Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,995 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? (2375 Views)

Kidnappers Release Winners' Chapel Calabar Pastor, As Bishop Oyedepo Curses / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him / A Christian Narrative On Curses Or Spell Casting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by huxley2(m): 2:42pm On Jun 25, 2009
Ezekiel 18: 20;

The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Hey, but "Are you forgetting Exodus 20: 5?", I hear you cry;

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Now, you decide.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by noetic2: 2:43pm On Jun 25, 2009
and your point is?
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by huxley2(m): 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2009
noetic2:

and your point is?

Do you think there is a point to be made?
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by PastorAIO: 2:56pm On Jun 25, 2009
The point is that Noetic and Huxley are cousins. Their great ancestor was a man named 2. Hence we have huxley 2 and Noetic 2.

This original Mr 2 committed a great and grievous sin which is what Noetic and Huxley are paying for today in their Nairaland confrontations.

That's the point.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Marlbron: 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2009
When christians talk about generational curses it shows they do not have the word of God. The word of God tells us that Jesus died for our sins, so why would a christian believe in generational curse? Just baptize, put on christ by practicing his teachings and see if you will not be imbdued with the Holy spirit. With the holy spirit, you are indestructible as od is always with you and there is no more curse!
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 4:26pm On Jun 25, 2009
Err malbron christians don't just 'talk' about generational sins its WRITTEN in the bible. . . wink
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tonyet1(m): 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2009
Pastor AIO:

The point is that Noetic and Huxley are cousins. Their great ancestor was a man named 2. Hence we have huxley 2 and Noetic 2.

This original Mr 2 committed a great and grievous sin which is what Noetic and Huxley are paying for today in their Nairaland confrontations.

That's the point.

i respect that creativity bro  grin grin

@Topic:

Huxley you know what i see you doing here, serpentry act (subtility), no hard feeling pls  grin , someone reading this will just accept your quotes plainly, with my experience of commenting your posts i havce learned to go back to the scriptures and read better

-Exodus preceded Ezekiel and as such, the verse of the former comes b4 the later, i will post the biblical ref. so everyone will know and read for themselves better

Exodus:

Exodus 20:1-6
And God spoke all these words:

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

6 but showing love to a thousand [ generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments.
NIV

this scriptures came when God was officially giving the 10 commandments to the isrealites after their exodus from Egypt, and now in Ezekiel reading from verse 1, God started by saying something like this -

Ezekiel 18:1-3
18:1 The word of the LORD came to me:

2 "What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel: "'The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'?

3 "As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel.

4 For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son — both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die. NIV

Huxley do you know see that God refered back to his sentence in Exodus and later in Ezekiel he gave reason for abolishing the old one?

pls do not contradict yourself and others here

May my God bless you, in Jesus name. Amen!  wink grin grin grin
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 5:35pm On Jun 25, 2009
Abolished? And here i was thinking ''I AM THE LORD I CHANGETH NOT''. . .
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Marlbron: 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2009
Tudór:

Err malbron christians don't just 'talk' about generational sins its WRITTEN in the bible. . . wink

you have to be careful about the old testament. Do not quote everything from it as if they all apply. Christianity has moved on. We are in the era of the Spirit.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 7:48pm On Jun 25, 2009
Why doesn't the O.T apply? Isnt it the WORD OF GOD?
Remember the word of god is 'power' and 'knowledge' and would never return unfulfilled. grin
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by bindex(m): 8:33pm On Jun 25, 2009
Marlbron:

you have to be careful about the old testament. Do not quote everything from it as if they all apply. Christianity has moved on. We are in the era of the Spirit.

The new testament and the entire Jesus story flat out showed me that it's all just a bunch of make believe fairy tale stuff built upon some existing ideas that the writers of the NT wanted to change.

Noah,Jacob, Issac, Jerimiah, Ezekiel, Elijah and Moses did not need Jesus at all to get to the OT God, but everyone who wants to get to God(NT) now must go through Christ. It's ALL a bunch of B.S. that can't be proven and never will be so therefore,the entire tale is just a happy lucky make believe tale.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Marlbron: 3:16pm On Jun 26, 2009
Tudór:

Why doesn't the O.T apply? Isnt it the WORD OF GOD?
Remember the word of god is 'power' and 'knowledge' and would never return unfulfilled. grin

Tudo, cool temper! If I start telling a story, would you draw the conclusion from the begining or after the story is told? Again you need the Holy Spirit to fully nderstand scripture. Its not a Haley Chase novel, No! Let me make a sketch for you. God created man who was later tempted to sin. That sin separated God (sinless being) from man. But he still loved man and then related to man through angels. At the appointed time he sent his Son to atone for the sins through the shedding of an innocent blood. His son became Man for that sacrifice of sin. He gave us the message of Love. Love for one another. In the old testament it was an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Those could not have emanated from God. God is love and in this era, te Holy spirit has come to enunciate love further. Jeususcalled the people of the old testament thieves and robbers.

bindex:

The new testament and the entire Jesus story flat out showed me that it's all just a bunch of make believe fairy tale stuff built upon some existing ideas that the writers of the NT wanted to change.

Noah,Jacob, Issac, Jerimiah, Ezekiel, Elijah and Moses did not need Jesus at all to get to the OT God, but everyone who wants to get to God(NT) now must go through Christ. It's ALL a bunch of B.S. that can't be proven and never will be so therefore,the entire tale is just a happy lucky make believe tale.

