Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Penastory: Twenty Episode 6 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Penastory: Twenty Episode 6 (616 Views)

Nysc Camp Experiences ( Episode 6 ) / The Graduate’s Story – True Life Experience Episode 6 / SEX & FASTING – EPISODE 6 (the Fight Of Conscience ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Penastory: Twenty Episode 6 by Abisoyee(m): 8:28am On Feb 02, 2016
http://penastory.com/2016/02/02/twenty-episode-6/

Excerpt from Episode 5:

“Are you alright sir? You really should not stress yourself so,” turning to Chioma, she reprimanded in a voice that clearly showed that she meant no disrespect “what did you do to him? His pulse is racing and he should not be this excited. Don’t you want your brother to live ni?”

“That snake is not my brother and I do not care if he lives or die!” Chioma retorted hotly. She turned her back on the grin that was spreading on David’s face and without looking back, she said “Are you aware that Matthew is dead?” Read Episode 5 via www.penastory.com

The grin that was spreading across David’s face was wiped away at the news. Emotions of fear and surprise grappled him and he tried sit up but the nurse gave a nasty look at him, a look that was clear indication that he was to lie still. Trying not to fume too much, the nurse turned to Chioma and in controlled tones said, “You too sef, don’t be telling him bad news na! Don’t you want him to live at all ni?”

“What do you mean Matthew is dead? How, where, when?” David said feebly from the bed, all the energy he had felt before drained out of him by the news. There was a look of agony on his face and this time when his eyes met with Chioma’s as she turned to face him with tear filled eyes, he had nothing of the malice they had had before.

“I don’t know,” the tears rolled down her cheek “he..he..was supposed to come to the house. He said…he said…he said he was on his way after I attacked you, he was on his way,” she choked out between sobs. The nurse stood there looking confused, her own questions racing in her head. Who was this Matthew? The girl had just confessed to putting the patient into this condition? How were this people related? Hope she had not put herself into trouble by collecting money from the woman who had left in a rush earlier? Should she tell one of the hospital authorities? Finally, she said, “Madam, stop this. Please sir just try and get some rest. I am sure that you can deal with whatever this is later on. You need your rest to recover.”

“Shut up!” Chioma and David barked at her simultaneously. The nurse looked between the two of them unsure of what to do and stared at the sleeping figure of Maryam who was still dozing like a member of a church congregation during a long and boring sermon. There was no hope of getting an answer from that one. Well, if they wanted t kill themselves, she might as well leave them to it and with that settled, she shrugged and left the room.

Chioma’s sob was beginning to get louder, loud enough to wake some of the other patients in the ward. David stared at her with a frown on his face, unsure whether to pity her of hate her. He knew she loved Matthew but at the same time, she had tried to kill him himself, was it not because of her he was here.

“Stop those tears and answer me, what killed Matthew? Did you kill him too? What happened?” Chioma stared at him with a blank expression on her face before what he was trying to say hit her. She hissed and turned her back again, her tears blinding her eyes to the curious stares of the other patients in the ward as she walked past their beds. She needed air, she just had to get out of there and it was with the tears streaming down her face unhindered that she walked out of the room that seemed to be choking the life out of her.

It was close to midnight before Chioma finally came back into the ward. The hospital was as silent as a graveyard and everyone was asleep except Maryam.

“Where have you been? I had to call my mother that I was going to stay at your end today. I couldn’t leave him alone here until you were back,” Maryam said, nodding towards the sleeping figure of David who was fast asleep.

“I have just been taking a walk, mother hasn’t called yet. I wish you left him though. He doesn’t deserve our time…” The shrill sound of a phone ringing interrupted Chioma and she frowned at the sound of the familiar ringtone. It took her some few seconds to see that place her fingers on it, it was David’s phone. How come he still had his phone after she had buried him and he had somehow miraculously arrived at the hospital. She walked toward the bed and stared at the screen, it was a private number. Could it be her mother? She had barely had time to make up her mind on whether she wanted to pick the call when it was disconnected. She glanced distractedly at Maryam who was looking at her with a puzzled expression on her face.

“I don’t remember him having his phone on him when I buried him…” the phone vibrated in her hand and she saw it was a text. Pressing the open button, she read

“Davo, I don do the packaging, your cous don ex the picture. I dey go Abj by morning. No call this number again o,” the text message read.

Find more interesting stuffs and older episodes on www.penastory.com

(1) (Reply)

Quote Of The Day / Poem: The State Of My Nation / Shade Took Charge Of Me Oh What A Moment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.