Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,011 members, 7,956,749 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:09 PM

The Free Fall Of Our Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Free Fall Of Our Naira (365 Views)

Dollar Free Fall Continues, Sells At N425/dollar / Naira On A Free Fall, As Fg Set To Introduce N10,000, N20,000, N50,000 Notes / See How Our Naira Was Destroyed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Free Fall Of Our Naira by demzey(m): 12:53am On Feb 13, 2016
Our forex reserve is currently 28200 USD million as at January which is low as compared to when it was 62081.6 USD million in September 2008, thats why the CBN has reduced the supply of dollar causing its shortage so as to av a favorable Balance of Payment, wich according to the IMF/IBRD a BoP is said to be favorable if it can finance 3 months of its imports.
The motive by the CBN to reduce $ supply is what's causing the free depreciation of the naira to the dollar. Bureau De Change now have to outsource dollars from nearby countries, which now depreciates the naira the more due to the increased cost of getting it. Now one would wonder, why people don't go to the bank to get the dollars at a cheaper rate at #199 for $1 and go get them at BDC's at #325 for $1; lack of confidence in the banking sector and the CBN's policy to retain as much dollar as possible in the CBN's reserves, thereby making commercial bank give their customers excuse. These leaves the customers no choice than to go to the BDC's which now increases the demand for dollars. Now back to the BoP criterion by the IMF, now that our money is depreciated in value, it makes foreign goods dearer to import and as such our BoP might not be favorable though depending on the import quantity.
To remedy this, I feel the CBN has to persuade customers to reduce their dollar usage for some months, which leads to a reduced demand for it. There need to be diversification from oil to other high return prospective sectors. Government should encourage local production of manufactured goods if possible, to increase the purchase of domestic goods, and with all that the naira should start appreciating.

Opened to criticism and corrections.
Re: The Free Fall Of Our Naira by demzey(m): 9:27am On Feb 13, 2016
N I started wondering what spam I said in all I wrote dat got me bsnned

(1) (Reply)

10 Must Read Online Shopping Safety Tips / Rolling Dollar / Gov. Masari Launches Senator Abu Ibrahim Small Scale Business Empowerment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.