Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? (3207 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. / Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by Oliseh(m): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2005
In naija,most times we pay wat d bride's dad think she is worth or what tradition states & sometimes demanded 2 pay the cost in part of her upbringing(we all know where that happens)
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by layi(m): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2005
Bride price should be fixed at 25kobo. Una go sweat.

Really I think the idea of bride price is uncalled for. It makes it look as if the bride is beign sold to the husband. It shouldnt be imposed on the man.
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by allonym: 3:51am On Nov 15, 2005
bride price is ritual acknowledgement of the parents role in the upbringing of their daughter.  They have raised the most beautiful treasure and the bride price you pay signifies your acknowledgement of their efforts.  If you truely think about it, almost nobody has ever truely paid the monetary price that equals the investment parents have made in their children and compared to that, bride price is just a token gesture.
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by monister(f): 5:12am On Nov 15, 2005
allonym:

bride price is ritual acknowledgement of the parents role in the upbringing of their daughter.  They have raised the most beautiful treasure and the bride price you pay signifies your acknowledgement of their efforts.  If you truely think about it, almost nobody has ever truely paid the monetary price that equals the investment parents have made in their children and compared to that, bride price is just a token gesture.

beautifully said grin
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by Seun(m): 1:48pm On Nov 16, 2005
bride price is ritual acknowledgement of the parents role in the upbringing of their daughter.

Well, it's an unwise idea. A young couple starting out their marriage needs as much money as possible to smoothen their relationship, because shortage of money causes a lot of marriage problems. It is very unwise to rob them of a substantial portion of this money in the name of "tirual acknowledgement".

The yoruba tradition of the bridegroom protrating to the parents of the bride and saying "thank you" is acknowledgement enough. if indeed the 'bride price' is acknowledgement of the parents' investment in bringing up the bride, why does the bride not have to pay a "groom price" for the man. Are you saying parents of the groom haven't invested in their child?
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by allonym: 8:52pm On Nov 16, 2005
The bride's family is loosing a daughter, not really gaining a son. The new family will have the groom's surname, and will be part of the grooms family. When you meet them in a new city, if you'd never met the girl before, all you would know is that they are mr and mrs X. . Not the joined family of mr. x and mrs y. This is why a "groom price" is not paid.

Like i said, it is a ritual token, and i'm pretty sure, that unless the groom was very well off, his parents or relatives were the one paying the price, not him.
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by Seun(m): 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2005
There is nothing that prevents a married woman from using her parents' name after marriage. For example, Our finance minister uses the name Okonjo-Iweala, and a popular actress uses the name Jalade-Ekeinde. It's not a such a big deal.

Perhaps you believe that a wife is her husband's property and so he has to pay the price? If not, are you saying that the bride price is to pay for the name change? Wouldn't that be petty, paying a hefty sum so they'll let her use your surname?
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by allonym: 5:49pm On Nov 17, 2005
you seem to miss the point of what i'm saying. I'm not sure if this is deliberate.

I understand what you are saying, I'm not exactly for or against bride price, I was giving you the reasons behind it. If you want to talk about whether or not ppl should continue paying it. . that is something else. This topic seems to be assuming that it is going to be paid not questioning the practice.
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by Ndipe(m): 2:56am On Oct 26, 2007
If the parent feel they are 'losing their daughter', then dont give her up!.
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by almondjoy(f): 6:33am On Oct 26, 2007
"The Ikebe" grin
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by toshmann(m): 12:01pm On Oct 27, 2007
Seun:

Well, it's an unwise idea. A young couple starting out their marriage needs as much money as possible to smoothen their relationship, because shortage of money causes a lot of marriage problems. It is very unwise to rob them of a substantial portion of this money in the name of "tirual acknowledgement".

The yoruba tradition of the bridegroom protrating to the parents of the bride and saying "thank you" is acknowledgement enough. if indeed the 'bride price' is acknowledgement of the parents' investment in bringing up the bride, why does the bride not have to pay a "groom price" for the man. Are you saying parents of the groom haven't invested in their child?

for the Ist time in my entire nairaland history, i'm agreeing with this clown grin grin grin the banorable seun MP oga no vex o

allonym:

The bride's family is loosing a daughter, not really gaining a son. The new family will have the groom's surname, and will be part of the grooms family. When you meet them in a new city, if you'd never met the girl before, all you would know is that they are mr and mrs X. . Not the joined family of mr. x and mrs y. This is why a "groom price" is not paid.

Like i said, it is a ritual token, and i'm pretty sure, that unless the groom was very well off, his parents or relatives were the one paying the price, not him.

you can never be more wrong. after marriage, the woman is still part of her father's family. thay aint loosing no daughter. she aint dead.

my suggestion(s): bride price should be scrapped and yoruba culture of prostration b4 her parents endorsed by the national assembly for all nigerian(including the diaspora)marriages

if money must be paid, then it should be paid for only virgins and the senate should make a law to endorse a method chosen by experts(like me) to test virginity and a pricing method arranged for virginity and youth.

if the girl is no virgin then money is paid to the man in compensation, the amt of money will depend on how wide the door of the woman's babylon is. the wider the door, the more money she pays to the man
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by ifyalways(f): 6:36pm On Oct 27, 2007
Toshmaan you don kolo finsh tongue tongue tongue

in my place the bride price is determined by the educational qualification of the bride.

for me ooooo,it should be determined by the size and quality of arsenal and manchester . tongue tongue tongue
Re: What criteria should determine a bride's dowry? by tamme: 12:53am On Jul 15, 2009
it depends on his pocket, you cant tell a poor man to pay something like three hundred thousand naira

(1) (Reply)

10 African Inventions That Changed The World. / Ose Asina/ Eyonu Awon Agba / If A Child Fall From Her Mother's Back Is It A Bad Omen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.