Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria (9707 Views)

Common Hosting Issues Bloggers Face / 4 Challenges Bloggers Encounter As A Beginner / Why Many Bloggers Failed, A Problem New Bloggers Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by fireforfire: 11:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D biggest probblem in d Nig blogging industry is D "Copy n Paste" syndrome.
No originality , no reseach, no investigation,....
evryone just wan hamma like linda
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by fineyemi(m): 11:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
All we have on the mind of so many bloggers is to make money...But this isn't about making money. Its about providing quality content. Have passion for it and abide by its protocol. Believe me, you will succeed in it.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Electricity isn't a problem @my side (Warri).
But data charges is my number 1 problem blogging. I've economised my blog to the least way I can.
http://basicnaijaneeds..com.ng/?m=1
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Sultanchidi(m): 11:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Power ke?power is a general problem nationwide so dats not an excuse, and 4 data if u know u can't afford it den stop blogging. Power and data problems ar not excuses for posting unverified news. In fact bloggers lie pass naija ladies
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:10am On Jan 25, 2016
fafy:
I have seen many bloggers fail In Nigeria. And if some writers were to write about what causes the failure, they quickly jump into conclusion discussing the same thing previous writer had written on, such as laziness, thinking of being successful within a short period of time, not determined, blogging because others are doing it. Are this points true? My answer is yes and no, yes because it’s possible and No because it’s not true for everyone that crashed out that crashed out from the blogosphere. So I call this points “fallacy of hasty generalization”. I believe there would have being more successful bloggers in Nigeria if the conditions around them are favourable.
The two challenges I’m going to discuss are based on what I see bloggers facing and what I experience on a daily basis. If you are a blogger in Nigeria, The only reason that can make you nullify this point of mine is if you have alternatives, which I believe is not available to vast majority of bloggers in Nigeria.

What are these two major challenges?

1. Epileptic Power Supply
I can imagine you nodding your head, as a sign that you agree with this point. When we talk about the ICT world, then we should discuss more about electric power supply. I have always imagined how mark zuckeberg of facebook, Jack dorsey of twitter, Larry Page and Sergey Brin of google would have struggled had it being they are born in Nigeria or lived in Nigeria right from their childhood. Perhaps they won’t their won’t be facebook, twitter, google, Perhaps their won’t even be anything like blogging.
After I finished from school on lastyear, I thought of resuming fully to my blog, but it has rather being hard than I prepared for, and the power supply has being one of my major problem. Apart from the power supply from generator. I only enjoy electricity for an average period of 3hours in every 24hours. There are even times that it will be off for almost 2weeks, and the scarcity of fuel with the rising and falling of it’s price is not helping in anyway to use my small generator. I believe some bloggers situation are a lot more worse than this.

2. High Data Price
I do not mean data for records, but what you use in accessing the internet. A situation where you have one of the network provider advertising 2015mb data for N2015 and in their mind, they are trying to beat off competitions by giving their users data at cheaper price, you can imagine how hard it will be for a blogger who’s not earning a penny from his blog yet.
Yes, you can still squeeze some amount to get a domain (it’s renewal is just once in a year), you can still squeeze out some amount to get the device you need, but how do you expect an average income blogger to be squeezing out large amount of money every month to get data so as to maintain the blog he’s not yet earning from, there will a time that there will be nothing else to squeeze. Little wonder why some people looks for tricks to help them surf the net for a little or no amount in Nigeria. So don’t quickly condemn any blogger looking for quick success in the blogging world if you don’t know the conditions they are.

DO YOU KNOW?
A. That this points in one way or the other affects the quality of posts from a blogger, due to the fact that some cannot do deep research on the content they post because they only have little resources (electricity, data etc.) to get it done. Perhaps many bloggers in Nigeria would have gotten an adsense approval by now.
B. That drastic improvement on this points could help tackle unemployment. Just imagine hundreds of thousands of successful bloggers in Nigeria. I read an article about some bloggers that resigned from their former place of work just to face blogging squarely, how many of that happens in this part of the world. I hope to see more of lindaikeji and Jide ogunsanya of ogbonge blog in this country.

My name is Temitope, and I just want to make common sense.

Source: http://www.topnetblog.com/2016/01/two-major-challenges-bloggers-face-in.html?m=1

Thanks op! You got a nice piece.

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by obamma: 12:19am On Jan 25, 2016
The main problem is copycats. Copy and paste.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 25, 2016
Vicben:
These challenges can b tackled with ease, most especially the erratic power supply. Many other businesses that relies on power supply for its per second running too are still in business and making it real time.

Th major challenge with blogging in Nigeria is lack of genuine content. If bloggers are churning out quality content then I bet, they'd make so much to even run their own private 60KVA generators 247 and have the Israeli guys come build/install a 4G network for them here as well.
I like this. I don't know if its true but I like the way its worded.

