Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,148 members, 7,825,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Open Heavens - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Open Heavens (1280 Views)

A Letter To The Heavens. / Beneath The Heavens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 9:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
Hello everyone, this is a first attempt at writing a story here. Constructive criticism is much welcome, thank you.

Open heavens
This story is a work of fiction, the names used in this story are purely fictional as well. This story is the intellectual content of the original author( Tonye wellington), no part or parts of this story are to be used without the express written authority of the author.
This work of literature is protected by the Nigerian Copyright Act of 2004

DAVID.
The 4 kilometres walk from the junction through the elekahia housing estate to his self contained one room apartment in his uncles house along T.Y Danjuma road Trans-amadi under the burning august sun was a not so pleasant task, a cold sachet of water purchased from the pure water hawkers along aba road outside the MTN office where he went for an interview at noon was the only source of hydration he'd gotten all afternoon. 'We'll keep in touch' was all he was told after answering all questions asked him by the gentleman and two ladies that made up the recruitment panel of the South African communication company.
He could only pray they did get back to him as he had almost exhausted the meagre savings he was able to painstakingly and diligently set aside from the menial jobs he did during his 4year B.s.c Programme, The best graduating student at the University of Port-Harcourt's Department of Business Management he never imagined that life 2 years after N.Y.S.C would be so difficult and hard, only God knows how he would have managed without the bricklayers wages he'd gotten this past few months.
Drying the perspiration off his face with his crisp white handkerchief, he continued the long walk back to his abode. He thought of stopping at the site of the office complex under construction close to his house but a cold bath and a nap sounded more appealing, as he continued his long walk home he thought on an on how unlucky he'd been with his job hunt so far resorting to very hard labour just to make ends meet.
He was doubtful he could continue surviving in this manner for long, he had to look for an alternative means of income a lot less stressful than this 'ugwaja' he's been doing so far before he aged 10 years older than he was.
Just then his phone rang, it was Fabia calling. He realised he was yet to send her the N5,000 he promised her to aid the purchase of her JAMB form, as tired and dehydrated as he was he realised he would have to stop over at the construction site after all to raise some money for his sister's jamb form. But first, a quick stop at madam bose's long bench for a much needed plate of rice and beans without meat.
'una well done o' he greeted the other customers already seated enjoying various delicacies 'Madam bose , abeg you get rice and beans?' David asked the dark middle aged heavy bottomed Yoruba lady, 'No o Oga David, edon finish pkata pkata, na the one me I go chop na e remain. But I get yam portage, with cow head. Is you like that one?' she replied. 'Oya gimme the portage 'without', and two cold pure water make I take hold body' David replied her.

Rotating her well endowed bottom she went about having his order ready. 'Na e be dis oga' she said dropping the plate, 'ah ah madam, sheby I tell you say na without!! Which one you carry two heavy meat put inside?' David asked her. 'ah ah na Oga David you is my better customer, Is just a showing of appreciation for a better somebody like you 'beeni'(yes).
'bia madam, na only David be your customer hia?' asked 'odogwu one chance'. Hehehehehe a deep throated laugh escaped bose's throat causing her heavy mammary glands to gyrate accordingly.
'odogwu! If my business is depend on customer like you I would ve close my shop and going my village since, just quietly chopping your yam portage before I remembering how much you is owing me' replied madam bose.
Eating quietly and slowly David hardly noticed the comedy on going around him, as he was deep in thought. Finally done with the well spiced and very tasty yam portage, he proceeded to give madam bose her money which she refused collecting telling him not to bother.
'Opobo leeee! madam bose, this is a multiple ndralulu in drastic nditete!' Exclaimed Odogwu one chance, 'come David i'm beginning to suspect that you have begun indulging in the unholy copulation with madam bose's down below' he quipped . 'that dry paw paw leaf you are smoking has beginning to driving you mad, benee!(yes), Infact leaving my shop before I sitting on your head omo ale jatiti' replied madam bose.
David quietly left the both of them as he made his way to the site, on reaching the site he realised that the only work available was offloading bags of cement from the trailer making its way into the site ' Na N50 per bag I de pay to offload o' said the supervisor . Hearing this he stripped down to his boxers, found and wore an old condemned coveralls and went about offloading with enthusiasm the heavy dangote cement bags whistling as he did much to the annoyance of his colleagues. With 10 persons at the site he still managed to off-load a hundred and 50 bags of cement which was by far more than what his body could handle.
