Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,619 members, 7,820,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

What You Need To Know About Postpartum Weight - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What You Need To Know About Postpartum Weight (1666 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Postpartum Weight by winta2007(m): 12:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
Everyone knows the importance of good nutrition during pregnancy, but what happens after the baby is born? New mothers are exhausted, trying to find out the baby’s schedule and often results in eating something quick or forgetting to eat little or no nutrition. It is not the best strategy if you want to recover quickly from delivery and manage your postpartum weight.

Maintaining a healthy postpartum diet is also necessary for the process of maintaining your postpartum weight. A good diet provides the energy to care for your newborn. If you do not eat and drink enough, you may not produce enough milk to breastfeed. Breastfeeding moms need to add about 300 to 500 extra calories to their daily intake. If you are feeding twins, double that! If you are not breastfeeding, consumption of calories should be the same as it was before pregnancy.

Eating properly will also help you to deal with your postpartum weight. The best way to combat postpartum weight is to be eating a healthy diet. In addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner, avoid eating junk foods. When you’re tired, eat foods that are healthy such as fruits and vegetables it will go a long way in dealing with your postpartum weight

Hydration will also help your postpartum weight and keep your body nourished. Keep water beside you while breastfeeding and continue drinking throughout the day. Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these dehydrate and negatively affect the baby if you are still breastfeeding.

Ensuring sufficient calcium intake is vital to both your postpartum weight and your nursing baby. If not enough, your body will remove the calcium stored in bones to produce milk rich in nutrients it needs. That means the future of bone health suffers. Take steps now to ensure the continued health and maintain your postpartum weight.

Calcium is found in dairy products, yogurt, cheese, sardines and salmon with bones, sesame seeds. It will also help your body and help you in postpartum weight.

Iron is also an important part of postpartum nutrition and weight loss. Unfortunately, many women become anemic after the birth of their baby. Increasing your intake of iron will fight anemia. Foods rich in iron include lean red meat, egg yolk, tofu, lentils, figs, spinach, and artichokes. Iron is necessary, but it is also important to help your body absorb iron. Foods rich in vitamin C will help your body to absorb the iron it needs. We know Orange juice contains vitamin C, but can also be found in other citrus fruits, tomatoes, baked potatoes, green leafy vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.

You should not be concerned with postpartum weight loss in the early period. It may take several months to lose the weight you gained during your pregnancy. The best ways to reduce postpartum weight is by reducing high-fat snacks and eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. You can safely lose 3-4 pounds a month as long as you continue to eat a healthy balanced diet.

Walking is a great form of exercise that would help you in postpartum weight and also contribute to increasing your bowel activity and prevent constipation. Drinking water is also critical during the postpartum period.

Postpartum weight management can be a difficult task for new moms. But with regular practice and time management, you can know how best to get your postpartum weight.

http://losebabyfatnow.com/2016/01/14/what-you-need-to-know-about-postpartum-weight/
Re: What You Need To Know About Postpartum Weight by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 17, 2016
Thanks. Had my baby about one month ago. Almost back to my pre pregnancy body, just my tummy remaining. I just reduce my carbs and include lots of veggies in my soup if i want to eat eba. I hope to lose d tummy fat b4 three months post partum. Wish me luck

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? / What Is The Correct Way To Peel Yam? / Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.