big possibility to start expanding. I hope the policies stay, because it is very significant for us.

Speaking on avoiding the economic downturn experienced by Greece in the past few years, he said: “The medicine is only one, you have to have discipline in government spending, you have to help the manufacturing sector, you have to have policies that contribute to job creation. “Being from Greece, I understand that the problems that we have are the same in many other countries.

The solution is to open up the market, focus on manufacturing and local production. “We were like you [Nigerians], we were importing because we had plenty of money, but at the end of the day we got bankrupt, just because we didn’t have a strong manufacturing [industry] supported by the government.

“If you keep these policies for one or two years more and you remain strong with it, you’d see that you’d have many investors come to Nigeria.” Oluwasesan Taiwo-Tijani, the group operations director of Sren chemicals and polymer packaging, explained the surge in demand for local products since the policy was introduced.

“Since this policy has been enacted, we’ve observed that the demand for our products has increased drastically. We looked at our sales last year, what we were able to make, in six months, we’ve made in just one month this year just as a result of these policies,” he said.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

4 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by braine(m): 10:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
Nice one. The policies have affected me personally. Now I'd rather go to Mandilas on the island to buy whatever I need rather than go to eBay. Not bad tho.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Flyoruboy(m): 10:50pm On Jan 22, 2016
Omo!!!! The wailers won't like this news. cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by okomogo(m): 10:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
No sane government will do this to her citizens, how about people going on vacation, students studying abroad. Has Nigeria started manufacturing everything, to be honest our products needs to be upgraded to be attractive, we want value for money so manufacturers should wake up.
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by oluwalfa: 10:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
Illitercy
Where will the money to buy from you come from?
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by adtiezy1(m): 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2016
Good..charity dey say begins at home

6 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by theV0ice: 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2016
Hmm....interesting. cool

1 Like

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Emmafrancis: 10:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
Boost which of the industry? Abeg stop lying. The economy is on the verge of total collapse. If care is not taken, we might end up in same class with zimbabwe
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 10:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
It's obvious some traditional importers may not like this idea or the sound of this, but they need to look at the bigger picture here.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Flyoruboy(m): 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2016
Emmafrancis:
Boost which of the industry? Abeg stop lying. The economy is on the verge of total collapse. If care is not taken, we might end up in same class with zimbabwe

I just knew the doom & gloom brigade, aka Wailers, won't like this. cheesy The manufacturers have spoken.

8 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
Emmafrancis:

Bro, why do you sound so pained? Are you an importer? Instead of you to applaud the news that our local manufacturers, including the ones in your SE, will be getting more patronage, you are here bad-belleing? It's not nice.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
oluwalfa:
Illitercy
Where will the money to buy from you come from?

Professor, where does the money used in purchasing from outside Nigeria come from?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
My reaction to this news

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by LoveMachine(m): 11:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
Flyoruboy:

GBAGAM!

7 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by superstar1(m): 11:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
It is only the economy saboteurs that pride themselves in importation of sub-standard goods from China that are complaining about CBN policies that is meant to benefit the local manufacturers.

The economic saboteurs keep the Chinese population in employment while screaming blue murder with the level of unemployment in Nigeria, not recognising the harm they are doing to the nation.

9 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Darayola(m): 11:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
okomogo:
No sane government will do this to her citizens, how about people going on vacation, students studying abroad. Has Nigeria started manufacturing everything, to be honest our products needs to be upgraded to be attractive, we want value for money so manufacturers should wake up.

Those studying abroad, going for health issue, whatever it is should come home. Nigerians should begin to learn to appreciate what we have. We have over depended on foreign products than ours. Excellent policy.
It may seems difficult for now but, in the long run, it will be for our best.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Nobody: 12:48am On Jan 23, 2016
Great clarification.

Nigeria would be great again

5 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 5:54am On Jan 23, 2016

2 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by ODVanguard: 6:28am On Jan 23, 2016
Just here to read comments.

[img]http://i./8yRpcDf2tbzoI.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Pavore9: 6:33am On Jan 23, 2016
I am also benefiting from it.....producing in Lagos and exporting it.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by vedaxcool(m): 6:36am On Jan 23, 2016
Wailers prayer against NIgeria Will never be answered they live disenchanted lives as usual.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 6:37am On Jan 23, 2016
Pavore9:
I am also benefiting from it.....producing in Lagos and exporting it.

Respect. shocked Even all the way from your Kenya base you are being resourceful enough to take advantage of this policy? Then indeed it is working! Complainers, Una no get excuse again o.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by modath(f): 6:37am On Jan 23, 2016
okomogo:

Neither of these are basiic necessities... they are wants..