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by arbitter: 1:02am On Jan 25, 2016
Challenges? I thought their basic Business model was create a blog, make up stories, preferably about Politics and just spread them undecided
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 25, 2016
Too many people writing blogs. I wonder who the people are who read them.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:16am On Jan 25, 2016
My blog is pretty original but no one seems interested in reading about self esteem issues like having,acne,dark knuckles,bleaching etc, quotes (that I made up), or even tips on being successful and stages of change

www.sherijourney..com
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by deturla: 5:37am On Jan 25, 2016
SurefireAsoOke:
I dnt think so. Here I'd the 2 major problem:
1. Providing original and quality content.

2. Traffic/makin money with it.

See en, the OP just nailed it! I attended the WEst Africa Blogger's conference last week and these issues were mentioned! I have noticed personally that a lot of bloggers do not develop content by researching and spending more time online majorly as a result of the issues mentioned by the OP. Personally I think there is nothing we can do about the epileptic power supply in the country.

In the case of data, I think there is a little of a solution to this fact, and it has to do with the support of every stakeholder. Assuming Nigerian Bloggers have a voice; cohesive and congruent, it becomes easy to dialogue with these data/ network carriers, and enter into negotiations with them. Well, I think there is still a long way to go in online publishing and blogging in Nigeria is still not at the point we want it to be.

I say to bloggers, if we can conceive something, then we can achieve it! We need a voice.

I am Deturla, Deedeesblog.com

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by yourmesprings(m): 6:04am On Jan 25, 2016
Hey check out my blog : www.afrivid.net

I think bloggers have to come together to make their blogs/site bigger. Partnership is better... Anyone who is interested in partnership should send me a message...

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by iamjayboss(m): 6:18am On Jan 25, 2016
seoconsultant:

I do not see this as problems but rather as thresholds
The main issues are 1.) How To Create or Start a Blog read more on How to create a blog
2.) How To Write Successful Blog Post That Ranks On Google. read more on How To Write Successful Blog Post That Ranks On Google

You just used the opportunity to show your blog posts, its irrelevant to me.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by naijaict: 7:09am On Jan 25, 2016
Blogging has made me to know the power routine of places near me. When i don't have light i cheat other places where i've made friends and use theirs. The last fuel hike and scarcity thought me this.
Also, mtn's stupid network recently thought me to use more than one network provider. And to look for cheap ways to browse is no crime.
Check out www.naijaict.com cheap browsing technique
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by b4dem: 8:23am On Jan 25, 2016
I bet you don't know you already have the best productivity app on your phone...here's the proof:

http://www.jetolu.com/2016/01/25/i-bet-you-dont-know-you-already-have-the-best-productivity-app-on-your-phone-heres-the-proof/

Click to read.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Moniker254: 8:35am On Jan 25, 2016
A nairalander above me said 'Personally, he thinks there's nothing we can do about the epileptic power supply'. I strongly disagree with his point. If you are interested, contact me. The company I work with is making a small solar system (500w) available to Nigerians on a Pay-As-You-Go basis.

Its enough to power 6 lights bulbs (Low wattage bulbs e.g 9 watts) 1 TV, DSTV box, home theatre, 1 standing fan and charging of phones and Laptops, All for a daily fee of, N300 daily. It can power you for 24 hours if used efficiently, but during the day when there is daylight, you are guaranteed of 12 hours. Now imagine running your small gen for 12 hours daily for 1 month.

Guys, we really need to learn how to think outside the box, this power problem can be solved.
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by FirstLadyNaija(f): 8:41am On Jan 25, 2016
Please Visit my blog and rate it

www.FirstLadyNaija.Com
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by b4dem: 8:44am On Jan 25, 2016
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 25, 2016
ngmgeek:

Very interesting topic. Just saw it here: http://www.mynaijalife.com/index.php?forums/jobs-vacancies-and-careers.11/

N this is a typical naija blogger.
Let SEO work for u
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by iamord(m): 8:54am On Jan 25, 2016
The problem about bloggers is
Money = passion to blog about niche

Instead of

Passion to blog about niche = money
That's sums it up
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by tonyx4x44(m): 9:10am On Jan 25, 2016
Spot on!

You said monthly? for a true blogger who carries out adequate research, serves quality info and pics, 2015MB won't last 2 weeks tongue

Therefore you will continue seeing posts like [url=http://www.boyantech.com/glo-6gig-for-%e2%82%a61500/]GLO 6gig for ₦1500 only, 9gig for ₦2500! *hot*[/url]

If I have data at say 500 naira for 4gig, I would never use a cheat, tweak or the like... embarassed
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by IamKollinx(m): 9:33am On Jan 25, 2016
OP, I agree with point number one.
But number two, No! Because yes, I have an alternative to that.