Ensuring his wage was safely tucked into his bag, with a wet cloth he cleaned himself of the cement particles wore his clothes and made his way home.

Awakened by the constant ringing of his phone, every part of his well chiselled frame ached severely as a result of the previous days 'ugwaja' job he'd done. Stretching and yawning he grabbed his cell phone from the bedside table to see the calls he missed that morning, 15 missed calls 13 from fabia 2 from an unknown number.
He immediately dialed his sister's number, she picked on the second ring ' David it's mama o' sobbed fabia, 'she collapsed and we had to rush her to the health centre at main Okrika'.
'Oh no, not now!!' thought David, he had nothing save for the N2,700 in his savings account and the N7,500 he got from offloading bags of cement yesterday. Putting on a jean trouser t-shirt and palm slippers making sure to carry his wallet in his back pocket he hurriedly left for the health centre were his mother was taken.

'hello fabia, I am at the reception of the health centre where are you?' David asked his kid sister 'I'll be out in a bit just hold on' she replied.
'thank God you are here 'bros me' ' hugging her big brother she sobbed into his shoulder.
'Where's mama?' He asked her, 'she's in the general ward receiving drip. The nurse asked me to deposit N5,000 else her treatment won't be continued as we still owe them N11,000 from her previous treatment here' she told him. 'how did it happen? Where were you when she collapsed? Where you making sure she took her medications as prescribed by the doctor?' He quizzed her, 'that's why I called you yesterday, mama's drugs got finished days ago' fabia answered. 'Don't worry mama will be well, let me deposit the money so they'll continue her treatment' holding hands, she led him to the nurses station where he made the deposit.

Ibinabo
'where are you now?!!! The bridal train leaves any moment and you are not here with my jewelries' she screamed into the phone at her driver Koffi. 'Madam na traffic jam I de so, I don de reach. You go soon see me, sorry madam'. 'sorry for yourself you old fool' she replied the elderly chauffeur. 'ah ah Ib why are you so rude? That man is older than your father yet you address him in such a disrespectful manner' scolded Jessica her childhood friend. Jessica wondered why her friend ibinabo was such a shrew, she'd been this way since they where little kids. An only daughter of Chief and professor Mrs Atamuno Dokubo, Ibinabo Irene Dokubo was a very beautiful young lady. She was indeed the object of affection of her dotting parents who spoilt herself and her only brother Idawari at any given opportunity, they were never flogged whenever they misbehaved by their parents who believed that kids should never be flogged. If only Ibinabo knew the harm being done to them by their parents, at 23 years of age she was the most disrespectful of her peers. Her brother Idawari has been expelled from two private universities, his offences ranged from cultism, rape, armed robbery. Other nefarious activities of Idawari Dokubo are kidnapping and fraud.
'Na them be this madam Ib' said the obviously petrified chauffeur Koffi, 'what took you so long ehn? Why are you so slow Koffi. You are really slow and dumb' quipped Ib, with a frown on his face the old man walked slowly away.
Every one noticed the way Ib insulted the old man, she was actually being tolerated so as not to spoil their friend Yemisi's special day. Not many of her friends wanted her around, the few who did where either from her childhood days or the gold digging acquaintances who like vultures hovered around for the few give aways she threw around every now and then.
'Yemisi are you through? Your dad just knocked for the second time' Jessica informed ' we are almost through with her make up, we should be through in another 5minutes' Replied Amaka the petite ebony beauty who's hour glass shape was greatly complimented by her expensive christian dior gown.
Ibinabo prayed that the ceremony would come to its end, it was her time of the month and she was really uncomfortable. Checking to make sure her pad was properly placed, she walked slowly behind the bridal train as they made their way into the Anglican cathedral at Buguma town in Kalabari Kingdom, Rivers state.
It really was a colourful event, the guests that graced the white wedding of Prince Ipalibo Princewill the crown prince of the Kalabari Kingdom were very important dignitaries. In attendance where the Vice president of Nigeria( a class mate of Prince Ipalibo's father the king and Chief Dokubo, Ibinabo's father), the Senate president, state governors, ambassadors. The small town of Buguma was abuzz with activities, the fearsome looking security personnel were so many you'd think an invasion was in the offing.
