Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift (24086 Views)

Ebuehi, Other Players Unhappy With Rohr / Tunisia Defeat D’tigers In Afrobasket Final / BREAKING: Nigeria’s D’tigers Overpower Senegal, Zoom Into Afrobasket Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by robosky02(m): 11:36am On Jan 26, 2016

The national basketball team players have expressed shock and great disappointment over the largesse President Muhammadu Buhari gave national athletes last Thursday in Abuja. One of the players, who spoke with The PUNCH on Monday on condition of anonymity, said the players had discussed at length and concluded that the N600,000 the President gave them for winning the 2015 Africa Nations Cup would do quite a lot of harm to their future aspirations.

He said, “Do you know that it’s less than $2,000 at the current market value? Is that what you are giving to NBA players for winning a competition for the first time in the history of Nigeria? If Senegal, whose women’s team have won the African cup several times, could still give blocks of flats to their players, what then are we saying when we give such an amount to our players?

“We would have preferred to be honoured in other ways like getting the least of the national honours or a postage stamp with our photo. That would have been better than for us to get half of what young footballers from age grade competitions, who should have been given scholarships, got.”

The basketballer complained that those who advised the President were responsible for the poor state of sports in Nigeria as they always gave too much preference to footballers.

“We got $100 as camp allowance and $500 as bonus for winning the African cup whereas the Eagles got $10,000 for winning a qualifying match to a tournament. What we achieved was not just winning the cup but also getting an Olympic ticket – the only ticket for Africa. It’s not fair.

“We have been talking to other players to join us for the Olympics but how do we now market the team to them? Is it by telling them that no government official will ever visit their camp? The CHAN Eagles have been visited by the sports minister but we all know that CHAN is not the same as the Africa Cup of Nations. Nobody bothered to visit us. We don’t need $2,000 because it can’t buy first class tickets; we want to be honoured properly. How can I leave New York for Abuja for a ceremony that gives me less than $2,000?”

Meanwhile, in the USA, 25 of the nation’s top women’s basketball players have been named as finalists for the 2016 US Olympic Women’s Basketball Team. The 25 finalists selected by the USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee include the Ogwumike sisters – Chiney and Nnemkadi. The final 12-member US Olympic Team will be selected from this group later this year

http://www.punchng.com/dtigers-unhappy-with-buharis-n600k-gift/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by UrennaNkoli(f): 11:42am On Jan 26, 2016
Too bad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by hob(m): 11:42am On Jan 26, 2016
They should manage it

Times r hard

24 Likes

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by robosky02(m): 11:53am On Jan 26, 2016
hob:
They should manage it

Times r hard

“We got $100 as camp allowance and $500 as bonus for winning the African cup whereas the Eagles got $10,000 for winning a qualifying match to a tournament. What we achieved was not just winning the cup but also getting an Olympic ticket – the only ticket for Africa. It’s not fair

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by orobs93(m): 11:58am On Jan 26, 2016
I talk am before
This guy's are the senior national team I see knw reason why football u 17 shud , higher than theirs...

Well basket bal though

But I totally agree with them..if tins were hard at list u make the money equal not paying some higher than some..

It's good they cried out I believe next time their demands will be addressed.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Kelklein(m): 11:59am On Jan 26, 2016
Abeg, If dem no want, make dey con dash me na

grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by MadCow1: 11:59am On Jan 26, 2016
Make dem getaway... angry

If the Government Gave blocks of Flat to every team that wins medals for the Country, we would run out of Land after the 2050 Olympics.

Athletes now see representing the Country as a job rather than a privilege.

The Country is broke. We dey Owe other countries money wey we never fit pay.

Infact, make Government stop to involve themselves in sports. Make private companies take up these sports matter.

If the 600,000 pain dem, make dem return am to the our TSA account for CBN. angry

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by robosky02(m): 11:59am On Jan 26, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
Too bad

football is getting too much attention

lets encourage other sports men

especially when we need them to will more medals at the olympics

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Guyman02: 12:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
This is the reason other sports have been lagging behind football in Nigeria. Me self was surprised that our SENIOR basketball team who won the African nations Cup and qualified us for the Rio Olympics got a paltry 600K while our very JUNIOR under 17 football team got N1.2m for winning gold also.
Match bonus for basketballers $100 while Super Eagles get $10,000 as match allowance.
How can they be motivated to put in their best at Rio Olympics when only footballers will get all the attention?

