Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,653 members, 7,955,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:40 AM

How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? (3339 Views)

Daddy Freeze Would Certainly End An Athiest Or Agnostic. Hardmirror's Opinion / RCCG Bans Aso Ebi, Ungodly Wedding Engagement / When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by Olajhidey22(m): 5:44pm On Feb 04, 2016
First and foremost i will love to start this topic by saying that God ALWAYS and at all times present us with the truth without any iota of uncertainty. The Holy Spirit hints us sometimes, that we are threading on a wrong part, the decision of whether to move ahead with God’s will or continue in such relationship is left to us.

A practical example is the one shared by a lady below:

“I was headed for trouble and I knew it but I kept walking toward it. I had asked God months before to release me from what had been on my mind heavily for days. God had released me from him. We hadn’t spoken in upwards of four months. But here I was thinking about him, missing “that old thing.” I kept telling myself to let it go but one day before I could talk myself out of it, I texted him.

That text was the beginning of a spiral so quickly moving downward that by the end, my head was spinning and I was dazed. We texted each other every day for weeks like no time had passed between us. I made sure to make mention frequently of my growing connection with God and my celibacy standards according to my faith. He didn’t really respond. I glossed over that telltale sign thinking, “Oh, he understands. He seems like he’s changed, anyway.”

He hadn’t changed because two months into us talking again, we ended up breaking my vow of celibacy (the state of abstaining from sexual relations). I say WE because I was there. I was a willing participant. I had abandoned my standards for the affection of a man who never respected me or my standards to begin with. Silly me.

I was overwhelmed afterward, knowing what we had could not continue. He wanted sex and I wanted him but I wanted my relationship with God more. I also knew I had failed God and myself in a promise to honor my temple. How had I gone so wrong? A moment of loneliness caused me to suffer such heartache, pain and guilt and it was my fault. I cried for days and felt like I had failed miserably. But in the midst of it all God’s mercy prevailed”

=> You might have made a very bad decision in a past relationship or presently still in such bondage and you don’t know how you can free yourself from this.. You can still repent, ask God’s forgiveness and don’t make the same mistake again. You have to know that you are worth more and that you love God more than to give yourself away to any ol’ body.”

=> Yes, sometimes we do fall into sexual sin because of our own careless and unchecked emotions and feelings, but those naughty mistakes need not define us. We can get back up if we truly ask forgiveness of our sins, search within yourself the reason for you falling into such sin (this could be due to loneliness, bored, sex-addiction etc), try and adjust yourself of those possible factors and behaviors and flee those things that caused you to fall. We CAN be overcomers.

The lady in the practical example above is a witness. She was wallowing in the guilt of a bad decision while God was trying to show her that her worth is in Him, not random relationships. She sought the face of God on the situation once again… And that time around, she made it clear to her ex that they need not keep in touch again.

You should not keep in touch or continue in a relationship with someone who had no regard for God or your decisions concerning your own body which is God’s temple.

You should not continue in a relationship that would drive on your carnal nature and demote your spiritual nature. You ought not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever no matter how good a time you might have had together in the past.(2 Corinthians 6:14) No matter how easy it was to talk to him. No matter how affectionate he seemed toward you.

He might later try reaching over to you to persuade you on re-thinking on the decision you’ve made. They WILL surely try you, you know! Just to see if they can shake you from your decision. But when they do, be sure to take your stand for good.

=> It’s hard extremely hard sometimes, taking that bold step to follow Christ instead of our natural desire for affection and attention. No matter how holy or saved we may claim to be, if we are honest with and about ourselves, we want to feel wanted. We rationalize why this guy isn’t so bad even though he doesn’t have a relationship with Christ and doesn’t honor our commitment to Him. We force ourselves convincingly to believe that he really is a good match and that “relationships are all about compromise.” But deep within yourself, you have no peace within you, wondering if you’ve made the right decision, secretly knowing that you didn’t because God already revealed this man’s heart to you and the outcome of the situation. Sometimes we don’t want to know what we already know so we suppress the truth because if we don’t we’ll be compelled to face the part we’ve played in our coming undone. So we keep trying to “make it work” by sacrificing our standards one by one until we one day, we look in the mirror and can’t even recognize ourselves anymore.

