Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage (4929 Views)

My Temperature Guage Doesn't Get To The Middle !!! / Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 10:53am On Feb 19, 2016
I was driving from ijoko to my office at berger this morning when I got to alakuko I discover that the engine oil indicator was showing o. my dashboard then I quickly park at a filling station to see what was happening.

I gauge my engine and it was gauge but to satisfy my mind I have to buy another mobile oil to top the oil because I was in hurry to meet a client before 8am.

I started the engine and the light did not show again then I was convinced that the oil was short but after 10mins of driving along abule egba the light shows again and packed it thinking there was leakage . but there was no sign of leakage when I checked . I called my mechanic till now his number is switch off. then I called a driving at roadside who told me that the indicator light is malfunctioning .

I drove the car to Berger like that but its still baffle me

pls Nairalanders what could have happened to the car and can drive it back home cause damages to the engine ?

I will appreciate your responses on this .help a brother
The car is Nissan Quest 2000 model
Gazuzz your number is not available , sienna and others I need your help too.
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by majamajic(m): 11:02am On Feb 19, 2016
its like u changed the oil ealier before the next service date set from from the last service date.

just go to a service centre and reset to next service date it will stop, meanwhile no harm to your engine. but it makes someone uncomfortable seeing the oil indicator.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by iamSi(m): 11:12am On Feb 19, 2016
Your engine is PERFECT, its just the Oil switch that got bad ... You can drive to where ever but find your rewire/technician to fix it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by billy187(m): 11:15am On Feb 19, 2016
Wait guys....can't this mean a bad oil pump? Op is the light you are refering to the change oil light or check oil light?

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:41am On Feb 19, 2016
moscobabs:
I was driving from ijoko to my office at berger this morning when I got to alakuko I discover that the engine oil indicator was showing o. my dashboard then I quickly park at a filling station to see what was happening.

I gauge my engine and it was gauge but to satisfy my mind I have to buy another mobile oil to top the oil because I was in hurry to meet a client before 8am.

I started the engine and the light did not show again then I was convinced that the oil was short but after 10mins of driving along abule egba the light shows again and packed it thinking there was leakage . but there was no sign of leakage when I checked . I called my mechanic till now his number is switch off. then I called a driving at roadside who told me that the indicator light is malfunctioning .

pls Nairalanders what could have happened to the car and can drive it back home cause damages to the engine ?

oil light indicator on, is a signal for low oil pressure. Although a faulty oil switch can cause same symptoms, it should be verified.

Other causes of the oil light indicator being illuminated are, faulty oil pump, worn out crankshaft bearings, blocked strainer, blocked oil filter, dented oil pan, poor oil viscosity.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

oil light indicator on, is a signal for low oil pressure. Although a faulty oil switch can cause same symptoms, it should be verified.

Other causes of the oil light indicator being illuminated are, faulty oil pump, worn out crankshaft bearings, blocked strainer, blocked oil filter, dented oil pan, poor oil viscosity.

that's my guru thank u very Much sir. but can I still drive it home without bin fixed since my oil gauge is even over as at present?
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 12:38pm On Feb 19, 2016
billy187:
Wait guys....can't this mean a bad oil pump? Op is the light you are refering to the change oil light or check oil light?
sir I don't know the diff in this the 2 lights
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 19, 2016
moscobabs:

sir I don't know the diff in this the 2 lights

If you don't know the difference, then I'm really concerned. Doesn't your car have a manual?

The warning light does NOT indicate oil level, it indicates oil pressure. If the oil pressure is below the minimum the engine needs to operate, it will still remain low even if the oil level is a litre above the maximum mark on the dipstick.

It could be a bad oil pressure switch, bad pump, blocked oil pick-up strainer, incorrect grade of oil, low oil pressure due to worn crankshaft main bearings, or even bad wiring. Until you know, you should NOT drive the car, even for short distances, the engine will certainly seize up if the oil pressure is actually low. That light is there for s reason. Get your car towed / recovered to a shop, where it can be checked out.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
Siena:

If you don't know the difference, then I'm really concerned. Doesn't your car have a manual?

The warning light does NOT indicate oil level, it indicates oil pressure. If the oil pressure is below the minimum the engine needs to operate, it will still remain low even if the oil level is a litre above the maximum mark on the dipstick.

It could be a bad oil pressure switch, bad pump, blocked oil pick-up strainer, incorrect grade of oil, low oil pressure due to worn crankshaft main bearings, or even bad wiring. Until you know, you should NOT drive the car, even for short distances, the engine will certainly seize up if the oil pressure is actually low. That light is there for s reason. Get your car towed / recovered to a shop, where it can be checked out.

Thanks Siena . the oil level is even above the gauge presently because I top it with 4 litres when I first saw the warning light.

I have drove it back home now though the light is still coming up but not steady. anyway it might be any of other points you mentioned earlier . I will diagnose it tomorrow .thanks very much sir
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by mayor2013: 8:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
moscobabs:

Thanks Siena . the oil level is even above the gauge presently because I top it with 4 litres when I first saw the warning light.