The locals where dressed in their Sunday best, and although the wedding was strictly by invitation the locals where very well attended to. Tents where dishes of various kinds both known and alien to the locals where provided and made available to them in order to have them distracted long enough until the wedding was concluded and the guests far gone, while this worked on the majority of the towns people a few others whose purpose differed from the rest didn't even go near the tent but kept close tabs on the dignitaries from afar.
Vows exchanged,pictures taken the ceremony proceeded to the palace of the Amayanabo(king) of Kalabari kingdom. The reception was strictly by invitation and you couldn't get anywhere near the palace entrance without one, an exception was made for the palace servants and extra hands employed just for the wedding they where however subjected to immense scrutiny by the Ass. Police Commissioner in charge of that district.
Celebrity musician/singer Tubaba was in attendance to surprise the couple and their guests with his award winning track African queen, as he sang 'spiritual healing' the grooms men and bridesmaid performed a humorous drama formerly rehearsed and much to the entertainment of the guests. While kin attention was being paid to the drama by everyone, no one noticed a lady in a servants attire paying close attention to Chief Dokubo as he was huddled in conversation with the V.P, the King, Alhaji Ali(Africa's richest man and friend of the president) and the state Governor. She'd tried getting close to him but to no avail, she'd been told to poison his drink as the team of snipers couldn't get a clear shot of the Chief from their vantage point. They'd been discussing about OML 23 won by Chief Dokubo, Alhaji Ali had used his relationship with the presidency to get the OML(oil mining licence) awarded to his bosom friend Chief Dokubo and in return Chief had giving the servicing contracts for the deep sea oil rig to Alhaji Ali.
As the ceremony gradually came to its end Prince Ipalibo in his speech thanked the guests for coming to the small town of Buguma to honour his wife and himself as well as their families, praying that God guide them as they leave for their various abodes. As if on cue, fireworks from nowhere where fired into the horizon displaying an array of colours much to the amazement of the guests. As the ooh's and aah's of the locals filled the air, the V.P and other high profile guests discreetly left the palace of his majesty King Amachree IX, Amayanabo of Kalabari kingdom Much to the dismay of 'ama opusingi'.
Ama opusingi, a lieutenant of the dreaded 'sea devils' and his boys also exited the environment. He had been contracted to eliminate Chief Dokubo by the chiefs enemies, they'd been unlucky this time but the next time they'll hit their target concluded amakpoja second in command and child hood friend of Opusingi. Opusingi never missed a target and he was sure he'll hit the bulls eye next time he thought as they made their way into the creeks of Kalabari.

2 Likes

Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 10:00am On Feb 23, 2016
CHIEF DOKUBO

'You have been ignoring his calls for too long, don't you think you should give our son another chance?' Charmaine asked Chf Dokubo, they were in a limousine navigating the smooth clean roads of the three ams zone enroute for Aso villa 'that boy is a disgrace'!!! Shouted Chf. 'it's baffling that you'll still intercede on his behalf, the General manager of GTB called to tell me the trust fund I set up for Junior is empty!!! How did he spend one hundred million naira? Did he buy shares in a company or invested in a project?. Did he make a bad business decision? He didn't do any of the above. He spent it touring and gambling in Europe, taking private jets up and down. The money is almost finished and now he calls me, to tell me what?' fumed Chief 'I don't want to hear the mention of his name, he's refused to do anything useful with his life. Two universities!!!!! he was expelled for crimes ranging from armed robbery to rape!!!!! My son an armed robber and rapist (he adds, almost too faint to be heard), I don't blame him it's all my fault for spoiling him the way I have in the past but that will no longer happen. He is no longer heir to my vast business empire, as of this moment he is connected to me by blood and name only'. ( and I wonder if he truly is from loins) thought Chief Atamuno Dokubo. His wife was adamant, ' but chief he's our only son, you just can't dis-inherit him like that who'll inherit All the wealth you've amassed over the years?' replied Charmaine his wife 'you must have heard of warren buffet and other philanthropic billionaires , or haven't you? I'm sure you have.'
' But chief....' started his wife. 'quiet woman!!!!' thundered chief, ' I meet with the presidency in 20 minutes, I'll appreciate it if you can be quiet. You have half a billion naira in your trust fund set up for you by your late father, why don't you give him to manage and stop disturbing my life' finished Chief.
Just then his phone rings, dipping his right hand into his left breast pocket he picks his cell phone upon seeing the caller identity he answers immediately. 'Ali my man, oh yes I'll be there in a couple of minutes. I definitely will not be late' he ends the call and put it on silent mode.

