Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made (1555 Views)

See The Hermès Birkin’s Handbag That Broke Record & Sold For N119m At An Auction / How To Spot An Original Hermes Birkin Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by Smoke2015: 2:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made And What Makes It Special(Photo Story)

A couple of years ago, when I first learnt about the Birkin bag by French luxury brand Hermès, I saw a popular Nigerian actress carrying a black one and sent the photo to my friend who immediately told me it was a fake. How she knew? she owned one herself and could spot a fake from afar. She also told me then of how cumbersome it was to get one, even if you could afford it.

Hermès is one of the most recognisable brands around the world and its bags are seen as huge investments. Simply getting your hands on a Hermès bag requires being placed on a waiting list for several years.

However, for the elite and famous, Hermès makes an exception. Numerous celebrities have been spotted carrying The Birkin and Kelly(the two most popular bags from the brand) bags all over the world.

Celebrities like the Kardashians, Jlo and of course the Birkin Queen herself Victoria Beckham have made the bags very popular, making it one of the most copied designer bags worldwide. By now I'm sure some of you can guess why I'm blogging about the bag which has suddenly become very popular on the Nigerian Blogosphere.

For those who don't know, a recent debate about fake vs original Birkins inspired this article. For me I am not out to castigate anyone, even though I have very strong opinions about the debate. However that is not what this post is about. Instead, this post seeks to answer the million dollar questions: Why is the Birkin bag so special/expensive? Why is it one of the most coveted bags in the world? Why is there a waiting list even when you can afford one?

I did a little research on it and using photos. I will take you through why the Birkin is so special. After reading, then you can judge if you think it's worth the price tag/hype or not.

The Story Behind The Iconic Birkin BAG

English actress and singer Jane Birkin once sat next to Hermès chief executive Jean-Louis Dumas on a flight from Paris to London in 1981.
She was putting her straw bag in the overhead compartment when the contents fell on to the floor.
She told Mr Dumas that she could not find a leather bag that she liked, so he had one personally made for her.
The bag is now a symbol of uber wealth , with some types of Birkin selling for over $200,000.

How The Worlds Most Coveted Handbag Is Made

The 2011 documentary "Hearts and Crafts," directed by documentary filmmaker Frederic Laffont, depicts daily life inside a Hermès factory in France where bags, glass goods, drawings, and leather saddles for horseback riding are crafted.

In a month, the Hermès staff can produce 15 hand-crafted bags of different styles and textures. The bags range from $10,000 to over $200,000 depending on the size and material used. Since, the company said it was hiring 500 people to keep up with demand.

Because the Birkin takes long to produce, there was at one time a6 year wait list for the popular bag.

So how, exactly, are Hermès' bags made? See some photos below:

Please see photos here:http://mojidelano.com/2016/02/a-bag-worth-more-than-gold-how-the-iconic-hermes-birkin-bag-is-made-and-what-makes-it-specialphoto-story/

Price Tag

New Birkins range in price from $12,000 to $223,000 and regularly sell on the secondary market for more than their original sales price. But some say these bags are more than just status symbols for the uber rich.

The bags are repairable for life, and because of their quality, could likely be passed down as an heirloom. “There’s more that goes into that price than just paying for the Hermès name,” said Marissa N. Stempien, the fashion editor of JustLuxe.com. “The Birkin is an extraordinarily well made bag. Each one is handmade by trained craftsmen and can take over 18 hours to make, and that number can be doubled if working on exceptional pieces such as those accessorized with diamonds.”

Bag Worth Investing In More Than Gold?

Many have called buying a Birkin bag wasteful spending but this notion is very far from the truth.

In fact, if you are looking to put all your investments in one Birkin, it will ultimately be more profitable than gold.

A recent study by US luxury consignment site Bag Hunter found that year-on-year, the Birkin has increased in value by an average of 14.2% since its was first created in 1984.

Looking back over a 35-year period, the report measured the value of the Birkin against gold and US stock market S&P 500. While the latter two saw negative annual returns, with gold dropping to -7.9% and investments dipping as low as -36.55%, the Birkin's lowest annual return was 2.1% in 1986.

Basically, this means the bold Birkin has never had a bad year. Its real heyday was in 2001 when the bags increased in value by 25% but 2015 was the real record-breaking year when a pink crocodile-skin Hermes Birkin sold for $223,000 (£155,000, €204,000) at auction, the highest price for a single bag to date.

How does one bag hold so much power in the market, though? Perhaps it is the waiting list that Hermes implemented, meaning someone could wait up to six years for an order.

Bag Hunter has suggested this long wait has added to the increase in resale values of Birkin bags, with second-hand models often selling for more than their original price. After all, many would rather pay more than wait.

World Record Breaking Bag(Photo on the Blog)

Last June, a Birkin handbag sold at a Christie’s auction in Hong Kong for $223,000, breaking a world record for handbags sold at auction. That record-setting handbag is the pink crocodile-skin Hermès Birkin with gold and diamond hardware pictured above . Topping the lists of couture with the highest resale value, it’s always Birkin bags.

The Queen Of Birkin

While many celebs own a Hermès bag or two, very few of them can compete with Victoria Beckham’s Hermès collection.

The ex Spice girl is described as the 'Birkin Queen' for owning the most elaborate Birkin collection in the world said to be worth over $2million.

The British fashion designer is said to own over 100 bags by the brand ranging from exotic crocodile skins and luxurious ostrich. In fact her Ostrich leather Birkin pictured below in pink is one of her more expensive Hermès bags worth over $150,000. See the photos on the blog.

Now you know why the Birkin bag is so special and coveted. Against this backdrop will you get one if you were super rich? Do you think its worth the hype? Let me know what you think, do leave your comments.

http://mojidelano.com/2016/02/a-bag-worth-more-than-gold-how-the-iconic-hermes-birkin-bag-is-made-and-what-makes-it-specialphoto-story/

lalasticlala seun Obinoscopy mynd44 ijebabe airforce1 tosyne2much fynestboi

1 Like

Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by fargo(m): 2:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
It is still a bag, not a visa to heaven, or is it?
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by INTROVERT(f): 2:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
Linda's own is fake
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by ishiamu(m): 2:38pm On Feb 18, 2016
INTROVERT:
Linda's own is fake

How do you know? Why you jealous?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by dazzlingd(m): 2:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
what a world, a sad race of humanity... where the sons of men derive pleasure in separating one another into classes and calibres of vanity..The thirst, battle and investment to gain superiority and class over fellow humans.
If such energy had been invested with love and unity to see jst one poor and hungry soul smile,
the world would ve been a better place

1 Like

Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by Adaowerri111: 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
Wastage
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
Hmm. I'm speechless
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by OneManLegion(m): 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
After reading the cumbersome processes involved in making Birkin Bags, do I now think they're worth the hype?

NO.

2 Likes

Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by deathmen12: 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
Sugar how far na! Lng time
Adaowerri111:
Wastage
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by ceejay80s(m): 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
INTROVERT:
Linda's own is fake
Swear say ur pant no be okirika ?
Re: A Bag Worth More Than Gold: How The Iconic Hermès Birkin Bag Is Made by Houseofglam7(f): 7:44am On Feb 19, 2016
This bag matter don tire me abeg!

(1) (Reply)

He’s 86 But He Dresses Like He’s 26. Meet One Of The World’s Oldest Stylish Men! / CHRISTMAS BONANZA / Top 10 Best Natural Lightening Lotion In Nigeria For Fair Skintone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.