Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? (1433 Views)

Put An End To Menstrual Cramps / BREAST CANCER: Women Be Mindful Of Bra You Wear..(pictures) / Does Being A Virgin Add To Menstrual Pains? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 1:31am On Feb 22, 2016
As of 1 March, women in Anhui province in east China – who suffer from painful periods and produce a doctors note to say so – will be entitled to up to two days menstrual leave a month. [/b]And while this might sound pretty radical to us, Anhui province isn’t the only, or even first, place to introduce menstrual leave. In fact, it’s already available in at least two other Chinese provinces (and there’s even been talk of making it a country-wide thing) and other Asian countries including Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. But is menstrual leave a good thing? Should it be a universal right for working women?

We debate the pros and cons…

In favour of menstrual leave, multimedia fashion journalist Issey Brunner: ‘Periods are a natural process for all women, but some ladies – like me – get them way worse than others. I spend two days a month feeling like I’ve been punched in the stomach and with crippling cramps in my back and legs so bad I can hardly walk I can tell you, it’s no fun at all. Currently, I don’t call in sick when it’s that time of the month, but to be honest, I’d like to. There’s no doubt that my severe period pains interfere with my daily life, and there are times when I find it hard to focus at work because the pain’s so excruciating.

‘But let’s be clear, this is only for two days a month, and in no way means I’m less well-equipped for the working world in general (which some people would argue), it just means there’s a couple of days a month when it would be best if I was at home. It would be great to know that we lived in a world where employers, occupational health and HR departments were more understanding and genuinely tried to cater for the needs of each individual. Period cramps (known medically as dysmenorrhea) often aren’t taken seriously as a legitimate illness (mainly because they’re seen as a natural part of being a woman), but the pain is real, and not being able to cite severe period pains as the reason you’re calling in sick adds to the burden.

‘Legal menstrual leave would not only be great for women like me on a practical level, but it would also help to break the taboo around periods and help us all speak openly and honestly about our bodies. How can that be a bad thing?’

Against menstrual leave, news editor Siam Goorwich: ‘I’ll be honest, I’m pretty fortunate when it comes to periods. Yes they’re a hassle and a logistical nightmare, but most of the time the pain is nothing that can’t be sorted with a couple of paracetamol and chocolate brownie. Lucky, I know. But that’s not the reason I’m against menstrual leave. I love a duvet day as much as the next person, but I just don’t think menstrual leave is realistic, workable or great for the image of women in the workplace.

‘I hardly ever take sick days (even when I’m a snotty mess and no one wants to sit next to me in the office), and most people I know are the same. Yes we’re entitled to a day off, but in reality no one wants to be seen as being weak or unwilling, so we all soldier on dosed up on cold and flu tabs and stinking of Olbas Oil, and I can’t see how menstrual days will be any different. Then there’s the negative impact that menstrual leave could have on the way women are viewed and treated in their workplace. Obviously anyone discriminating against women who chose to takes menstrual leave would be wrong (or women in general just because they had the right to menstrual leave), but that wouldn’t stop it happening.

‘Severe period pains are awful and the pain and distress they cause shouldn’t be diminished, but I also don’t believe they should be treated any differently than any other chronic illness.’

https://likes.asos.com/31536/should-women-be-entitled-to-menstrual-leave/?affid=14202&channelref=Social+Campaigns&socialref=370702940

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 1:39am On Feb 22, 2016
Okay i saw this somewhere, so what are your views? ladies what do you think? personally am in between, do you think its necessary for just two days?

Can this work in this our country Nigeria?

ladies! what do you think? Guys you are free to contribute... honest opinion
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by Elosky20: 1:47am On Feb 22, 2016
that means the guys can also demand for blue balls leave too.
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 1:48am On Feb 22, 2016
Elosky20:

which one be blue balls
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by Elosky20: 1:50am On Feb 22, 2016
fearlesschicken:

which one be blue balls
haha. just google it.
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 1:55am On Feb 22, 2016
[quote author=Elosky20 post=43138338] haha. just google it.[/
lol...okay
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by baby124: 2:39am On Feb 22, 2016
Elosky20:
If you experience one day of period pains, you will stay in the hospital for a year. Picture 10000 needles stabbing all your soft tissues. That is period pain. Or trying to squeeze out an orange from a needle. This is the feeling when clots are passing through the vagina. Please blue balls can be compared to pre menstrual cramp or ovulation cramp. The people that have bad menstrual cramp will tell you. Imagine passing out from pain?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by KMB: 3:38am On Feb 22, 2016
Good idea as long as men too will get leave for the same period because of the pain of not getting any. (Blue Balls) Equal rights
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by johnydon22(m): 8:24am On Feb 22, 2016
Seriously women should be given period breaks because period cramps are no damn joke, i have witnessed that a lot with bae.

