Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,249 members, 7,811,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

NL Is Losing Quality - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NL Is Losing Quality (614 Views)

Nigerian Ladyl Smiles Despite Losing Left Arm In Accident / How Was It Like Losing Your Young Love Ones / All The Things That Happen To You When Your Club Is Losing In 10 Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NL Is Losing Quality by rexbuton: 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2016
I joined NL in 2006 but I lost access to my account so I created a new one in 2008. Then, everyone knew almost everyone and we discussed real issues offering ideas and solutions to every problem brought up.
I would like to remind us that nairaland is owned by seun osewa who oversees the site and Ads. Many members here remember how nairaland used to be in the from inception till we lost our data. Personally I lost some essays that were valuable to me and I had no backup then... After that, the shared grief forced nationalism and everyone strived to make nairaland better. Nairaland used to be a search engine in its own right, people could search for any thing peculiar to Nigeria or Africa and get quality discussion with first hand accounts. Nairaland had real Rules & Reg, it's influence was far reaching , even used in conjunction with google translate by non-English speakers. In fact for our data to have been stolen, that means we were considered a real threat to the status quo, whether it was the government or a rival or the NSA, I'm sure they are happy now because we don't even have data worthy of theft.

Fast forward to 2014 things became pretty bad, With the super-emergence of blogging, NL has become the repository of unverified blog posts and even more painfully they are pushed to the front page by the super mods, sometimes with only two comments! And many of these topics do not even make it to the second page.. either it is KCEE's dress, or Cynthia Morgan's hair or what what Tonto dike had for breakfast.. Irrelevant bollocks, and the site is judged by these! Truth is Nairaland users do not care about these things, we don't turn on our PCs to see what Olamide said to Wande coal.. And remember that these blog posts are all echoed in all the other blogs. Sites run on money, but excessive commercialization would spell doom for any site.

Many of us are members of other fora like stackoverflow, stackexchange etc and I regret to say that there is more orderliness out there.. America has more gossip than Nigeria but you don't see gossip on american fora except when they want to analyse the gossip.. and they stay strictly on topic. Seeing comments on Nairaland even even irritates me more, 45% 0f Nigerians are bored by 600 words or more, no matter how informative or interesting the topic is, what rubbish! The day we stop reading is the day we die!

I suggest that we create a section for blog posts and put a link to it on every part of the site, while we remove them from front page. Seun and the other super mods should bring proper themes to the front page. We cannot continue to read rubbish on NL. Bring topics to FP even if they are 10 yrs old as long as they are FP worthy. Doing this would attract the right traffic + Ads and the irrelevant 45% would have no choice but to adapt. NAIRALAND IS NOT A BLOG

mynd44
obinoscopy
ishilove
afam4eva
I really hope I have made sense
Re: NL Is Losing Quality by divinehand2003(m): 9:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
Yes, you made a lot of sense. I stopped going through NL FrontPage about 3 months ago because it's no longer sense worthy. The MODs should sit up and do some work now.

1 Like

Re: NL Is Losing Quality by rexbuton: 9:31pm On Jan 24, 2016
it doesn't make a difference... maybe we should accept poor quality in changing with the times.. I saw seun reading through,I thought he would leave a comment.. I thought we were friends
Re: NL Is Losing Quality by CharlyNick: 9:34pm On Jan 24, 2016
Sorry about that tongue

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode Appoints Prof. Wole Soyinka, To Head Lagos @50 Committee / Vacancy For Unemployed Graduates And Semi-graduates / Where In Nigeria So You Think Valentine Could Be Celebrated Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.