Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,020 members, 7,825,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

What Happened To John The Baptist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happened To John The Baptist? (670 Views)

'I'm John The Baptist' - Kenyan ‘Prophet’ With 39 Wives / Ibadan Baptist Pastor Locked Out By Church Members Over Embezzlement (Photo) / The Enigma Of John The Baptist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To John The Baptist? by IMO22(m): 2:32pm On Jan 31, 2016
Lemme keep this as concise as possible.I Read that;
1)He Baptized Jesus, so must have seen the sign from God authenticating Jesus' status
2)He was later imprisoned and his head served on a platter
3)He leaped in his mothers womb when he heard Pregnant Mary's(Mother of Jesus) voice
4)He was strong in spirit having spent most of his years in the wilderness.

As a researcher in comparative religion I think it is only right to point out seeming inconsistencies in Holy Books when found.
Please don't perceive this as Libel.I only seek clarification from co scholars.
In Matthew 11:2, the Bible recorded that John, while in prison sent his disciples to Jesus to inquire if he(Jesus) was really the anticipated saviour(pls all ref should be from the Bible).
That doesn't add up in my head at all. How do u doubt the same person for whom you came? Does it mean that John didn't see enough signs as proof of Jesus's Lordship? Was John expecting something from Jesus while in prison and never got it? Wasn't he with Jesus long enough to know all he should?

Oya my people, pls put my deluding mind on the right track.....THANK U!!!
Re: What Happened To John The Baptist? by IMO01: 6:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
IMO22:
1)He Baptized Jesus, so must have seen the sign from God authenticating Jesus' status
3)He leaped in his mothers womb when he heard Pregnant Mary's(Mother of Jesus) voice

As a researcher in comparative religion I think it is only right to point out seeming inconsistencies in Holy Books when found.
In Matthew 11:2, the Bible recorded that John, while in prison sent his disciples to Jesus to inquire if he(Jesus) was really the anticipated saviour(pls all ref should be from the Bible).
That doesn't add up in my head at all. How do u doubt the same person for whom you came? Does it mean that John didn't see enough signs as proof of Jesus's Lordship? Was John expecting something from Jesus while in prison and never got it? Wasn't he with Jesus long enough to know all he should?

I used to ask this question too
Re: What Happened To John The Baptist? by Faithful4real(m): 6:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
IMO22:

John the baptist was expecting Jesus to come and save him. That was why he sent his disciples to Jesus to really confirm if he was the messiah.

That passage is actually showing you that a strong Christian can be faithless sometimes and forget what God told them.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To John The Baptist? by hoopernikao: 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
IMO22:

OP your answer is in verse 6.
Try read from 1-6 at least.

It is good to always read at least the full paragraph of the scriptures not a verse. If necessary read the whole chapter and sometimes the whole book. It gives you an holistic view.
Re: What Happened To John The Baptist? by Kobojunkie: 7:07am On Jun 17, 2020
IMO22:

That doesn't add up in my head at all. How do u doubt the same person for whom you came?
John the Baptist was an ordinary human being like you and I. He did not have previous knowledge of what Jesus would look like. He seemed aware of the mission for his life and he focused on that.
IMO22:
Does it mean that John didn't see enough signs as proof of Jesus's Lordship? Was John expecting something from Jesus while in prison and never got it? Wasn't he with Jesus long enough to know all he should?
I am not certain if John was told to expect signs when Jesus finally showed up, but I do know that from what is written, John's first and only exposure to Jesus Christ seemed to be at the river where he, John, baptized Jesus. And we are told that immediately after, Jesus Christ was ushered into the wilderness by the Spirit of God.
So it is safe to assume that John was never around Jesus long enough to learn of the man's particulars. And that could explain why he, John, sent his own disciples to go help certify that Jesus was indeed the one he had been waiting for. Some of the same disciples became Jesus's followers after John's death.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Pastor Whose Legs Must Not Touch Ground While Ministering (see Photo) / Household Enemies / I Saw This And Decided To Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.