Crazy mood swings, she almost feel like breaking down and cry sometimes.. i spend the better part of the evenings getting junk foods for her, massaging and just holding her which even pisses her off all of a sudden cus of the mood swings grin

seriously the pain is excruciating for the women who have it and i am fully in support of "period breaks" cus i don't see how anybody can focus and work when you feel like your stomach has been rumpled like a piece of paper.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by hahn(m): 8:50am On Feb 24, 2016
I agree in favor of the motion smiley

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by johnydon22(m): 8:55am On Feb 24, 2016
Cc. lalasticlala
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by PresVA: 9:54am On Feb 24, 2016
Not a bad idea ooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Monthly leave noni cheesy

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by PresVA: 9:58am On Feb 24, 2016
KMB:
Good idea as long as men too will get leave for the same period because of the pain of not getting any. (Blue Balls) Equal rights
how can you compare monthly periods with blue balls? How many men do have blue balls? How often even? Many men don't even know what blue balls is..

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by johnydon22(m): 10:18am On Feb 24, 2016
PresVA:
how can you compare monthly periods with blue balls? How many men do have blue balls? How often even? Many men don't even know what blue balls is..
I know i don't.. Please what's blue balls
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by PresVA: 1:13pm On Feb 24, 2016
johnydon22:
I know i don't.. Please what's blue balls
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/q-and-a/a815/blue-balls/

You can search Google for more...
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by KMB: 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2016
PresVA:

Menstruation is only once a month. Blue Balls are just as painful and happens more than once a month. Trust me ALL men know what blue balls are but they may call it a different name. The pain however are similar.

Just like monthly periods are called menses, time of the month, female thing....and so on.
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 1:45am On Mar 03, 2016
johnydon22:
Seriously women should be given period breaks because period cramps are no damn joke, i have witnessed that a lot with bae.

Crazy mood swings, she almost feel like breaking down and cry sometimes.. i spend the better part of the evenings getting junk foods for her, massaging and just holding her which even pisses her off all of a sudden cus of the mood swings grin

seriously the pain is excruciating for the women who have it and i am fully in support of "period breaks" cus i don't see how anybody can focus and work when you feel like your stomach has been rumpled like a piece of paper.

jeez!! shocked You dey try oh hian! Nice guy cheesy

that's serious....i guess am lucky then. grin i know someone who has to go to the clinic to take injections for her pains.

yeah you are right.....

do you think it can be a feasible thing in nigeria?
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by johnydon22(m): 8:01am On Mar 03, 2016
fearlesschicken:

jeez!! shocked You dey try oh hian! Nice guy cheesy

that's serious....i guess am lucky then. grin i know someone who has to go to the clinic to take injections for her pains.

yeah you are right.....

do you think it can be a feasible thing in nigeria?
Nope Nigeria is ruled by irrational old men...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by fearlesschicken: 11:25am On Mar 03, 2016
johnydon22:
Nope Nigeria is ruled by irrational old men...

Oh well, we can only hope...
Re: Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? by IjusDey: 3:18pm On Mar 05, 2016
fearlesschicken:
As of 1 March, women in Anhui province in east China – who suffer from painful periods and produce a doctors note to say so – will be entitled to up to two days menstrual leave a month. [/b]And while this might sound pretty radical to us, Anhui province isn’t the only, or even first, place to introduce menstrual leave. In fact, it’s already available in at least two other Chinese provinces (and there’s even been talk of making it a country-wide thing) and other Asian countries including Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. But is menstrual leave a good thing? Should it be a universal right for working women?

We debate the pros and cons…

In favour of menstrual leave, multimedia fashion journalist Issey Brunner: ‘Periods are a natural process for all women, but some ladies – like me – get them way worse than others. I spend two days a month feeling like I’ve been punched in the stomach and with crippling cramps in my back and legs so bad I can hardly walk I can tell you, it’s no fun at all. Currently, I don’t call in sick when it’s that time of the month, but to be honest, I’d like to. There’s no doubt that my severe period pains interfere with my daily life, and there are times when I find it hard to focus at work because the pain’s so excruciating.

