Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese (2111 Views)

Why Are Electric Cars Not Popular In Nigeria? / Car Quiz - Tell Us The Names Of These Cars Using Their Rear Lights / Made-in-nigeria Cars Not Feasible By 2017 – Jalal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 1:30pm On Feb 15, 2016
I have driven cars and I have come to conclusion that most Japanese and Asian cars are basically weird ...though I own one Nissan but I am in love with my Benz

Why do I detest these cars ....they are front wheel cars and do you know why I detest front wheels cars .....

The biggest benefit to rear wheel drive is that it spreads the loads of the car across all four tyres of a car. In a rear wheel drive car the rear wheels do the pushing while the front wheels are reserved for the steering duties. In front wheel drive cars the front tyres must perform both functions. Each front tyre in a front wheel drive car must do two tasks. Both the cornering forces and the engine acceleration/deceleration forces in a front wheel drive car act on the same tyres.
So in a front drive the tyre's capacity can be easily exceeded. In a rear drive car the rear tyres handle the engine acceleration/deceleration while the front only need to handle the steering forces. Not only does this balance the load on the tyres but it reserves the front tyres exclusively for the all important steering work.

Better weight balance: Most rear wheel drive cars have the engine in the front and the drive components in the rear. Front drive cars have everything up front. By properly balancing the front and rear of the car you can improve the handling, acceleration, braking, and thus safety of a car.

Better acceleration: Rear wheel drive cars accelerate faster than a front drive car from a stop. This is because when you accelerate quickly from a stop the weight of the car transfers to the rear of the car. In a rear drive car this places extra weight on the rear of the car, essentially jamming the tyres into the road greatly increasing traction. In a front drive car, when the weight goes to the rear, weight is taken off of the front wheels. This allows the front wheels lose traction and spin easier. If the wheels are spinning not only does this slow you down but it also makes it difficult to steer the car. In the rear drive car the front tyres are available for steering even if the rears have lost traction.

Better Road Holding: The better weight balance of rear wheel drive allows the car to handle better. The more even weight allows the car to drive neutrally through a corner. This means both the front and rear of the car have near equal loads acting upon them.

Better Stopping: Due to the better balance rear drive cars brake better.

No Torque Steer: Front wheel Drive cars have a problem known as Torque Steer. This occurs when the acceleration of the engine effects the cars steering. Since the driveline is connected to the steering wheels the torque of the engine applies force to the front wheels causing the car to pull to the right during acceleration.
Rear Drive cars do not have this problem since the engine is not connected to the steering gear.

Better Ride and Feel: The light front end of the car allows it to "turn in" to a corner easier. The car feels more nimble and controllable. Since the front is not so heavy it is not burdened by needing strong springs to keep it under control. This allows the suspension to be set up softer while maintaining good control ability.

Better Serviceability: Rear wheel drive cars are more rugged, cheaper and easier to fix.
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
There are flaws in your write-up. Yes, in some cases, RWD has advantages over FWD. I'm at work, and posting via an iPhone, so I'll tackle the basics.

Let's start with traction. A RWD car in most cases has LESS traction than a FWD car with similar power. A FWD car has the majority of its weight over its driven wheels, so the tyres will grip better. A RWD exception is when the engine is also at the rear. Have you ever driven a RWD car up a muddy or snowy slope? A Citröen Deu Chevaux with 40hp and its skinny tyres will get to the top of a slippery gradient. A Mercedes-Benz C200 Kompressor with 163hp will struggle.

Torque steer: I would say you don't understand the concept behind this. Torque steer has nothing to do with the drive sharing the same axle as the steering. Torque steer occurs with powerful cars, with UNEQUAL LENGTH drive shafts. Drive shafts are usually hollow. Let's assume the shaft on the left is 4" shorter than that on the right. During full-bore acceleration, drive shafts twist. The shorter shaft twists less, transmitting drive to the left wheel momentarily before the right. This brief unequal drive transmission is what pulls the car to one side, once the initial shock load is gone, drive is equalised, and the car drives straight.