'His excellency is in the banquet hall with some Chinese diplomats, he's asked that we wait in his office' Alhaji Ali informed Chief Dokubo.
As they made their way towards the very grand office of the number 1 citizen in Nigeria, Chief Dokubo could only reminisce on the earlier conversation with his wife. Could he really give away everything he's worked for to charity? How did he become so unlucky to have been blessed with such a son who he could never mention or be proud of? Thinking back to his youth, he knew he'd done some very bad things as a youth but those actions were borne out of necessity. It was either survival or die a hungry painful death, but his son has been privileged. Attending the best schools, holidays in exotic locations. He heaved a sigh....
'what is the matter Chief?' asked Alhaji Ali 'nothing really, was lost in thought for a bit' replied Chief 'we can always renegotiate the terms of the service contract for your proposed rig' said Alhaji thinking that was the problem as the falling dollar price would affect the cost service delivery. 'it's of a personal nature. How much longer do we have to wait?' asked chief changing the subject, an uneasy quiet filled the room.
The door was opened minutes later and the president walked in. Rising, the two men greeted his excellency and waited to be told to sit. Asking them softly to take their sits, the president apologised for keeping them waiting and informed them that he'd rather have this conversation from the comfort of his residence. After a bit of friendly chit chat they where off to the residential wing of the villa, upon arrival the president left instructions not to be bothered until he's finished the meeting with his 'special guests'.
'Click' sounded the sound proof door of the presidents library. He was really looking tired and had to be left for a bit of time before he initiated the conversation, ' hajia tells me she's in kaduna with your wife and would return in 2hours' the president informed Chief Dokubo. 'It appears the approval of OML23 has made you more enemies' the president told Chf, ' these people as you are aware don't make empty threats, they won't stop until you are dead' 'they are your old friends after all your excellency,you can call them off' replied Chief. The president asked the Chief if he can make this problem go away 'we'll just have to see,in the interim My family will move to the U.S while I relocate to the garden city.' replied the Chief. The president nodded his head and summoned his P.A mallam Idris, 2seconds later a formerly disguised part of the wall opened and a tall dark handsome gentleman in his early 20's of northern decent walked out briskly. ' bring them in the president ordered' minutes later four men led by Mallam Idris walked in, the men where High Chief Eketa Tommy (rivers state), General Opkolopkolo (delta/edo states), Alhaji gbisket (bayelsa state), Gen. Loaf baby (delta/ondo/osun states).' now gentlemen, I believe you all have met so there's no need for introductions' . Turning to the four men who just entered he started ' it has been brought to my knowledge that a contract for the assassination of my friend here Chief Dokubo has been given, I don't care to know what issues you had with him before now but I will only say this once. The naira is crashing and so is oil we need every revenue we can get. Chief Dokubo will be building two refineries in exchange for the O.M.L23, this means that without exporting our oil we shall refine and sell to Nigeria and other African countries. But first, we need all the refineries we can get. If anything happens to Chief Atamuno Dokubo in your area I will personally hold you responsible, not only that I will retract the amnesty of such person, kill such persons and all their members/followers and if there is pipeline vandalism in that area I will do worse than what my predecessor from otta farms did to that community in Bayelsa' I'm sure ve made myself clear?' He said in a voice just above a whisper, knowing the former military dictator to be a man of his words the militant leaders nodded their heads vigorously. 'Good that will be all' he said dismissing the 'repentant agitators'. 30 mins after the departure of the four men and some small talk his excellency stood, signalling that the meeting was over. Chief and Alhaji stood and left after shaking hands with the president.
