Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever (1077 Views)

BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary / 8 Things That Happen To Your Body During Sex / How Lassa Fever Transmits And How To Prevent It.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by anyimontana(m): 7:07am On Jan 25, 2016
With the outbreak of the deadly Lassa fever across Nigeria, here are things to know about the virus and the deadly rat that transmits it.
1) Lassa fever is an acute viral illness that occurs in west Africa and is caused by the Lassa virus.

2) The Lassa virus, a member of the Arenavirus family of viruses is a single-stranded RNA virus and is zoonotic, or animal-borne

.3) The illness was discovered in 1969 when two missionary nurses died in Nigeria and the virus is named after the town in Nigeria where the first cases occurred.

4) In 1972, the Natal multimammate rat (aka Mastomys natalensis or the African rat) was found to be the natural host of the Lassa fever virus.

5) It is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. are the largest family of rodents and indeed of mammals, containing over 700 species found naturally throughout Eurasia, Africa, and Australia.
6) Mastomys natalensis is commonly known as the “multimammate rat” due to the female’s multiple and prominent mammary glands. These rats associate closely with humans, and are commonly found in and around African villages.

7) The virus is transmitted to humans from contacts with food or household items contaminated with rodent excreta. Person-to-person infections and laboratory transmission can also occur, particularly in the hospital environment in the absence of adequate infection control measures.

cool Prevention of Lassa fever relies on promoting good “community hygiene” to discourage rodents from entering homes. Effective measures include storing grain and other foodstuffs in rodent-proof containers, disposing of garbage far from the home, maintaining clean households and keeping cats.

Family members should always be careful to avoid contact with blood and body fluids while caring for sick persons.
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by ladyF(f): 7:09am On Jan 25, 2016
If you have rats running around your house this period, pray!!!
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 25, 2016
Why was I expecting to see how to identify rats with the virus?
Thanks for the info..
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by anyimontana(m): 7:24am On Jan 25, 2016
favoured234:
Why was I expecting to see how to identify rats with the virus?
Thanks for the info..

Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by anyimontana(m): 7:26am On Jan 25, 2016
ladyF:
If you have rats running around your house this period, pray!!!
I had to intensify on efforts to hunt dem down,..extra dosage of kill and dry on bread crumbs
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 25, 2016
[quote author=anyimontana post=42300042][/quote]
Thanks but who will hold a rat that way...
To me all rats are potential laser carriers
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by anyimontana(m): 7:29am On Jan 25, 2016
favoured234:

Thanks but who will hold a rat that way...
To me all rats are potential laser carriers
bring money make I hold am for u wit paper bag tongue
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 25, 2016
anyimontana:
bring money make I hold am for u wit paper bag tongue
No thanks, I am fortunate, since laser fever outbreak I have not set my eyes on rats only cats tongue
Re: 8 Things To Know About The Deadly Rat Which Transmits Lassa Fever by anyimontana(m): 7:37am On Jan 25, 2016
favoured234:

No thanks, I am fortunate, since laser fever outbreak I have not set my eyes on rats only cats tongue
funny enuf,all d cats in my estate has mysteriously disappeared..mayb dey died after consumption or relocated.not sure which sha

(1) (Reply)

Men Beware! This Sex Position Could Break Your Manhood! / Rejoinder: Medical Scientist Don Replies NMA On It's Directives. / Is Epilepsy Contagious?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.