Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,010 members, 7,814,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> (714 Views)

16 Reasons You Should Be An Entrepreneur And Own A Business / Top Reasons You Should Make Up Your Mind About Joining Fiverr / 7 Surprising Reasons On Why Entrepreneurs Go Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> by emmalexdboy(m): 9:50am On Jan 27, 2016
Re: 7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> by Donald3d(m): 10:11am On Jan 27, 2016
emmalexdboy:
Source url: http://www.onlinebloggingincome.com/can-you-start-a-free-blog

I've seen many so-called internet experts in Nigeria dish out blogging advice that looks like this: start a free blog, scrape few articles from other website and paste on your blog, apply for Adsense and gbam ... the more will start pouring into your account on a daily basis.

Well, everyone would have been a billionaire if that was true and the thing about Nigerians is that: they want everything for free! They want a domain name for free, web hosting for free, even blog posts for free.

I even saw a thread where someone was
asking how he could get a free traffic automated
software for generating traffic on autopilot, can you imagine?

The fact is: if you really want to build a successful blog these days, that'll earn you reasonable cash, you've to aviod free blogging platforms like and blogger.

Do you want to why? Here you go:

1.It doesn't make you serious

You know we take things that comes free: no value.
You won't have a blogging schedule, no plan etc.
After all, you got the blog for free, so you have
nothing to lose. But this is going to delay your
success in true reality because you won't be
committed towards what you're doing.

Look at it this way: if you had invested some cash into starting your blog, won't you be committed towards making it successful?

This is so because you won't want your money to down the drain so the zeal and focus will be there.

2.Your blog url looks ugly and sometimes confusing

When you start a blog on a free platform, it usually comes with the host name at the end. You can imagine an url like www.myblogisgood..com or
www.myfineblog.. This is very long, confusing and looks very unprofessional. You can imagine someone trying to visit your blog and forgot to put the . or ..com at the end.

They head straight to another blog. And that's free traffic to your competitors

3.You can't customize your blog design

Do you wonder why most free blogs look alike? Well the answer is simple: no customization, no
tweaking. Though, you could be lucky to get a good template on blogger but on , you must be kidding me.

4.You don't own your blog

If you think you're the owner of the blog, then
you're totally mistaken. Your blog and all of its
content is owned by host, which is why you see the domain name ending in the host's name.

5.Search engines dislike free blogs

Have you ever wondered why free blogs don't get
listed in search engines pages (SERPs) when you
run a Google search? They are generally ranked
lower which is too bad. So, how are you going to
get consistent traffic to your blog?

6.Your blog can be deleted anytime

I'm sure you must have heard the story of Jide
Ogunsanya's blog, Ogbongeblog.com, which was
deleted mistakenly and that of Linda Ikeji which was deleted because some envy folks falsely reported her blog for copyright issues.

7.Readers won't listen to you

You can imagine someone claiming to be making money online and yet runs a free blog, would you even click through to his blog?
I doubt it.

Conclusion

I'm not a sworn hater of free blogging platforms. As a matter of fact, I started on Blogger myself but the truth is: the blog was taking me nowhere and that was a very long time ago. I had to abandon the blog and make good use of my precious time.

I can't even remember the url, can you imagine?
If you intend to run a successful online business,
you need to forget about free blogs - you'll waste
your time and efforts.

No kidding! I know... your next thought: Linda Ikeji runs a free blog and she makes it, why should I not.

Just like one of my
coach will say: She's an exception, not the rule. She started blogging when blogging was not popular in
the foreign countries - let alone Nigeria. The
competition was less then and trust me if she
wasn't passionate about what she was doing, she would have quit.

So, my advice is this:
If you want to blog for fun or as a hobby where you write stories and share with friends ...a free blog will suffice but if you intend to start an online business on a serious note, then forget about free platforms and get a self-hosted blog, preferably on Wordpress. This means you get full control and monetize your blog according to your taste without restriction.

I would love hear your thoughts on this, lasasticlala, do you agree or did I miss something?

Source url: http://www.onlinebloggingincome.com/can-you-start-a-free-blog
i wore my gloves before coming here so nothin shocked me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin , you try sha
Re: 7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> by shocker007(m): 10:44am On Jan 27, 2016
Number 5 is wrong for .
Google recognize them above other platforms.

I accept with users not been serious because its free. I can advice they use the platform but add a domain to it.
I know of a firm doing great things on Blogger in Nigeria but won't mention.
Its a pity not many are exploring the opportunity. And that's because we don't have many developers to work on this platform in Nigeria.

NaijaLoaded now pay over $1000 for hosting monthly. If it was blogger he will pay nothing.
Linda ikeji is spending as she wish because she doesn't feel that pain of spending heavy on her platform.
That's an edge for her. He blog runs on just 3k per year.

My advice is, if you are serious, get a good developer for your blog and make sure not to post things that isn't in line with google terms.
Blogger is really a great platform if you know what you doing. I see some new firm on WordPress and laugh at them because its just a waste of money. But its none of my business.

Thanks to OP for this though.
My conclusio will still be; Spend so you feel the Seriousness but Spend Wisely.
Re: 7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 27, 2016
Interesting
Re: 7 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Start A Free Blog <#4 Will Shock You> by Ub4sure: 9:41pm On Jan 27, 2016
I dey feel una though I no get any blog or website. Una weldone o o o o o o

(1) (Reply)

Cashew Business / Basic Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging / Post All Your Nairaland Business Related Scam Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.