Why should I waste 2k for 2GB when I can have 5GB for a token of #70 daily or #350 weekly on MTN

Why should I waste 2k for 2GB when I can have 3GB for 1k monthly on GLO

And why should I waste 2k for just 2GB when I can browse unlimitedly via my etisalat sim tongue

unless FBT/Tweaking is a crime to a blogger like you who suffer from PHCN - its pay back time, baby tongue
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by argob44(f): 12:02pm On Jan 25, 2016
so true dear
SurefireAsoOke:

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by uhiochris1(m): 4:07pm On Jan 25, 2016
[quote author=fafy post=42263275]I have seen many bloggers fail In Nigeria. And if some writers were to write about what causes the failure, they quickly jump into conclusion discussing the same thing previous writer had written on, such as laziness, thinking of being successful within a short period of time, not determined, blogging because others are doing it. Are this points true? My answer is yes and no, yes because it’s possible and No because it’s not true for everyone that crashed out that crashed out from the blogosphere. So I call this points “fallacy of hasty generalization”. I believe there would have being more successful bloggers in Nigeria if the conditions around them are favourable.
The two challenges I’m going to discuss are based on what I see bloggers facing and what I experience on a daily basis. If you are a blogger in Nigeria, The only reason that can make you nullify this point of mine is if you have alternatives, which I believe is not available to vast majority of bloggers in Nigeria.

What are these two major challenges?

1. Epileptic Power Supply
I can imagine you nodding your head, as a sign that you agree with this point. When we talk about the ICT world, then we should discuss more about electric power supply. I have always imagined how mark zuckeberg of facebook, Jack dorsey of twitter, Larry Page and Sergey Brin of google would have struggled had it being they are born in Nigeria or lived in Nigeria right from their childhood. Perhaps they won’t their won’t be facebook, twitter, google, Perhaps their won’t even be anything like blogging.
After I finished from school on lastyear, I thought of resuming fully to my blog, but it has rather being hard than I prepared for, and the power supply has being one of my major problem. Apart from the power supply from generator. I only enjoy electricity for an average period of 3hours in every 24hours. There are even times that it will be off for almost 2weeks, and the scarcity of fuel with the rising and falling of it’s price is not helping in anyway to use my small generator. I believe some bloggers situation are a lot more worse than this.

2. High Data Price
I do not mean data for records, but what you use in accessing the internet. A situation where you have one of the network provider advertising 2015mb data for N2015 and in their mind, they are trying to beat off competitions by giving their users data at cheaper price, you can imagine how hard it will be for a blogger who’s not earning a penny from his blog yet.
Yes, you can still squeeze some amount to get a domain (it’s renewal is just once in a year), you can still squeeze out some amount to get the device you need, but how do you expect an average income blogger to be squeezing out large amount of money every month to get data so as to maintain the blog he’s not yet earning from, there will a time that there will be nothing else to squeeze. Little wonder why some people looks for tricks to help them surf the net for a little or no amount in Nigeria. So don’t quickly condemn any blogger looking for quick success in the blogging world if you don’t know the conditions they are.

DO YOU KNOW?
A. That this points in one way or the other affects the quality of posts from a blogger, due to the fact that some cannot do deep research on the content they post because they only have little resources (electricity, data etc.) to get it done. Perhaps many bloggers in Nigeria would have gotten an adsense approval by now.
B. That drastic improvement on this points could help tackle unemployment. Just imagine hundreds of thousands of successful bloggers in Nigeria. I read an article about some bloggers that resigned from their former place of work just to face blogging squarely, how many of that happens in this part of the world. I hope to see more of lindaikeji and Jide ogunsanya of ogbonge blog in this country.

My name is Temitope, and I just want to make common sense.

Source: http://www.topnetblog.com/2016/01/two-major-challenges-bloggers-face-in.html

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by akintayo1(m): 9:31am On Feb 16, 2016
SurefireAsoOke:

The OP is damn right, except that you're leaving in some area in Nigeria where electricity is constant or you have enough money to burn on fuel, then you might think otherwise.

Your points too are valid and I understand why you mentioned them (many bloggers in Nigeria are copy/paste and lack effective content marketing tactics), but from my practical experience with the impact/effects of constant power supply on the ICT industry and output of an individual blogger/online entrepreneur, except the Nigerian government address this power supply issue with utmost urgency, sincerity, honesty and make it affordable to all Nigerians.......

I doubt if poverty will not gulp up this nation one day.

Let me tell you, sometimes I use to spend four to five days writing some in-depth articles that in a well-favorable situation, shouldn't have taken more than 24 hours to complete.

Why, you may ask?

Answer: no electricity to power my laptop. And sometimes, fuel scarcity, or maybe generator faulty. In fact, just last night I wanted to power on my generator to work on some articles I need to submit for guest post, but to God who created me, the generator couldn't start and no PHCN supply.

Another valuable time wasted.

Compare to some advanced countries that guarantee 24 hours power supply, bloggers can work to any point on his internet business and do all he wants atany time.

1 Like

Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by mabroda(m): 12:45am On Mar 19, 2016
FirstLadyNaija:
Please Visit my blog and rate it

www.FirstLadyNaija.Com

You are doing well, try and find a better template
Re: Two Major Challenges Bloggers Face In Nigeria by iamord(m): 7:23am On Mar 20, 2016
When it comes to blogging. Content is king! When I say content, not talking about 'exposed. Lecturer caught banging student' and all manner of nonsense posts. But we'll articulated posts. That inform and drive a point to its prospective viewers It's like people these days get into blogging with money on the mind rather than passion in the niche they are running.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Create Your Personal Website With Google Page Creator / 5 ways to Make People Love Your Website / 7 Basic Steps On How To Blog From Your Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.