‘But let’s be clear, this is only for two days a month, and in no way means I’m less well-equipped for the working world in general (which some people would argue), it just means there’s a couple of days a month when it would be best if I was at home. It would be great to know that we lived in a world where employers, occupational health and HR departments were more understanding and genuinely tried to cater for the needs of each individual. Period cramps (known medically as dysmenorrhea) often aren’t taken seriously as a legitimate illness (mainly because they’re seen as a natural part of being a woman), but the pain is real, and not being able to cite severe period pains as the reason you’re calling in sick adds to the burden.

‘Legal menstrual leave would not only be great for women like me on a practical level, but it would also help to break the taboo around periods and help us all speak openly and honestly about our bodies. How can that be a bad thing?’

Against menstrual leave, news editor Siam Goorwich: ‘I’ll be honest, I’m pretty fortunate when it comes to periods. Yes they’re a hassle and a logistical nightmare, but most of the time the pain is nothing that can’t be sorted with a couple of paracetamol and chocolate brownie. Lucky, I know. But that’s not the reason I’m against menstrual leave. I love a duvet day as much as the next person, but I just don’t think menstrual leave is realistic, workable or great for the image of women in the workplace.

‘I hardly ever take sick days (even when I’m a snotty mess and no one wants to sit next to me in the office), and most people I know are the same. Yes we’re entitled to a day off, but in reality no one wants to be seen as being weak or unwilling, so we all soldier on dosed up on cold and flu tabs and stinking of Olbas Oil, and I can’t see how menstrual days will be any different. Then there’s the negative impact that menstrual leave could have on the way women are viewed and treated in their workplace. Obviously anyone discriminating against women who chose to takes menstrual leave would be wrong (or women in general just because they had the right to menstrual leave), but that wouldn’t stop it happening.

‘Severe period pains are awful and the pain and distress they cause shouldn’t be diminished, but I also don’t believe they should be treated any differently than any other chronic illness.’

https://likes.asos.com/31536/should-women-be-entitled-to-menstrual-leave/?affid=14202&channelref=Social+Campaigns&socialref=370702940

Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cups give you upto 12 hrs leak & odour proof Menstrual protection & have also credited with reducing menstrual cramps for a lot of women. Do you have very heavy menstrual flow & get frequently stained & embarrassed in public? Our menstrual cups are re-usable for 3yrs. So you will never have to buy another pad or tampon again in this life. Save thousands on Naira yearly, money you would have spent on pad/tampons. Do you frequently have to double 2 pads with a super tampon yet still soak through them in less than 3-4 hours? Then you need to switch to a large sized Luv Ur Body menstrual cup. Did you know that pads & tampons are not the only things a woman can use for her period? Menstrual cups are made of FDA approved medical grade silicone & have been medically proven to be safer than pads & tampons which leave fibers, dioxins, pesticide residue in the vagina and toxins from the materials they are made of. These fibers can cause cancer over time. Luv Ur Body Menstrual Cups a leading global menstrual cup brand is the first & only menstrual cup approved in Nigeria by Nafdac & SON. Our Nafdac number is 03-2616. They come in small, medium or heavy flow. If your flow isn't to heavy, buy small or medium size. No more stained undies, no more menstrual odour, no need to wrap or burn pads for disposal. To use, simple fold in one of several ways, insert vaginally as you would a tampon, it will re-open fully inside the vagina & collect the menstrual flow inside you for upto 12 hours so go ahead board that flight from Nigeria to USA or Dubai and you won't have to worry about entering any dirty public toilets at airports or on the plane to " change" your pad. After 12hrs, gently push or bear down as if you want to defecate, this will make the cup slide out a bit, gently pull it out by the stem, empty the fluid into the toilet, flush the toilet then simply rinse and re-insert the menstrual cup if your period is still flowing. Turn & use the cup inside out if the stem bothers you. Use a drop or 2 of any feminine wash to rinse it if you have, if not, just use water. At the end of your period, to thoroughly sterilise it, simply soak it overnight with 1 Milton tablet and 3 mugs of water. Then store it in the free pouch it comes with till your next period and repeat the process for the next 3 yrs. With a menstrual cup, you will be so fresh and odourless that you can have oral sekx with your cup inside you. You can swim, exercise. Travel on long journeys confidently. If you are TRYING TO CONCEIVE (TTC), you can use our small sized cup to collect and keep the seminal fluid inside you for longer time to increase possibility of conception. Thx. Give me a shout out via zero,eight,one,eight,six,eight, three, nine,four, nine four. Prices for all sizes excluding delivery is N3,800

(1) (Reply)

MDCN Registration Issues Are Very Unprofessional / I Need A Herbal Drug In Port Harcourt / Prostinor 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.