Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? (774 Views)

What Has Christianity Done To Islam? / Why Has Christianity Failed Among The Jews? / Has Christianity And Islam Failed Us? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by huxley2(m): 9:21am On Jul 10, 2009
How has believing in God and being a Christian improved you as a person. Do you think you could not have attained such improvements with[b]out[/b] God?
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by huxley2(m): 11:01am On Jul 10, 2009
what is happening to this thread?
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by muhsin(m): 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2009
huxley2:

what is happening to this thread?

Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by budaatum: 5:00pm On Jul 10, 2009
huxley2:

How has believing in God and being a Christian improved you as a person. Do you think you could not have attained such improvements with God?
Never saw the thread, I guess. Now that I have, here we go, though first, my objections to the word "believe"!

I do not believe, nor am I a Christian. By that I mean that I do not consider anything to do with Christ or God, or Mohammed, or Buddha to be a matter to be believed, especially since I could know, which I would rather do. I seek, and seekers do tend to find things out. I say, "why believe when one could know!" (If further elaboration on my stance is required, do ask, I shall elaborate. Or read it here)

Now, to answer your question, which I shall rephrase for convenience and to take into consideration my own perspective, Huxley. (By the way, have you read Brave New World by your namesake?).

How has believing in knowledge of God and being a Christianity improved you as a person.
I decided to acquire knowledge of God through Christianity after 6 month visits to Nigeria from the year 2000 to 2006. I had never quite been a believer in Christ, and by 12, having read the Bible from cover to cover and found that what was written in it and what people claimed was in it did not quite tally, that was it for me. But on these 6 month visits, I found that most people spoke in Christainese (my word to describe the language they use), which I did not understand. So, on return to UK, I began going to school (Church) to learn the language.

I found that though the words were rather unique to Christianity, they had a mystical meaning much deeper than the mere literal. I also found that it had much similarity with Buddhism, which I had been exploring -  Transformation (born again, as the Christian will say); Nirvana - entering the Kingdom of God; The Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path - For God so loved world, and Only through Christ shall one enter the Kingdom of God, etc. I also found similarities between it and my reading of the Koran, specifically that they aimed to make better people of their adherents, though in practise, it too suffers from what turned me away from Christianity.

This understanding allowed me to know where Christians are coming from, and realise that though they might have some concepts that I do not agree with (one is the belief in the existence of a God, though this is more complicated than that), the aim of it is to make the mere mortal (made of mud), into Gods (John 10:34).

Do you think you could not have attained such improvements with God?
Yes I could, though I would have remained ignorant about Christianity, Jesus, and God if I had not explored Christianity itself.  It is a knowledge thing. As Christ said to me:

"Hear, O Buda, the LORD God, the LORD is one. And you shall know the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2012:28-34%20;&version=50;]The First Commandment of All[/url]

I claim that the acquisition of that knowledge has made me a better person, Huxley.
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by bawomolo(m): 7:04pm On Jul 10, 2009
nice post buda.

i recognize that name from the NIA forums.
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by folami86: 12:40am On Jul 11, 2009
Yes because God helps those who help themselves
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by budaatum: 5:42pm On Jul 11, 2009
bawomolo:

nice post buda.

i recognize that name from the NIA forums.
Hey thanks bawomolo. Do you post on NIA?
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by bawomolo(m): 1:06am On Jul 13, 2009
buda atum:

Hey thanks bawomolo. Do you post on NIA?

not at all. I just lurk through the forum from time to time. especially the religious section.
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by fyneguy: 1:56am On Jul 13, 2009
Christianity doesnt improve you. It makes a new life available to you.
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by Tudor6(f): 2:49am On Jul 13, 2009
bawomolo:

not at all. I just lurk through the forum from time to time. especially the religious section.
bawomolo what's NIA?
Can i have the website adress please?
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by yommyuk: 5:54am On Jul 13, 2009
It does more than improve. It transforms you and gives u a new life.
It gives u spiritual insight concerning the foolishness of this world.
The road to Hell is wide and board. It has been prepared for the unbelievers to go and burn.
This creates the fear of God in me which is a good thing because the fear of God is the begining of Wisdom.
In Christainity the weapons of our warfare is Mighty through God.
We lead a prayerful life to change the unchangeable. Bringing out those in the dark to the light.

Hey Mr Poster - Christainity is choosing life over death.
r u a christain? if not, u better get ready because it will surely rain. But not by water, by Fire wink
Re: Has Christianity Improved You As A Person? by budaatum: 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2009
bawomolo:

A lurker. You must have read quite a lot of my writings if you visit the religious section of NIA!  Is an honour to meet you.

Tudór:

bawomolo what's NIA?
Can i have the website adress please?
Tudor, we are down for maintenance at the moment. Our NIA Lord Zadok takes his time with these thing, but we'd hopefully be up by the end of the week.

(1) (Reply)

House Hold Of Love Church Invites You To Service (miracles Are Forever) / Miracle? / Muhammad In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.