Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! (935 Views)

Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose / Which Of These Statements Gave You Great Joy When You Were A Student / High Quality Personal Statements For Foreign University Master's Applications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Pheals(f): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
piece of mind :this should be "peace" of mind ,meaning calmness and tranquility the expression "piece of mind " actually would suggest doling out section of brain :: mind the spelling

I'll give you a ring tonight : "give you a ring" actually it's not a ring .... Don't tell a nigeria gal who have been looking for husband for past years this , just tell her ' i will call you simple or else prepare to get a ring for her
I would like to pick your brain : this happen to me doing my last days at school ' I would like to pick your brain tosin meet me in the lab' the teacher said, I was like " experiment with my brain" I later figure out he need more info about what am saying
kill the light : it is the same as off the light ,someone argued this with me that there is nothing like "kill the light" don't know what to say
a school of fish : in terms of uncountables noun it correct but a teacher marks this wrong for a student i taught (note fish is always in plural form, fishes refer to diffrent species ) same thing "an army of frog "
cheater: I said this in public and I was .... It pains the guy said cheetah was an animal but believe me cheater exit " someone who cheat" it's not the same

hair piece/ear piece not the same just mind the spelling
birds of a feather flock together: teachers kept saying " birds of the same feathers flock together" I try to correct a student but he said "that's what my teachers taught me"

now for kids if you are a teacher mind this ! Schools are not the same so let stop ....this

Jingle ova epo motor : it is jingle over like a motor

Sanda li li : it is standard living ,standard living

O singo singo praise the lord : it's oh ! Sing my soul praise the lord

Let get educated pls lalasticlala help

You can add yours
Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by DjAndroid: 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
When a teacher uses wrong grammar to teach the grammar.

I respect your effort.

3 Likes

Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Pheals(f): 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
DjAndroid:
When a teacher uses wrong grammar to teach the grammar.

I respect your effort.
thanx bro
Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by pdppower: 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2016
Op, you also need to check your grammar, especially your use of verbs ( the perfect tense) and punctuation.

2 Likes

Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by tosyne2much(m): 9:42pm On Feb 21, 2016
Nice one dear cool
Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Pheals(f): 11:26pm On Feb 21, 2016
pdppower:
Op, you also need to check your grammar, especially your use of verbs ( the perfect tense) and punctuation.
I don't base on that here bro ... Am not good in typing .@least u understand what am trying to pass across
Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by pdppower: 9:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Pheals:
I don't base on that here bro ... Am not good in typing .@least u understand what am trying to pass across
I understand your point quite vividly. But I still have to correct you. It is 'I am' and not 'am'. I hope you are not annoyed.

2 Likes

Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Pheals(f): 11:37am On Feb 22, 2016
pdppower:
I understand your point quite vividly. But I still have to correct you. It is 'I am' and not 'am'. I hope you are not annoyed.
y should i ? I love correction if I didn't take correction ... Am ignorance then
Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
pdppower:

I guess u just gave up after this:

Pheals:
y should i ? I love correction if I didn't take correction ... Am ignorance then

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by opeaceo: 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Pheals:

What

Haaa, you need to state a source for your write up ooo

1 Like

Re: The Misused English Statements(must Read)!!! by Welcomme: 9:02am On Feb 27, 2016
Op, u sef just dey gbaguan...

(1) (Reply)

Unimaid 2016/2017 Nysc Batch B Pre-mobilization List (regular & Cdl) Out / Aesthetics And National Development - Term Paper / Having Sex With Pupils Makes Me Feel Good-school Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.