Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' (967 Views)

Invest In My Polyethylene Manufacturing Company, We Can't Meet Demand Anymore! / EFCC To House Of REP " We Can't Stop MMM " / Are Nigerian Banks The Reason We Can't Receive Money Via Paypal? Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 12:15am On Feb 22, 2016
First, be clear about this- Nigeria cannot feed herself. To achieve this will take at least 3 years' budget focused solely on agric.
Unless...
But that comes later.

Let's start with Saudi- what do they produce compared to Nigeria? What do they import compared to us?

Let's go to crude- how much does it cost us to produce a barrel compared to Saudi? How much to produce a litre of petrol?

What are the differences you've discovered so far?

Now to local products-
How long does it take to grow catch crops in commercial quantities?

How long does it take to do same for cash crops?

After harvest, where does the farmer store the produce? Good transport links to markets? Ease of Pest control, or irrigation, or mere weeding?
What of all those vegetables we heard were rotting in the north? Should he invest in cooling units? And if he does, how will he guarantee power supply?
These are the most basic questions concerning the agric sector. And yes, with a few differences this also applies to fisheries and animal farming.

You see why most agro exports are mainly of raw unprocessed foods?

Textiles should be easy to see- how many of the needed chemicals are produced here? Machines, training, fabric precursors- cotton, rayon, polyester, threads, parts, etc?

Ajaokuta? Oil palm? Rubber? Paper? Wood? Coal? Tin? Bitumen? Aluminum? Delta steel?

There is absolutely no local production that can occur on an industrial scale without massive, focused, long-term govt intervention- through policies, funding, extremely low interest rates, protection from lobbyists, infrastructure, power, land, training, ancillary industries like maintenance, parts and upgrades, research, forceful support of local industries in international trade agreements, tax holidays...

And so forth.
Yet, we haven't factored in forex and our rogue banks.

So. Tell me again about buying local products.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by emorse(m): 12:48am On Feb 22, 2016
In other words, you have chosen to see the half empty glass. Not the way to go bro.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Pavore9: 5:57am On Feb 22, 2016
Just as emorse posted, you chose to see a half empty glass. Achieving self sufficiency to an extent is no rocket science. lt will take an investor less than a year to set up a dairy farm that produces 15,000 litres of milk daily if the will is there.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 9:29am On Feb 22, 2016
emorse:
In other words, you have chosen to see the half empty glass. Not the way to go bro.

You have missed the point.

Right now I'm listening to nigeria info's panelists backing everything I wrote. They've expounded on even more issues that I didn't want to raise for lack of concrete evidence.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 9:37am On Feb 22, 2016
Pavore9:
Just as emorse posted, you chose to see a half empty glass. Achieving self sufficiency to an extent is no rocket science. lt will take an investor less than a year to set up a dairy farm that produces 15,000 litres of milk daily if the will is there.

He will immediately go bankrupt unless his sole clients are govt and the super rich.

Again, the issues that prevent the AVERAGE NIGERIAN from processing and manufacturing are what need tackling.

I listed the problems so that we all know what to focus our energies to solve.

Wishes and positive- but ambiguous- thinking never built a nation. Problem solving did and always will be the right way to go- so long as you know what they are first.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 9:55am On Feb 22, 2016
lalasticlala, mynd44, obinoscopy.

Do we discuss how to solve these problems or maintain our emotional response of 'buy 9ja'?
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Pavore9: 10:13am On Feb 22, 2016
@aloeman15, there are so many options open to a dairy farmer producing that quantity, he can pastuerized it & sell thru a dispensing machine or packaged in 50cl packs like that of pure water. lt can b processed to cheese. So l stand by my assertion.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 10:22am On Feb 22, 2016
Pavore9:
@aloeman15, there are so many options open to a dairy farmer producing that quantity, he can pastuerized it & sell thru a dispensing machine or packaged in 50cl packs like that of pure water. lt can be processed to cheese. So l stand by assertion.