Leaving the Aso Villa, Chief Dokubo called his wife telling her to wait for their kids at their asokoro residence and upon their arrival move to the private wing of the abuja airport where the pilot and cabin crew of his private jet awaits. Taking the private jet of his friend Alhaji Ali, he arrived Port-harcourt international airport where He was met by a 20man team of ex-special forces soldiers that whisked him away from the airpot to his residence close to the government house along William Jumbo street Old Gra Port -harcourt.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 10:02am On Feb 23, 2016
DAVID
'my son, things may be rough today but don't forget 'your destiny can only be delayed, it can never be denied'. Even if you have to do menial jobs to survive go ahead and do it! Don't ever blind your destinies eyes by stealing or indulging in any illegal activities like some desperate people do. Yes I'm an akara seller but it's better than being called a prostitute, be wise my son...... be wise. My people say,' a good name brings wealth and good tidings' Oya kneel down lemme pray for you.' he kneels down and bows his head as his mother lays her two hands wrinkled from frequent proximity to fire on his head and prays a deep prayer for her son, calling the hosts of heaven to hasten with his blessings. Reminding God that her son has been a good boy all his life, and his blessings should not be delayed so that he will not go astray. Placing her palms on his feet, speaking in her native okrika dialect she told his feet to listen to the guidance of God and like balaams donkey refuse to take him to any destination against God's will. Putting her hand on his inner thighs, she spoke from her heart thanking God for blessing her with children that have brought her comfort and happiness since after her husband's death making all the worries of life fade away like smoke from her locally made cooking stove. Blessing their offspring for generations to come, she prayed that tears, hearthache, and shame will be far away from their domain . With that mama David asked for water, she bid David journey mercies as He embarked on his journey back to the Trans-Amadi area of Port-Harcourt where he managed a self contained apartment in his uncles vast mansion.
'thank you mama for your prayers and advise, please stay strong and don't worry about anything God will provide. Take your drugs and rest.' 'Fabia, please try your best to ensure mama takes her drugs appropriately and always be by her side, everything will be fine by God's grace, but I need to live now' He said . After hugging his sister and mother he left the hospital making his way to the Kalio Ama jetty where he'll board a boat to abuloma and from their to his uncles house at trans amadi. At the jetty, Just as he was about to board the single engine flying boat he felt a light tap on his shoulder. Turning to see a teenage boy hu told him 'my capon de call you', 'eh ehn? for where im day' answered David. 'Im de for yonder that side' the teen replied pointing a finger in the direction of a slightly elevated point on the jetty. 'okay Chief, make I collect my money back from the boat rider' he told the boy, as he made to engage the driver in conversation for his change the tout walked a few feet away from the jetty to the shade provided by the towering fruit tree. Looking back, the boy noticed the 'bros' his executioner asked him to call had boarded the boat which was just making its way out of the jetty. Swearing under his breath the tout swiftly walked to the place where he's executioner was seated to report himself off his failure in his 'duty', standing by his executioner were other members of the group who formed the exco's of the sea devils in that small island community.
As the boat approached the abuloma jetty, David was grateful that he'd outsmarted the tout who'd been ready to take him to God knows where. The sea devils had turned his village into a wild west of sorts, young men who weren't members and weren't careful were buried alive, some where tied hand and feet to 9inches blocks and thrown into the sea. He always had reservations coming to his village because of what this dreaded militants do to people, the brazen manner with which they carry out their nefarious activities was alarming. The police feared them even more than most citizens, they had more sophisticated assault rifles than the police brandishing them with reckless abandon. Wondering what this men from the underworld could want with him, he highlighted slowly from the boat at the abuloma jetty walking trance like to the park.
Upon his arrival, he was surprised to see his uncles wife seating in front of his door. Forcing a smile, he greeted her and asked about her husband. 'He travelled' she told him, ' I hope all is well madam?' David asked. She replied in the positive but informed him that she mistakingly reset the password of the WIFI and now couldn't remember the new one, he asked her to call the service provider for assistance ' they'll be here tomorrow but I have an urgent Skype call in two hours that can't be rescheduled, can you please assist? ' she told him. 'ehm..... okay I'll see what I can do. But give me 10mins' he told her, she thanked him and walked away.
