Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Odion Ighalo Rejects £300,000 A Week! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / EXCLUSIVE: Odion Ighalo Rejects £300,000 A Week! (578 Views)

Odion Ighalo And Wife, Sonia Adesuwa Ighalo In Similar Outfits In New Pictures / Odion Ighalo, His Wife Sonia And Their Children Pictured After Leaving World Cup / Odion Ighalo Set New Goal Record In Chinese Super League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Odion Ighalo Rejects £300,000 A Week! by mymadam(m): 12:04pm On Feb 06, 2016
Odion Ighalo did not sleep for days. For as long as he cared to remember he had been dreaming of scoring goals in the Premier League. Then, with Watford on the brink of their return to the top flight, there came a mind-boggling offer from China, promising to pay him £40million over four years.

When he said no, they came back and offered more. They continue to bombard him with offers, each one bigger than the last. The latest is double the original and still the answer is no.

‘I have 14 goals in the Premier League, how do I go to China now?’ said Ighalo, who signed a new five-year deal in September thought to be worth about £30,000 a week.

His mind is settled but when Watford owner Gino Pozzo gave him permission to talk to Hebei China Fortune last summer, he almost left.

‘I was very close,’ he said. ‘They made a £10m bid and were offering me over £200,000 a week; a four-year contract. I couldn’t sleep for three days. That kind of money is not easy to turn down.

Some team-mates in the dressing room were saying, “You can’t miss this chance”. But I don’t jump into decisions like that.

‘I prayed about it, and God said it was not for me, no matter how much money it was. I knew God would direct me. When I said I don’t want to go, they offered me more money, almost £300,000 a week. I told them it’s not about the money.’

Chinese Super League clubs are on an aggressive recruitment drive, with money no object, brokers on the prowl and a transfer window open until February 26.

‘They have called again and I have turned them down again,’ said Ighalo. ‘Maybe if I keep scoring goals, that team will come with triple the money at the end of the season. When the time is right to go to China I will know. If it’s for me it will come to pass.

‘When I was in Ajegunle, I was...

Continue

(1) (Reply)

No Fixed Match / We’ll Humiliate Egypt With Goals – Siasia / Five Eagles That Could Make A Difference Against Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.