Torque steer also occurs in RWD cars, where the differential is mounted offset - as in not central in the chassis, meaning the driveshafts will NOT be equal in length. With enough torque, torque steer can still occur, and when it does, it's actually more frightening than in a FWD car. It requires more skill to straighten the car out if front and rear start trading position.

It's also worth noting, not all FWD cars make enough torque to make torque steer an issue. Certainly not your average Toyota Corolla.

Better braking in a RWD car? There's no evidence to support that, unless you can prove otherwise. Brakes are brakes, how well they will perform will depend largely on the size of the calipers and discs, servo ratio, tyre width, suspension set-up and the physical weight of the car.

FWD and RWD have different purpose.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by kingreign(m): 4:02pm On Feb 15, 2016
Your 'beefist' theory is rubbished. Drove a lexus ES300 in December last year from Abuja to East. You need to see the smile on my face as it sweeps thru corner and giving me lots of grips and torques to assure me.
Fixed a Honda accord 08 v6 last week, under full throttle loads, VSA cuts power to prevent excess wheel spin and torque steer. Dyamm thone cars maDe me reaffirm my trust in FWD. cool

1 Like

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by 9icetoo(m): 6:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
Except you are on a race track and an avid racer, you have no business comparing a RWD to A FWD just because you can drive from Oshodi to Apapa. For all intents and purposes in our daily grind, a FWD setup will give you all the handling and power you need.
And like Siena pointed out above, they have even better traction is certain situations. Our roads in Nigeria are littered with debris, loose soil and in certain places, muddy. FWD cars will negotiate these sort of roads with better traction than a rear wheel drive since the weight of the engine is pressing down on the driving wheels giving it better grip.

Torque steer is a non issue with the standard corollas and accords we drive here where HP is often below 250 (six cylinders included) How often do we ever get to use up to 120 HP. I've monitored my HP readout from my scanner a few times and logged them and have never ever got the car to use up to 80 HP. So whats torque steer got to do in everyday driving? Even RWD setups have Torque steer as has been pointed out.

Handling is much more than drive configuration. Lots of other things like size, weight distribution, suspension and tire size affect handling. Smaller cars handle better. A Ford focus, mini cooper (old type) or the lotus will hold lines better than most RWD cars and register amazing times and shame a lot of RWD setups in a slalom test which is the epic test for handling.

Better stopping distance? Let me ask the Benz guy who rammed my rear two weeks ago.

1 Like

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 8:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
Sienna is off point I never compared 4x4 cars I made a mention of front wheel drives and rear wheel +axle cars
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 15, 2016
tonychristopher:
Sienna is off point I never compared 4x4 cars I made a mention of front wheel drives and rear wheel +axle cars

Dude, what are you on? Where did I mention you comparing 4x4 vehicles??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 8:53am On Feb 16, 2016
Siena:

Dude, what are you on? Where did I mention you comparing 4x4 vehicles??

Notes bro...but we have to agree that rear drive is better than front drive

Why are rea cars becoming scarce these days
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by kingreign(m): 9:18am On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Notes bro...but we have to agree that rear drive is better than front drive

Why are rea cars becoming scarce these days
No! We MUST NOT agree! angry tongue

1 Like

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 9:35am On Feb 16, 2016
kingreign:

No! We MUST NOT agree! angry tongue

Lol

We must disagree to agree ..in all drives 4matics or 4x4 is the best then followed by rear wheel ...front wheel is whack
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by kingreign(m): 10:27am On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Lol

We must disagree to agree ..in all drives 4matics or 4x4 is the best then followed by rear wheel ...front wheel is whack