' it's fine now, but You'll need to be careful so as not to mix things up next time' he told her,quite uncomfortable with how close her face was to his shoulder 'the new password is your name Amanda, you can change it after I leave' 'thank you very much. you've been very helpful. Please have this to recharge your phone' she said offering him a wad of one thousand naira notes, 'thank you madam, but I can't accept that' he said trying to adjust forward pretending to peer closer to the monitor screen while he hurriedly closed the application. As he made to stand she held unto his shoulder with her soft hands pleading with him to assist with synchronising her email and phone. He sat back down asking for both phone and email address, she gave him both and told him she'll be back in a bit. Immediately he was done with the synchronisation process he dashed out of the large lavishly furnished sitting room escaping from all temptation to the solitude and security his apartment provided.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 7:55am On Feb 24, 2016
A knock on his door startled him awake, he checked his time 00:49. Wondering who it could be he made for the door, 'who is that' he asked 'it's Amanda, please open the door I need to talk to you'. He reluctantly opened the door to see his uncle's wife clad in a see through nightwear hugging her herself due to the immense cold, checking to see if any of the security guards in the compound where awake he let her in satisfied non were about at this ungodly hour. Seating on the floor while she sat on the bed, he began wondering what could be so important that couldn't wait for the dawn of day he peered at her suspiciously waiting for her to reveal her purpose, 'I don't know where to start' she eventually spoke after some minutes of quiet which seemed like an eternity for David as he couldn't remove from memory all his mother warned him about the lady and her husband the previous day. ' things have been very terrible these past few months between your uncle and I, the fact that we've been married for 6 years without kids has turned my formerly loving husband to a shadow of himself. He doesn't love me anymore, hardly gives me any attention hasn't kissed me in 3months, he travels all the time under the pretence of business but I know he carries his mistresses on such trips.' Pouring her heart out to him, she began sobbing. David quietly felt for his bedside table where he keeps his cigarette, collecting a packet and lighter he excused himself walking to his kitchen shut the door and lit a stick inhaling deeply. Shaking his head, he wondered how his uncle could neglect such a beautiful woman like Amanda for other women. An ebony beauty with a shape to die for, average height, well endowed in all the right places a very pretty face and on top of it all a hard working manager in an IT company. He thought his uncle was sick in the head for neglecting her the way he'd been doing in the past months, this could drive her into the arms of another man. But on the other hand, what if this was a trap set by his two timing conniving uncle? Putting out the cigarette, he made his way to his room determined to coerce her gently to leave. Reaching his room, he heard a soft snoring sound from her. He tapped her gently on her arm and she awoke with a start and desperation in her eyes but he looked away. Wiping her eyes, she apologised for troubling him with her problems and asked to use his bathroom before leaving for the main house. Pointing the way to the bathroom for her he dropped his packet of cigarettes inside the drawer in the bedside table and stood by the door waiting for her to finish and take her leave. Stepping out of the bathroom she must have slipped her wet foot on the tile cos she fell hard amidst a tearing sound, rushing to help her to her feet he gently asked if she was alright 'I think so' she replied, not noticing her nightie had been torn almost in half due to her position on the floor. He noticed first because he tried to sit her upright, and found two firm grape shaped br***s staring back at him. Mustering all the self control he never new he possessed he reach for the wrapper on his bed and made to cover her, she resisted his noble gesture. Standing to her full height she stripped of the ripped night wear he immediately looked away, clad in her birthday suit she stretched her hand and collected the wrapper from him tied it around herself. And walked out of his room with her condemned night wear in her hands. Stopping at his door she turned back smiled and waved him goodnight/good morning and walked into the main house.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 7:56am On Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the views, but can I please get a few comments?
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 5:26pm On Feb 25, 2016
Thinking of how the relationship between his uncle's wife and himself will most definitely change after this occurrence he was unable to sleep. Remembering he was to work at the site later that morning, he set his alarm and went to bed.
Five minutes later he heard the Riiiiiiiiiing of his phone's alarm tone, struggling to rise he made for the shower room. After attending to his morning hygiene he picked his bag containing his work clothes, put his earpieces on and left for the construction site. Just as he left the compound, the gates opened and Amanda drove out in her range rover vogue. She drove off in a hurry not even sparing David a glance, he walked on unperturbed more concerned with his unemployment status.
Stopping at madam Bose, he ordered a plate of rice and beans without meat to go as he was already late. 'Oga David, what I do? You have stopping come to my international long bench 'kishin'. Do you travelling? Ehh?'. ' Not at all o madam bose, I've been very busy.' collecting the food he payed and was about to leave when madam bose told him she really needs to see him later after work. He nodded his agreement and went his way. He got to the site before everyone else, changed into his work clothes carried a wheelbarrow and shovel wheeled it to the hip of sand filling it up he proceeded to ready his sand and chipping in anticipation for the days job.

