Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,408 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? (1714 Views)

32m Nigerians Yet To Do Their BVN Registration One Month To Deadline / The Success Of Tecno: A Business Lesson For All / Dangote On Business, Success & Going Global (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by neticash(m): 10:30am On Nov 08, 2005
Please can anyone tell us why a Nigerian is yet to make a financial success of the Internet. And NO, it's not because of Low Internet penetration in Nigeria. Nigerians in diaspora make up a huge market for a potential Nigeria based online business. So what is the problem? Is it that we like easy money(from Govt. contracts and 419) or what? or that we do not know how to run a proper business (no business continuity)?

Yet so many of us are turning over millions for Top notch IT firms, financial firms and public sector organisations, from the UK, USA all the way to Australia. So what is the problem?

If we cannot answer these question, then we have a long long way to go.

E.J.O
neticash
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by ababoy1(m): 2:39pm On Nov 09, 2005
Trust

With every e-commerce venture comes an element of trust....

If you cant trust the seller then there is no business to transact....
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by neticash(m): 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2005
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by DC(m): 2:45am On Nov 19, 2005
Please tell me who will support you when you sit at home and try and cook up one venture and your bills are mounting. That is why the diaspora people have not done it. I would mention that there have been a few U.K consultant millionaires like Amosu (ringtones) and others. But it is not as rampant as it should be.

A major factor is labour costs, not just trust. Who will you tell to help you for nothing till the business takes off? Nobody, every one is in a rush. "i just have to get paid this week" or "I am doing my masters".

Also you cannot look at the diaspora without taking a backview of where they are coming from. Think of it they will tell you oh! I need to send western U. for so so and so that is why I am doing 3jobs. How can they now have winning ideas under such pressure, impossible.

SOLUTIONS:
A key way out of this mess is for forumns like this to act as liverage for peoples ideas. So you get like minded people knocking heads together.

Another alternative is to get the people back home working and not just expecting handouts from those abroad. So say introducing Outsourcing work. So if a nigerian man in australia has an idea of say: online market, all he needs is the data, send it back to nigeria they build the database and by the time he is rolling out his business plan the site is live.

Anyway a lot of people to be honest don't know where to start...
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2007
Let every Nigerian focus on achieving his/her own personal success in a clean way and we'll all be better for it.
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 02, 2009
Because Nigeria has no credit system. If we can't use credit cards how the hell are we going to buy stuff online.
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by BOSS6: 9:59pm On Feb 02, 2009
Nigerians are blind to every opportunity around them, they are more interested in talking about the problems rather than the opportunities.
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by naijacutee(f): 2:55am On Feb 06, 2009
ababoy got it right. Trust is the keyword. In Nigeria, especially with all the 419 scams we hear about, most people are very very quick to immediately come to a negative conclusion when they hear the words "internet" and "money" in the same sentence. We Nigerians, both home and abroad will regard everything we see on the internet - especially when it is business-related, with suspicion and rightly so, as we know what our brothers are capable of. Once we can overcome this trust issue (Only God knows how), then it would be easier for us to harness the power of the internet positively.

I think the "liking easy money" thing is out of the question. People (especially us Nigerians) prefer to transact business with people they know. Hence people that get government contracts are usually people who know someone who know someone, because somehow the trust barrier has been lowered (a little).
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by esolutions: 3:23pm On Feb 06, 2009
Nigerians are the way they are because of impatience and lack of focus. Millions of those who have gotten access to opportunities engages in the opportunity if is is a get rich quick program. This mentality is itching deep into people's financial life that everything they put their money into get their fingers burnt.

I am happy today that a good number of people have realized that wonder banks are no go area, but secretly, i must tell you that they are still interested in wonder banks. That is why many people cannot start a serious business on the internet. They jump from opportunities to opportunities. Forex to blogging to web design to sales of crash helmet and others. In my whole time on the net, i was faced by these problems, but did not gave them attention. Today, i can tell you authoritatively that INFORMATION MARKETING BUSINESS is making my bank account smile every week, even when i am writing first/second semester exams.

Recently, i came across an interview in Success Digest Extra, published in June 2008 of a young boy of 22 years old who makes N50,000 weekly from the simple information marketing business. I was thrilled! Yesterday, i came across the publisher of Success Digest Extra and Complete Sports, Dr Sunny Obazu Ojeagbase, congratulating him on his 23rd birthday. Guess what? I visited his website and saw something that nearly blew my eye-balls out. He has right on the website a cheque worth more than N100,000, which he received for selling an information product to only 44 people. Because seeing is believing, you can check out what i am saying in his website: www.centreformoneymaking.com
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by franel79(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2009
So Many reasons prevent us from succeeding on the internet.
1, We have not been that trust worthy
2, Most of the Real Online Programs that will benefit nigerians have been blocked from being accessed by Nigerian IP addresses as a result of reason one above
3, We do not try out our best at a particular program before going over to another one.
4, We take too many things for granted. Trust being the first thing.
5, We lack the skills. Online business should be a course to be taught in schools

So many others and that is y we often prefare 419 Scams as the easyway out which is not the best.
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by kro: 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
know why

coz evertone is in a haste to try and sell an info product on the internet.

why is nairaland successful,it started free,you can register free and all is free free free

most successful dotcoms started with the free of charge concept,google,yahoo,facebook

the ket to success on the internet is free, free, free

not everything should be free though,but i believe making son
Re: Why are Nigerians Yet To Make a Financial/Business Success of the Internet? by jasblack: 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Zenith Bank! What Is The Minimum Amount / How Do I Claim A Moneygram Int'l Money Order / WHOELSE Can Solve This Simple Math?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.