Imports will be much cheaper. I learnt from the radio program that duties and levies paid by a manufacturer who's bringing in raw materials come to abt 25%. This is before he provides his own water, power, transportation, staff training, insurance, loan repayments, land use and other charges, and myriad other taxes. Finished goods from china pay 5%.

So I say again, he'll go bankrupt.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Pavore9: 10:40am On Feb 22, 2016
l live in kenya & when it comes to fresh milk, l know much. Why do you think the milk company owned by the Kenya's President family wants to have a presence in Nigeria? lt costs a good Kenyan dairy farmer about N42 to produce a litre of raw milk!
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by aloeman15(m): 10:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Pavore9:
l live in kenya & when it comes to fresh milk l know much. Why do you think the milk company owned by the Kenya's President family wants to have a presence in Nigeria? lt costs a Kenyan dairy farmer about N42 to produce a litre of raw milk!

You've buttressed my point. Export costs will make them cheaper than our local milk because of the issues I raised. Besides, how many milk cows are there in nigeria? And do you know how capital-intensive dairy farming is?!
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Pavore9: 10:56am On Feb 22, 2016
You will be shocked to see the local diary farmers in kenya as they are mostly villagers with 2-5 dairy cows, members of their co-operatives daily bring together their production & sell to a processing plant. There are abt 1.8million of such farmers.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Walexz02(m): 11:13pm On Feb 22, 2016
Pple still need to be encouraged to go back to rural areas.. For this to be successful though, social amenities need to be provided.
It is far easier and cheaper practicing agriculture in rural area.
We can always start small and expand the process.. That's the basic.
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Walexz02(m): 11:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
But I don't agree with op's 3 years budget sorely on agriculture before the nation can be fed.. It is not that we lack "producers" in this country, it's importation that is killing their business. Let the ban on goods we can produce in Nigeria persist. You'll see how fast "production" would increase.
Remember when frozen chicken and Turkey was banned. Pple rushed into poultry business and today you can buy a full chicken for as low as 750naira compared to when we buy them for as low as 1500naira.
It is just shear fallacy that we can't meet our chicken consumption demand bla bla bla....
Life chickens and turkeys become surplus during xmas and new year celebrations!!
We need discipline in this country!
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by olakings: 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
Hello peeps, one of our colleague as been selected for best ideas in "global" youth citizens entrepreneurship competition , which is a global competition , but will be needing ur help to move to nxt stage by following dis link https://www.entrepreneurship-campus.org/ideas/4/1934 pls kindly vote and repost
kingjaheed Royal Palm
It is an agricultural innovative business focus mainly on palm oil production and every other resources within it .it is well known that the usage of palm oil cannot be underestimated in these present world, it is widely use in so many sector of production; from the food processing company, pharmace...
entrepreneurship-campus.org
Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by alexmicheal500: 2:13pm On Aug 03, 2020
You need UNPASTEIRIZED FRESH COW MILK directly from the farm? Look no further as we have it in whatever quantity of your choice. If you are interested in processing different products like, cheese, wara, yogurt, ice cream, buttermilk, cream milk etc please WhatsApp MICHAEL @ 08150823710 or CALL 07053717929.
PRICE : 800 Naira/Litre (Well Packaged and air-tight).

Re: Why We Can't Be 'made In Nigeria' by Walexz02(m): 9:37pm On Aug 06, 2020
alexmicheal500:
You need UNPASTEIRIZED FRESH COW MILK directly from the farm? Look no further as we have it in whatever quantity of your choice. If you are interested in processing different products like, cheese, wara, yogurt, ice cream, buttermilk, cream milk etc please WhatsApp MICHAEL @ 08150823710 or CALL 07053717929.
PRICE : 800 Naira/Litre (Well Packaged and air-tight).

Very much interested in these .
Can I get it in Ibadan?

(1) (Reply)

Oil Prices Rise To $39, Beat Budget Benchmark Of $38 / International Online Shopping Mall Like Amazon Opening In Nigeria Very Soon / Binary Options Random Index Traders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.