Drive a Cooper mini S then come tell me your experience again.
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Danfuster(m): 10:48am On Feb 16, 2016
You both are right @tonychristopher and @siena. I don't see any reason why RWD should be overhyped not unless you're wanting to do some Ken Block gymkana shii which you don't have the balls for, more so RWD are way more expensive to manufacture considering the cost of production which is why they're slightly going into extinction. Both drive train do have their pros and cons, the RWD handles better around corners as you said and in a case of oversteer you can easily keep the car in line by countersteering... Still you need some higher level of skill and bonding with your car to pull this off, mind you an oversteer in a FWD is straight A accident hence you have to throttle up to straighten the car which you'd need more asphalt for. Like Siena said... FWD perform better in slippery environment. All in all... It all boils down to choices.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Danfuster(m): 10:56am On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Lol

I simply don't see why you need 4x4 on an asphalt road... You need it more when your doing off roads, 4x4 on asphalt is simply over engineering. There's a reason elite jeeps and SUVs have separate gears for that.
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 16, 2016
Danfuster:

I simply don't see why you need 4x4 on an asphalt road... You need it more when your doing off roads, 4x4 on asphalt is simply over engineering. There's a reason elite jeeps and SUVs have separate gears for that.

Not strictly correct.

You only need switchable AWD on tarmac, IF the vehicle lacks a centre differential. The majority of modern SUV's have dispensed with a separate transfer case, and run a centre differential instead.

Switchable 4x4 is very different to permanent AWD. Permanent AWD is performance-oriented, a clunky switchable 4WD is NOT. Permanent AWD is not only beneficial for off-road duties, it allows a great deal of power to be laid down, and also increases lateral grip.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Danfuster(m): 3:50pm On Feb 16, 2016
Siena:

Not strictly correct.

You only need switchable AWD on tarmac, IF the vehicle lacks a centre differential. The majority of modern SUV's have dispensed with a separate transfer case, and run a centre differential instead.

Switchable 4x4 is very different to permanent AWD. Permanent AWD is performance-oriented, a clunky switchable 4WD is NOT. Permanent AWD is not only beneficial for off-road duties, it allows a great deal of power to be laid down, and also increases lateral grip.

And more power mean more...
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 4:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
kingreign:

Drive a Cooper mini S then come tell me your experience again.

Is Cooper a 4x4 ? I think it's a rear drive
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by kingreign(m): 6:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Is Cooper a 4x4 ? I think it's a rear drive
its a FWD and its what you'll call epic

1 Like

Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
kingreign:

its a FWD and its what you'll call epic

Does it come with auxiliary gear ?
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by kingreign(m): 8:05pm On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Does it come with auxiliary gear ?

I thought we were talking about fwd vs rwd?
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by Originalsly: 10:33pm On Feb 16, 2016
tonychristopher:

Better acceleration: Rear wheel drive cars accelerate faster than a front drive car from a stop. This is because when you accelerate quickly from a stop the weight of the car transfers to the rear of the car. In a rear drive car this places extra weight on the rear of the car, essentially jamming the tyres into the road greatly increasing traction. .
Not a car guy...but I'll take you up on this point. Are you saying the weight on the back wheels in acceleration from stop would be greater than the weight on the front wheels?... in a car with front mounted engine? Have you ever seen a car with the engine taken out?... that should give you an idea of its weight and would nullify the point you made in this s section.
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by tonychristopher: 7:07am On Feb 17, 2016
Originalsly:
Not a car guy...but I'll take you up on this point. Are you saying the weight on the back wheels in acceleration from stop would be greater than the weight on the front wheels?... in a car with front mounted engine? Have you ever seen a car with the engine taken out?... that should give you an idea of its weight and would nullify the point you made in this s section.

Oga it is simple mechnics... The axle balances the weight of the car unlike front wheel where the whole weight of the car is on...the engine puts pressure but in back wheel the weigh is distributed

The engine acts as an engine
The rear acts as a propeller

Did you see the balance and weight distribution and this makes the car more balanced
Re: Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese by JkShams(m): 8:57am On Feb 17, 2016
Danfuster:

. Sorry pls share more on BMW.

(1) (Reply)

Is Mazda 3 2008 Model Good For Uber? / My Toyota Camry Issues / Top 5 Reasons Your Car Is Vibrating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.