You need to ask yourself this question always like “Are you willing to forfeit your temple, your relationship with God, your self-worth for the attention of a man who values NONE of the above?”

We have to be very open and honest within our-self and then open and honest with God, asking His forgiveness first and foremost for seeking affirmation outside of Him. And thereafter you need to begin a DAILY – moment-to-moment, even – walk of purity. Not just in abstaining from sexual intimacy outside of marriage but in guarding your heart with all diligence.

Now, You have to pray daily that whatever emotions You have, whatever feelings may ever begin to rise for the next guy that comes along, You’ll be able to keep yourself in line with God’s Word and will.

1 Kings 11 reminds me of why God gives us clear instructions not to marry non-christians (unbeliever). This is a hot-burning issue for many Christians and surprisingly some see nothing wrong with it. But God’s word is clear in 2 Corinthians 6:14 – “Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Solomon was the wisest man that ever lived and He walked with God and followed God’s commands. That is until he got involved with women who God had clearly instructed him and the children of Israel not to marry in 1 Kings 9:1-9 and Deuteronomy 7:1-4. In 1 Kings 11:4,6 we see the effect his disobedience to God had on him – “his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been…So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the Lord ; he did not follow the Lord completely, as David his father had done.” Solomon went as far as building altars for these women so that they could worship their gods. And he even joined in. This all – wise king suddenly became a fool (as defined in the Bible) all because of disobedience.

Once we hearken to God’s voice, we can never go wrong. But the choice is ours. Solomon made the wrong one and paid dearly for it. His example is why you and I should make the right one. I promise you wont regret it!

Shalom!

Source: http://www.gospelbreed.com/2016/02/how-can-i-end-an-ungodly-relationship/

1 Like

Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by Elosky20: 5:45pm On Feb 04, 2016
j
Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by SirBlack999(m): 5:51pm On Feb 04, 2016
By being in a Godly relationship.

1 Like

Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by Olajhidey22(m): 6:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
SirBlack999:

That's just the summary of it all....Thanks for reading through! smiley
Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by SirBlack999(m): 10:29am On Feb 05, 2016
Olajhidey22:

That's just the summary of it all....Thanks for reading through! smiley
Anytime.
Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by analice107: 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2016
SirBlack999:
Very true. But the first godly relationship to be in is with Christ. Learn the rules of relationships from him.
Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by SirBlack999(m): 3:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
analice107:

Very true. But the first godly relationship to be in is with Christ. Learn the rules of relationships from him.
Jesus didn't date.
Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by setapartgirl(f): 9:50am On May 10, 2016
I almost got into this very crucial situation. In our music team, there is a rule to not to entertain any guys until 22. But i found myself opening up to this guy who is also a member of the music team. We went out together with his cousin and his younger brother. I became very vulnerable. Im kind of liking him already. There comes a time that I found myself infatuated with this guy. No matter how I deny it, it simply is so strong. I was so preoccupied. Eventually one time, I read an article about how to be vigilant especially with guys. I was convinced that i have left my heart unguarded when I entertained thoughts of this guy. I also attended to our prayer which discussed a message about getting back our first love to Jesus and forsake all the distractions/mediocrity/worldliness/compromises aside. I was convicted by the Holy Spirit and repented of my urguardedness. Later, we had our church event and the music team will take almost all of the responsibilities. We were together again. I have confessed that I like him and what I felt for him was not God-glorifying. I told him its very selfish and we should not continue pursuing each other. But his response was somewhat like, he wants to continue it. He kept on texting me, sometimes his text messages will include message of affection. He even gave me a gift during my birthday. I am really struggling. I don't want him in my life anymore, he's makes me grieve because Im being unfaithful to God. Your prayer will surely help me with this struggle.