5 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Pavore9: 6:49am On Jan 23, 2016
OkutaNla:

Respect. shocked Even all the way from your Kenya base you are being resourceful enough to take advantage of this policy? Then indeed it is working! Complainers, Una no get excuse again o.

Produce locally, export and the dollars received covers the exchange needed to buy raw materials from China as Nigeria do not yet have the capacity to produce them. Have it shipped down to Nigeria, add value to it and export them, This is what foreign firms do, buy raw materials from African countries, ship them to their countries and add value to them then export at a higher value.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by Meriekriss: 6:57am On Jan 23, 2016
braine:
Nice one. The policies have affected me personally. Now I'd rather go to Mandilas on the island to buy whatever I need rather than go to eBay. Not bad tho.

Was that really the aim of the policy? Well, you just saved the govt few dollars you spend on eBay but Mandilas mostly sell imported goods..

I get your point though..

Check my signature for your breathtaking wallpapers and 3D wall panels, 3D epoxy floors, 3D stretch ceilings and wooden blinds & wooden laminate floors..
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by anonimi: 7:04am On Jan 23, 2016
Flyoruboy:

Have you heard about the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, MAN
Kindly quote the part of the OP that was stated by MAN.
Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3054865_vp_jpeg444345bcdcb410269d58d4e2bb72121a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3131247_cu55se7vaaaykzj_jpeg8d3b0e22c761643e651e5d09f82d1552
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by mavinc4u(f): 7:27am On Jan 23, 2016
like seriously, a manufacturer said this and people that have refused to read and understand are applauding them.

my question is where will those manufacturer's get their equipments and materials needed to produce whatever they are producing or were those machines in the background produced in Nigeria? They better tell Nigerians the truth instead of all this brainwash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 8:18am On Jan 23, 2016
mavinc4u:
like seriously, a manufacturer said this and people that have refused to read and understand are applauding them.

my question is where will those manufacturer's get their equipments and materials needed to produce whatever they are producing or were those machines in the background produced in Nigeria? They better tell Nigerians the truth instead of all this brainwash.

The president did say in his last televised interview that priority and exceptions would be given to local manufacturers with respect to forex.

He said, and I quote:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/12/buhari-rejects-naira-devaluation-says-no-clue-on-chibok-girls/

The Central Bank of Nigeria will sit with factories and ask what essential raw materials and machinery they need, and provide forex.

It's obvious the policy is essentially geared at stimulating the local manufacturing sector. The hitherto carte-blanche importation policy, whereby goods that can be sourced locally are imported at the expense of locally produced alternatives, is simply unsustainable. Though I also think the government should as a matter of urgency begin to upgrade infrastructure, especially power, to encourage more local industry and consequently create more jobs for Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by miqos02(m): 10:11am On Jan 23, 2016
@lalasticlala, u need to see this
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by kennyman2000(m): 10:21am On Jan 23, 2016
Okay...
Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by mavinc4u(f): 10:57am On Jan 23, 2016
OkutaNla:

The president did say in his last televised interview that priority and exceptions would be given to local manufacturers with respect to forex.

He said, and I quote:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/12/buhari-rejects-naira-devaluation-says-no-clue-on-chibok-girls/

It's obvious the policy is essentially geared at stimulating the local manufacturing sector. The hitherto carte-blanche importation policy, whereby goods that can be sourced locally are imported at the expense of locally produced alternatives, is simply unsustainable. Though I feel the government should as a matter of urgency begin to upgrade infrastructure, especially power, to encourage more local industry and consequently create more jobs for Nigerians.

He said? And has it been done? What has been said and has not been done are like heap of sand on the ground. Even some statements are denied. Please tell me something else. China did theirs by putting things in order. This policy of if eleven does not want to strike then twelve should strike before eleven is not the way forward as it will bring more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: CBN Policies Boosting The Local Industry, Say Manufacturers - The Cable by OkutaNla: 11:31am On Jan 23, 2016
mavinc4u:

He said? And has it been done? What has been said and has not been done are like heap of sand on the ground. Even some statements are denied. Please tell me something else. China did theirs by putting things in order. This policy of if eleven does not want to strike then twelve should strike before eleven is not the way forward as it will bring more harm than good.

Well, you are entitled to feel the way you do, but you have no indicting evidence or proof that the govt isn't already implementing the policy. In any case, I would rather focus on the intentions of the administration in initiating the policy and examine its effects thus far. While some are kicking against the policy, the target demographic (local manufacturers) are applauding it, so .....

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Satana Cutting Machine / Ocar/opay/oride / Carwash And Cleaning Companies: Pressure Washers For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.