Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

I Still Don't Hear Your Voice - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / I Still Don't Hear Your Voice (906 Views)

You Can Hear Me Growing Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Still Don't Hear Your Voice by afroxyz: 5:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
What if it was a male cadet
That slapped a female civilian
Until blooded clotted her nostrils
Only to be told she is a bastard?

What if it was a woman
Who was told that her blood meant nothing
As she was dragged her across the bare floor.
Because she refused the advances of a soldier?

What if it was a girl
That was stripped of her clothes
Made to lie on the bare floor
With her face to the sun?

Yesterday, you would have demanded equality
Today you would have blamed patriarchy
But up until this morning
I still don't hear your voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNYRcpvb1Q

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Still Don't Hear Your Voice by nicholausian(m): 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2016
The last line of this poem made it for me. I feel the poem is simple and beautiful in its simplicity but there is little or no depth to it, not because of its simple wordings but because, it almost reads like a prose.
The constrast between violent military masculity and victimised femininity is however thoughful. Needs more depth, does the poem.

(1) (Reply)

Peace And Melancholy / Pathos Of A Wilting Rose-exerpt / I'll Be Home For Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.