While lauding PMB for the gesture, he should also be guided by the Sports minister to also focus on other sports too not just football. I am saying this even as a football lover who wants to see Nigeria having a Djokovic or Serena Williams in tennis, Usain Bolt in athletics, Mayweather in boxing etc

Nobody bothered to visit us. We don’t need $2,000 because it can’t buy first class tickets; we want to be honoured properly. How can I leave New York for Abuja for a ceremony that gives me less than $2,000?”
Jes imagine!

blazetitov:
Hmmm. The athlete has a huge point. But they should see this as call to serve their fatherland. .
This is their only source of livelihood and they have families to take care of while making us proud with their art and performances. I suggest you forfeit your own salary to your organisation as service to fatherland. Nonsense!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by blazetitov: 12:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
Hmmm. The athlete has a huge point. But they should see this as call to serve their fatherland. I also don't support paying huge bonus to those boring super eagles when the only thing they know how to do best is play like kindergarten pupils and giving soccer loving Nigerians heartbreaks. The NSC should find a balance.

3 Likes

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by solochris(m): 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
hope he wil not probe dem later after giving dem dis 600k. they Shld put pen to paper o cos I dnt trust dis baba atall

1 Like

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Prowizy2(m): 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
If them share that money finish e no reach each person to buy drink and smoke skunk.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by onadana: 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
That baba gave that stipend is even a miracle on it's own.

6 Likes

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Splashme: 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
wes
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by missKiffy(f): 12:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
Too bad, Nigeria favors football more than any other sport

1 Like

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by robosky02(m): 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2016
no take other people job/skill means of lively hood for grqanted

if they don nigeria for US or Qater we will still rubish them

MadCow1:
Make dem getaway

5 Likes

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Thatitan234(m): 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2016
Its quite unfair and its more like we still don't appreciate their efforts.
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2016
hob:
They should manage it

Times r hard
We always remember management when it involves those making our country great but the government wouldn't manage the resources either in their feeding money or the huge allowance.

It's always about patriotism when it involves the people but the government will never replicate the same. Even football players are given a bonus higher than that for winning a match. A match with less value

Like she said, how do you expect a player to come all the from America for $2000 that can't even solve any of her problems? A national honour would have been better than that.

To even imagine this is the first time we are winning it and some persons are already shattering their morale for the Olympics.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Chrisdonca(m): 12:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
Toooo bad

1 Like

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by goshen26: 12:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
Funny
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by porrigeyam(m): 12:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
Send it to my bank account undecided
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by BUSHHUNTER: 12:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
No more patriotism again you are doing it for your nation not because of the goddamn money girl!

#Vex

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Kangol99(m): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
Ok
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by nani212(m): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
The cash is small compared to what they achieved. Government should have rewarded them with a plot of land each because I know they will claim that the reason for giving them such amount is because Nigeria economy is bad or does bad economy affect plots of lands too

1 Like

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by tahir01(m): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
Make them manage na.
Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by Demdem(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2016
robosky02:

“We got $100 as camp allowance and $500 as bonus for winning the African cup whereas the Eagles got $10,000 for winning a qualifying match to a tournament. What we achieved was not just winning the cup but also getting an Olympic ticket – the only ticket for Africa. It’s not fair

Life in itself isnt fair. Far less Nigerians follow Basketball than football. Football is more of a national game than basketball. Our finances now isnt in top shape because of previous misgovernance. Please accept it with love. Its called a gift for a purpose. U dont dictate.

1 Like

Re: D’tigers Unhappy With Buhari’s N600k Gift by cosmic22(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2016
600k?

u17 got 1.2m

why does Nigeria always place it eggs in 1 basket

yea we all know football is d most popular sports doesn't mean we shouldn't honour other athletes with the same respect.............

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Manchester United Confirm Andre Onana Signing From Inter Milan. / Segun Toriola Crashes Out Of #Rio2016 / Europa League: Football Fan Travels For 28 Hours To The Wrong Match Venue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.