CHIEF DOKUBO

'I need that building completed yesterday, I am moving the head quarters of my corporation to Port-harcourt. Please tell koffi to come in on your way out' Chief said dismissing the engineer in charge of his new office complex. Deep in thought Chief didn't hear his daughters driver come in 'Good morning Chief, you sent for me', looking up he wondered when Koffi entered his office ' yes koffi, thank you for coming. I hope Ibinabo isn't as disrespectful?' not waiting for an answer Chief continued ' she'll be away for awhile so you can take your family on vacation anywhere they'll like, all expenses taking care of by me'. Clearly delighted, Koffi was beside himself with joy ' thank you so much chief, I appreciate you. You have a kind heart and only God would bless you for that, your reward is too heavy to be issued by any living human being' . That's alright Koffi, let the accountant know a week before you are ready to leave, thank you Koffi that'll be all'. Pressing a button on his table Chief summoned his secretary, ' yes sir?' closing the door a tall hour glass shaped, elegant lady looking every bit as grand as the surrounding environment walked in. 'Please reschedule all meetings, I need to inspect the new office complex' he informed her 'but sir, the Commissioner for health is to meet you at 2pm' she reminded him. 'how long have you been working here?' Chief asked the lady 'one month sir' she replied. 'do as you are told and you just might remain with us longer than that' Shaking his head he walked away.
Even with his security detail trying to manage the traffic situation the drive from new GRA to his new office complex on Odili Rd Trans-Amadi was at a snails pace, he was deep in thought about the threat to his life and those of his immediate family. He was a man to reckon with In the society, at age 56 Chief Dokubo was a king maker, a stakeholder in the Niger-delta region, and an elderstatesman. A ruthless business man with a great deal of respect for his oppositions and competition, a valuable lesson from his time living on the streets.

It was a Friday afternoon, he'd just returned from school to an empty house since he is an only child and both his parents career people. Young Dokubo Atamuno Had gone to check his A-level Cambridge results and he passed with flying colours, he was sitting on the staircase of their beautiful bungalow at Rumuibekwe housing estate in Port-harcourt waiting for his dad who usually picks his mum from her office along Aba-Rd to give them the great news. He'd waited until 7pm when he decided to have his bath, just as he entered his room to off his clothes he heard a knock on the door. Rushing to the door he was surprised to find two gentlemen, they showed police Id cards and introduced themselves. They asked him if he is the son of Mr and Mrs Miebaka and Evelyn Atamuno, he answered in the affirmative all the while wondering what could be the problem. They informed him that his parents where in a car accident on their way home, the car failed brake hit a lorry and exploded there were no survivors. With those words, his world came crashing down. He screamed and fainted, he woke in the hospital to the face of his uncle Joseph.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 1:44pm On Feb 29, 2016
It took a while to gather his wit about, putting two and two together to realise he was in the hospital as a result of the shock from his parents demise. He was however surprised to find his uncle beside his bed waiting for him to regain consciousness, more surprising was the feigned look of surprise on his uncles face. Masking his own surprise he pressed the button for the nurses assistance while he greeted his uncle, pretending to be sorely concerned for Dokubo's health he shot a barrage of questions at the nurse who just entered responding to the summons bell. Answering as calmly as possible, the young nurse gave him as much info as she was allowed to and asked him to leave as visiting ours where since over. Directing her attention to the handsome young man on the bed, she checked his temperature and asked how he was doing? He replied fine and though the expression on his face was blank she could sense that the young man was greatly depressed and could regress even deeper if proper care is not taking. The story from the two police officers who brought him to the hospital, was that he fainted upon hearing about the fatal crash that took his parents life yesterday afternoon. She asked if he was hungry, he shook his head and inquired when he could be discharged 'soon' she told him. She opened his windows to allow fresh air, fluffed his pillows and asked if there was anything she could do to make him feel better. Noticing her for the first time, Dokubo realised that the dark skinned nurse of average height was indeed pretty looking. He asked her about the officers who must ve brought him here, she informed him that they left after bringing him here. But his uncle called while the nurses held on to his handset
in case a friend or family member called.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 3:22pm On Mar 01, 2016
He asked about the hospital bill, but was told it had been taking care of by the police officers. Nodding his head, he told her that he would like to be discharged so as not to incur more bills and also to consult his church on the burial of his parents(even at that time, he was very accountable and was meticulous. A value his very quiet hardworking father had taught him). Upon hearing that, she promised to talk to the doctor on his behalf to hasten his departure. As she made to leave before the nosy matron came snooping around, she advised him to be strong in this sad time and be a man now as he'd no other choice now. He thanked her and she walked out closing the door quietly,leaving him to slide back deep into thought. He had no doubt his uncle was here at the behest of his father's clans men from the the Abam family, his father's family never approved of his father marrying his mother because she was Ibo and rumoured to be an 'osu' or outcast. The family had been morally un supportive of the union from their courting days, after they where married and she'd bore him a son they still couldn't hide their dislike for Evelyn and she didn't care one bit as long as the one who meant the world to her didn't care either.