The Jesus story could not have been fake. After he died, all his prophecies on Israel came to pass with exacting accuracy. In this era, his prophecies are very accurate. When Ceaser fell sick, he asked Pilate to send him the young man Jesus to heal him. So the story of Jesus was recorded in Roman history.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 3:28pm On Jun 26, 2009
''At the apointed time he sent his son to atone for our sins by shedding INNOCENT BLOOD'' -
Why does your god have a fascination with 'shedding blood'. A loving,merciful,peaceful and all powerful god should surely come up with less violent and bloody ways to atone for sins,no?
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 3:40pm On Jun 26, 2009
BTW what prophecies did jesus make apart from the likes of ''nation will rise against nation''. If i were a lunatic and wanted to predict the end of the world,the safe bet will be men turning on one another. . . .so your jesus wasn't extraordinary he just used common sense.

That aside,lets for the sake of it assume pilate did indeed send for jesus when he was ill. . .did jesus heal him? Calling for jesus certainly signifies faith in his miracles.
Also note that a sick man scared of losing his life will beg for your attention if he hears you brag about healing powers. cool
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by blacksta(m): 3:49pm On Jun 26, 2009
Tudor the christian Hater but Jesus still love u -
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 4:57pm On Jun 26, 2009
Well i guess i love him too
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 4:57pm On Jun 26, 2009
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 4:58pm On Jun 26, 2009
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Marlbron: 7:25pm On Jun 27, 2009
Tudór:

BTW what prophecies did jesus make apart from the likes of ''nation will rise against nation''. If i were a lunatic and wanted to predict the end of the world,the safe bet will be men turning on one another. . . .so your jesus wasn't extraordinary he just used common sense.

That aside,lets for the sake of it assume pilate did indeed send for jesus when he was ill. . .did jesus heal him? Calling for jesus certainly signifies faith in his miracles.
Also note that a sick man scared of losing his life will beg for your attention if he hears you brag about healing powers. cool

Read the bible to see his prophecies especially on Jerusalem and the "end of the world". The fact that Cesar sent for him confirms the bibilical Jesus. Thats the point you doubted the story, so I gave you another source to explore other than the bible.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Tudor6(f): 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2009
Which other source did you give?

Many religions have predicted the ''end of the world'' and the prophecies are eerily similar. Imagining wide scale destruction of the earth is a fairly simple thing to do.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by bindex(m): 8:01pm On Jun 27, 2009
Marlbron:

Read the bible to see his prophecies especially on Jerusalem and the "end of the world". [b]The fact that Cesar sent for him confirms the bibilical Jesus. [/b]Thats the point you doubted the story, so I gave you another source to explore other than the bible.

How comes the romans have NO record of the historical Jesus? How come that episode only appears in the gospels which happens to be the only books that talk about his life? Jesus meeting with Cesar will definatley be in the roman records but we have nothing like that in the roman records except in the embellished gospels.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by Image123(m): 2:51pm On Jun 28, 2009
@post
It's been said to you before that it takes more than the brain's 'wisdom' to understand the things of God. God is a Spirit. You'll understand him better if you seek Him in spirit and in truth. Nonetheless, your question is simply coming out of your prejudice as the verses you've quoted are plain to sincere learners.
Proverbs18v2 says
A fool has no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
I'm hoping that you're not, or that you do not remain in the above category.
The Word of God is one, and various passages throw more light on and complement other passages. It's only people who're looking for seeming contradictions that find such. If you take an individual as your friend, you begin to see the great qualities such an individual possesses. But if you take him as your enemy, then everything he does appears to be against you. If he's laughing and chatting with his friends, your thought is that he must be mocking you and saying evil concerning you. That's your position against the Bible. That's the reason why it's usually jumbled to you.
Exodus20v5 has simply revealed a plain truth to us. Children inherit what their parents sow. Poor parents produce poor children and probably generations. Rich parents produce rich children. Sickle parents produce sickle children. Parents who enjoy the love and blessings of God have children who enjoy the blessing and love of God. Parents who are under punishment usually have children who suffer because of their parents. That's the way life is. But every individual can still change things to suit himself/herself. e.g that you're born to a poor family does not automatically mean that you should remain poor and vice versa.
It is this that Ezekiel18 sheds more light on. It's saying you can repent and come out of punishment. You can backslide and come out of God's favour. It happened often to the Israelites in the Bible. We all decide if we want to enjoy God's goodness or face His judgement.
Ezekiel 18v5. But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right.
9. Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgements, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord God
10. If he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any of these things,
13. Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: SHALL HE THEN LIVE? He shall not live:
14. Now, lo, if he beget a son, that seeth all his father's sins which he hath done, and considereth, and doeth not such like
17b. He shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live
19. Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son has done that which is lawful and right, and has kept all my statutes, and has done them, he shall surely live.
20. The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him

And so on and so on. You could read the whole chapter. Pretty clear and self explanatory. May God help you.
Re: Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We? by bindex(m): 2:56pm On Jun 28, 2009
Image123:

@post
It's been said to you before that it takes more than the brain's 'wisdom' to understand the things of God. God is a Spirit. You'll understand him better if you seek Him in spirit and in truth.

In other words god "works in mysterious ways" "we can't understand god" except when it's convenient.

Then we know EXACTLY what god meant, and we'll also go ahead and quote it, and we'll use it as evidence to convince people that god exists!

except when it's inconvenient.

Then "works in mysterious ways" "we can't understand god". The whole merry go round is absurd.

(1) (Reply)

Yobe State Is Boiling,christains Under Attack? / International Arrest Warrant Issued Against POPE FRANCIS I, Jorge Bergoglio / Christianity And Things That Aren't Really Known

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.