Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,296 members, 7,839,460 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? (683 Views)

/ How I Use My Laptop More Than 8 Hours Without Charging / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by SeXyDiVa4(f): 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2009
I'm afraid of upgrading, last time I did, wireless stopped working?
Was the upgrade smooth for anyone?
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by lynxnoon(m): 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2009
YES I DID N IT WAS SMOOTH
THO I'D ADVICE U TO GET A GOOD, STABLE N FAST CONNECTION(funny tin is about 2 days ltr i got a copy of 9.04 in my mailbox grin wink)
GOOD LUCK ALL D SMAME
CHEERS smiley
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by bigrovar(m): 12:05am On Jul 04, 2009
SeXy~DiVa:

I'm afraid of upgrading, last time I did, wireless stopped working?
Was the upgrade smooth for anyone?
there are quite a number of improvement that jaunty has over ibex , faster bootup ( my system boots in 20secs) better notification UI , updated version or applications in the repositories , nothing really major just general polish of the system , i have never been an upgrade person , i always prefer the clean install , and since i have my home dir on a seperate partition i can clean install my system and still have the same user settings ,
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by Samunosuke(m): 1:21am On Jul 04, 2009
I think i'll skimp over 9.04 and go straight to 9.10 after all, 9.04 is not a long term support release. Anyways, did u test out the new file system? i read somewhere that it's buggy.
Used to have a problem with 7.10 whereby space disappeared from the drive( possible due to too much apt-get) but it was fixed by 8.10 which btw is great.I noticed that the startup time is dependent on the no of applications you've installed(its speed is comparrable to xp). I recently installed compiz-fusion and now i drop jaws. Trust me no other os has anything thats even close. Wish i could post a screenshot now(guess i'll do that later) bt i'm on a dual/triple boot config and 7 has got me piqued for the time being.
I primarily use ubuntu for aircrack-ng, it's a must-have if your wireless driver is up for the task. Ciao.

€¦Downloading freebsd now while testdriving netbsd. Will post back.¦€
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by lojik(m): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
Jaunty is way better except for display driver problems. A lot of VGA drivers have been blacklisted and therefore wont make compiz fusion and all its gizmos work. i have a CD repository of jaunty jackalope software that i burnt with 'APT ON CD'. Its free if u want it. just contact me on info@afrisoft.org
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Better Than 8.10? by lynxnoon(m): 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
lojik:

Jaunty is way better except for display driver problems. A lot of VGA drivers have been blacklisted and therefore wont make compiz fusion and all its gizmos work. i have a CD repository of jaunty jackalope software that i burnt with 'APT ON CD'. Its free if u want it. just contact me on info@afrisoft.org

my guy i no mind ohh
lynxnoon @ yahoo dot com
wil hola u sha
Cheers

(1) (Reply)

The Next Generation Computer (tech Geeks Only) / Please How Do You Use A Phone As Modem In Windows Xp / How Do I Get Back To Browsing With My Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.