Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

The Origin Of Pidgin English And Its Widespread Popularity - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Pidgin English And Its Widespread Popularity (6781 Views)

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1)

The Origin Of Pidgin English And Its Widespread Popularity by jgobaseki: 5:49am On Jul 06, 2009
Is anyone privy to the origins of pidgin English and why almost everyone in Nigeria and even English speaking West African countries can speak and understand some form of pidgin English?
my guess is the language was perpetuated by Africans who returned to the African shores from the hand of the slave masters in the Americas. to be honest this was not an original thought. i picked it up after reading the book; "A long way gone" by Ishmeal Beah. it been a while since i read the book, but i believe Ishmeal mentioned the Africans who returned called the new language Krio (which is basically pidgin English in Nigeria).

Thanks!
Re: The Origin Of Pidgin English And Its Widespread Popularity by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 06, 2009

(1)

Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is The Best For Any One To Marry / Nigerian Women Vs Somali Women In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.