Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria (1509 Views)

8 Nigerian Pidgin Words That You Probably Did Not Know Are Proper English Words / Hehe! Check Out The 7 Insultsyoruba Mothers Use That Will Reset Your Brain Sharp / Popular Slangs Invented From Jenifa's Diary That Nigerians Has Adopted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by IamJose(m): 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on
the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my
assertion, till they manage to invent a popular
version of English like we did (Pidgin English),
they can keep on doubting.
Although there are many awesome things
Nigerians do, we do have some face palm
moments. Don’t laugh too hard at the five words
Nigerians use that doesn’t exist in the English
dictionary:

-Installmentally
This doesn’t exist anywhere else except only in
Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search
“Installmentally” on google and watch only
Nigerian sites pop up.

-Night-Vigil
This is another one I don’t understand. Does
anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

-Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female
body part. When Nigerians say this word, they
mean “cunning”. How is that for a giant leap
forward?

-Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be
extremely difficult because even health
professionals and newsmen use this absurd
word that doesn’t exist.

-Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European
custom of watching over a corpse till it’s buried
(called a wake) theirs, they have actually
renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as
“wake keep” or even “wake keeping”.

Add yours
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by Iamlordgee(m): 9:31pm On Feb 18, 2016
I da come
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by vault(m): 9:33pm On Feb 18, 2016
disvirgin and wake keeping got me shocked
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by datola: 9:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
Off head. It should be off hand.

On the long run or at the long run- are wrong
It should be: in the long run

Scratch your brain. It should be : rack your brain.

Warm the food/car is wrong. Heat the food

Meet pie is more of Nigerian set up. Mince pie

Garage(where buses load). It should be motor pack. Garage is a small house/shed where vehicles are packed.

From the onset- wrong. Should be from the outset.

Round up (to end)- wrong. It should be round off. Round up means other thing(s).

Wishing you... in advance/areas- wrong. In advance or areas should not be added.

Stand on your feet wrong- wrong. Stand to your feet.

This is my first time of hearing/seeing this- wrong. This is the first time I have heard/seen this- correct.

1 Like

Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by Igbogirlgate(f): 9:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
We can still add news words to.dictionary
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by Abduljohn(m): 9:57pm On Feb 18, 2016
Could this be true? this caught me :DCould this be true? this caught me
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by IamJose(m): 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
Beer parlor- funny tho but the actual word should have been a 'Bar'..so guys please take note.
Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by Donald3d(m): 10:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
Are you hearing me,i am hearing you (90% are guilty),hehehehehehe, it should be,can you hear me,and i can hear you,i am coming(when you are going somewhere),it should be,i will be right back or i will be back soon. OP i disagree with you-disvirgin is used by some other people apart from nigerians(but i know the word is incorrect),every other word on your list has being a hit back to back by Nigerians. *winks*

2 Likes

Re: Words That Nigerians Use That Does'nt Exist Any Where But Only In Nigeria by bigkahuna704(m): 10:48am On Feb 20, 2016
skibo

(1) (Reply)

When Your Agric Teacher Is Celebrating Her Birthday(pic) / Download Mark Angel Comedy – Longer Throat (episode 101) / Green, White, Green, Yeah? One Word For This Dude, People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.