1 Like

Re: How Can I End An Ungodly Relationship? by Olajhidey22(m): 8:59am On May 11, 2016
setapartgirl:
I almost got into this very crucial situation. In our music team, there is a rule to not to entertain any guys until 22. But i found myself opening up to this guy who is also a member of the music team. We went out together with his cousin and his younger brother. I became very vulnerable. Im kind of liking him already. There comes a time that I found myself infatuated with this guy. No matter how I deny it, it simply is so strong. I was so preoccupied. Eventually one time, I read an article about how to be vigilant especially with guys. I was convinced that i have left my heart unguarded when I entertained thoughts of this guy. I also attended to our prayer which discussed a message about getting back our first love to Jesus and forsake all the distractions/mediocrity/worldliness/compromises aside. I was convicted by the Holy Spirit and repented of my urguardedness. Later, we had our church event and the music team will take almost all of the responsibilities. We were together again. I have confessed that I like him and what I felt for him was not God-glorifying. I told him its very selfish and we should not continue pursuing each other. But his response was somewhat like, he wants to continue it. He kept on texting me, sometimes his text messages will include message of affection. He even gave me a gift during my birthday. I am really struggling. I don't want him in my life anymore, he's makes me grieve because Im being unfaithful to God. Your prayer will surely help me with this struggle.

Hmm... I sincerely share in & understand your plight perfectly well and i know how this feels like.
The best suggestion i can give to solve this present situation is to cut off your present relationship with this fellow (which i assume is very close).
But how do you go about this?
I'll list some point i can remember and i do hope you put them into practice & lets see how it works out.

1. You need to acknowledge your feelings: While you may be tempted to push your feelings down and pretend they don't exist, this is only a temporary solution. Feelings don't just "go away" if you ignore them - they come out in other, usually destructive ways.

2. Try to Put yourself at a very great distance from him always: Some distance is necessary for you to put these feelings to rest. If this person is part of your daily life (like you rightly mentioned - a Choir member as you are), do everything you can to minimize your contact with him. Don't sit next to him, don't walk him to/from church, minimize your contact online with him, tell him straight-down that you need some space and ask in a gentle and understandable mannered way that he respect that space so you can loose the feelings completely. Staying away from someone you really like can be hard, but it's an important part of putting a stop to these feelings.

3. Think deep & List Down the reasons why you want to loose those feelings : Make a list of his negative characteristics - Studies show that recognizing someone’s lesser qualities can help you get over those feelings (Most especially put into consideration the fact that will God be happy if you fall into sin due to the infatuation you have for this fellow)

4. Stay Busy Always: Focusing on this one person you have feelings for can narrow your scope: it can seem like no one else exists or can make you happy. Meeting new people reminds you this is not true, most especially hang out with your female friends always and never stay idle of a seconds. Never isolate, that's a major thing you need to work on.
Being kept busy is an important step toward redirecting your focus and not thinking about your feelings for this person. Don't give yourself time to think about it. But above all this make sure you’re having fun. Studies shows that laughter increases pain resistance. When you experience emotional pain, it activates the same areas of your brain as physical pain. Laughing will surely relieve your heartache.

5. PRAY PRAY & PRAY.....If possible fast, this should have come first in those listed points of mine but i don't wanna sound too SPIRITUAL in tackling this present issue. All you need is HIM at this present moment.

Please do keep me updated on your advancement on this and i pray that may God grant you the GRACE & STRENGHT to see this through (AMEN).

You can reach me via my PM.

Stay Blessed Dear.

(1) (Reply)

Download “street Gospel Gyration” 2017 Mixtape By DJ Ernesty / Dr Panam Percy Paul: "I Was Offered 7 Billion Naira Not To Sing About Jesus" / Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.