I have drove it back home now though the light is still coming up but not steady. anyway it might be any of other points you mentioned earlier . I will diagnose it tomorrow .thanks very much sir

From your topping up of oil it means your engine is shorting out oil. Could be a leak some where you need to check well. If oil shortens then this is to say that the oil indicator lamp would come up, I would want to start trouble shooting by inspecting for oil leaks
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Emekasmart(m): 6:33am On Feb 20, 2016
If the oil is over gauged,den leak some of it away and see wat happens. It happened to me once wen i over gauged d oil level,i leaked some of it and den d oil warning light just disappeared.. Just try it. If it doesnt work,tell ur mechanic to loose ur sump and check d oil pan or wat ever its called and see if d net is blocked wit oil sludge.. Thank me later..
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Kashif(m): 7:49am On Feb 20, 2016
Experienced peeps here (and documentation) all point to the fact you are having low oil pressure. Filling the oil to the valves won't change a thing. Another risk even arises from the overfill.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 8:33am On Feb 20, 2016
Kashif:
Experienced peeps here (and documentation) all point to the fact you are having low oil pressure. Filling the oil to the valves won't change a thing. Another risk even arises from the overfill.
thanks what could have caused the low oil pressure and what do I have to fix In the engine?
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by femicousim: 10:13pm On Feb 20, 2016
it could also be an OCV (oil control valve), if equipped, amongst other things already mentioned

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
moscobabs:

Wait - you had to top up your oil by 4 litres?? How much oil does your car take in total? You've topped up by almost a gallon. shocked

As I stated earlier, the oil warning does NOT indicate oil level. I bet you've got almost twice the oil capacity in that poor engine. You should NOT be driving your car in its current state.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by hardbody: 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Gazzuz this is exactly what has parked me on the road this morning as per our discussion and your fellows have virtually turned my car upside down.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by chanx: 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I just learnt a thing or two from you now.
Thanks boss.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
hardbody:

Gazzuz this is exactly what has parked me on the road this morning as per our discussion and your fellows have virtually turned my car upside down.
bro can u see why we need this type of topic on front page of naira land . Gazuzz and others have helped most of us solve some thousands of naira problems on our cars . what u see on the so called front page is Olajumoke stands out, davido baby mama in pictures and other irrelevant issues.
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:39am On Feb 23, 2016
moscobabs:

Sebi u 1st dey form aje here for nairaland,dey ask weda 2 drive am,but wen guyman hear oga Sienna say "TOW" u quickly shout blood of Jesus enta ur car drive am home cum begin update us on after u don reach aws.D Bolded tells me so.lol tow ke

Anyway most problems of cars do not just arise suddenly,except for some unreliable brands which I dunno if Quest falls in that category.
Otherwise,check urself if ur swamp hit anything lately and got dented,try another oil pump,which is why Sienna advised towing as if it fails to pump to necessary places,it might knock D engine.obviously ur oil sensor is good and not partial contact.
But topping up 4 litres when its meant tobe guaged and no leakage,so where D4 littres enta,abi ur engine can take up to 8 or 10ltrs
Sienna must have mistaken 9ja system to UK'suggesting the tow.no body dey rescue 4 here oh,f u dare call AA for here penren,wen dem give u bill u go begin ask urself why u ever get dem nos sef.
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 7:17am On Feb 23, 2016
BOUNTYDOG:

Sebi u 1st dey form aje here for nairaland,dey ask weda 2 drive am,but wen guyman hear oga Sienna say "TOW" u quickly shout blood of Jesus enta ur car drive am home cum begin update us on after u don reach aws.D Bolded tells me so.lol tow ke

Anyway most problems of cars do not just arise suddenly,except for some unreliable brands which I dunno if Quest falls in that category.
Otherwise,check urself if ur swamp hit anything lately and got dented,try another oil pump,which is why Sienna advised towing as if it fails to pump to necessary places,it might knock D engine.obviously ur oil sensor is good and not partial contact.
But topping up 4 litres when its meant tobe guaged and no leakage,so where D4 littres enta,abi ur engine can take up to 8 or 10ltrs
Sienna must have mistaken 9ja system to UK'suggesting the tow.no body dey rescue 4 here oh,f u dare call AA for here penren,wen dem give u bill u go begin ask urself why u ever get dem nos sef.
bro u funny o. I just dey laugh . u get me baje when I heard the word TOW 2ltrs if blood just dry from my vain .

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 23, 2016
Guys...try comprehending. A tow does NOT necessarily mean using a dedicated recovery firm. I am referring to getting a stricken vehicle towed by a regular car / van. You must have friends who also own cars.

It is also an option to get your car towed by a commercial driver / taxi after negotiating a fee. I have lived in Nigeria, and have friends that still live in Nigeria. I know what DOES work. Still, if you would rather destroy your engine by driving it with low oil pressure, that's your choice.

Good luck.
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by LeJeun3: 10:07am On Feb 23, 2016

Sir you just oil flooded your car!.......

Apart from low oil pressure, driving in that state will give rise to more issues.

Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Originality007: 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
moscobabs:

Pls how did u manage to fix the car, should it has being long u posted this.

Same thing id happening to my Camry 2003 (big daddy). My oil is well gauged, but the oil light keep showing wen am driving especially wen am inside the traffic or I slow down the light will show, but the moment the road is free and firing on a free Road, the light will not show. Don't even no what to do,
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by Dozieson(m): 3:43pm On Dec 17, 2023
Originality007:

Same thing id happening to my Camry 2003 (big daddy). My oil is well gauged, but the oil light keep showing wen am driving especially wen am inside the traffic or I slow down the light will show, but the moment the road is free and firing on a free Road, the light will not show. Don't even no what to do,

Check my response on the other thread
Re: Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage by moscobabs(m): 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2023
Originality007:

Take it to your rewire

(1) (Reply)

Which of These Automobile Interiors Would You Pick? / I Found This On Jiji Today!!(photos) / New Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.