Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,200 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards (733 Views)

Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / No More Witches In Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards by govee: 10:51am On Feb 13, 2016
The Itsekiri pple who are located in d southern part of Delta State, share boundaries wit Ijaw, Urhobo, Edo and d Ilaje pple of Ondo state. Her culture is against burying of d dead bodies of witches n wizards.
in itsekiri culture, once a person died, the pple wil consult an oracle to ascertain whether he/she is a wizard or witch. if d oracle says he is wizard he is thrown into d forest for monkeys n other animals to eat, because if a witch is buried in d land it becomes a course to the land n d ground can never produce anything gud until something is done. in fact burying a witch in itsekiri land is an abomination.
on the other hand, if d person is innocent, he is given a befitting burial.
this culture arise frm d covenant their founding father made.

oma iwere bokor?
Re: Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards by Sappyman(m): 11:02am On Feb 13, 2016
I think this is still an old belief. Check the latest belief of the people today, you will see that it has change. I don't think they still go to consult any oracle for such things. I can remember any dead body being thrown into the s called evil forest. Let me ask, assuming the mother of rich man in Itsekiri is a witch, can they thrown her into the forest.
Re: Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards by govee: 11:03am On Feb 13, 2016
comments r welcome
Re: Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards by govee: 11:04am On Feb 13, 2016
comments r welcome .
Re: Itsekiri Do Not Bury Witches N Wizards by govee: 11:10am On Feb 13, 2016
Sappyman:
I think this is still an old belief. Check the latest belief of the people today, you will see that it has change. I don't think they still go to consult any oracle for such things. I can remember any dead body being thrown into the s called evil forest. Let me ask, assuming the mother of rich man in Itsekiri is a witch, can they thrown her into the forest.

rich or poor she wil not b buried in their land except she is taken to other place dat is not an Itsekiri to b buried

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Check Out Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Visit Sultan Of Sokoto / Do We Really Have An Anti Gay Law In Nigeria? / India's Supreme Court Rules Adultery Not A Crime Any More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.