His mother had told him about the attitude of his father's family towards them, but advised him never to hate them because their sense of judgement was just clouded and that's all their was to it. Advising him to be prudent In all his ways and wiser than a serpent, reminding him that wealth just like a bird if not caged will fly away out of reach of the owner. She told him a lot of things he was thankful for, but he was most glad for the things she told him on his 17th birthday she said ' you are now a man, don't forget you are an only child and you have always been treated as such. Inspite of our humble appearance your father is a very rich man , I'll prefer you spend at least two years working for your father before you leave for Cambridge to further your studies. That'll help you more as it would give you practical managerial knowledge'. He was unhappy with this advise at the time but he didn't fail to recognise the wisdom in it, he was immensely grateful he had heeded his mother's advise.
He was off the bed, staring out the windows but seeing nothing he didn't hear the police officer walk into the room and sit on the only available chair, 'you look stronger today' startled by the cops voice he turned around with a start. Surprised by the cops presence, he greeted him and asked how long he's been sitting in here. ' long enough' answered the officer, 'I understand that these are trying times for you but you have to be very very careful, our investigation into your parents crash shows that the brake was tampered with. The mechanic who always serviced your father's car travelled, so your father took it somewhere else. Our investigation showed that the brake mechanism was fouled with and the mechanic who your father took it to was complicit in this crime. He is ongoing severe interrogation at the station, he claims it was a mistake. But we believe in time he'll sing the name of the person or persons who paid him to do the number on your folks.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 8:00pm On Mar 07, 2016
I must take my leave now, here's my card reach me anytime. Other than your present home do you have any other place of aboard ? I strongly suggest you relocate for safety reasons until the investigation is over' Shaking hands with the young Dokubo he left the hospital.
Thinking hard, he wondered who could want his father dead. His father was a very sincere and honest business man, which didn't sit too well with some of his business acquaintances although he did his best to steer clear of their path. He couldn't help but think about the hatred his father's siblings and kinsfolk had for his family, he had a strong feeling that the assassination of his parents where not business related. Collecting his few belongings, he arranged the room and was about to step out when he bumped into the nurse. She told him the doctor was insistent that he remained at least for another day for further observations and there was nothing she could do, She noticed he had made the bed, arranged the room and was already set to check himself out. She asked if he'd packed his medications along and if he'd need a lift, he told her he could find his way and requested for his cell phone. She gave it to him and asked if she could see him again, he gave her his cell number and asked her to call him whenever it was convenient for her. With that he made his way to the exit while she moved to the next room to check a patient.
He took a cab and headed straight to Union bank Port-Harcourt Town branch, upon arrival he walked straight to the managers office and asked the secretary to inform the man that he needs to see him urgently. She came back asking him to go right in, that her boss will see him now. Entering into the office, he sat down without waiting to be offered a sit. Dokubo greeted Mr Segun Oni, and requested immediate suspension of withdrawal from all his father's personal and business accounts except by his express personal approval. He said a court order will be made available to the bank tomorrow to effect the changes in the ownership of all his father's accounts, companies, properties and lastly one of his father's flats leased by Union Bank in Dokubo estate, Old G.R.A port-harcourt should be immediately vacated and the necessary compensation to the occupants be paid. Dokubo spoke with confidence and decorum that Mr Segun was impressed, he said all withdrawals will be suspended for 48 hrs pending a Court order effecting the will of his late father. He however told him to ensure that he meet the lawyer immediately and be careful not to inform anyone of this development, ' how are you holding up young man?' asked Mr Oni 'trying to keep a level head as you can see sir' rising to take his leave Dokubo thanked the young Manager and exited his office. 'What an arrogant young man thought Mr Segun Oni, he just lost his parents but is making such serious and suspicious orders. He can have his flat and the temporary suspension of all his late fathers accounts, 48hrs is just enough time to investigate and tail young Dokubo to find out if he has anything to do with his father's death. The thoughts of Mr Segun where motivated by the opportunity to take for himself some funds from a hidden account only Dokubo's father and himself knew about. He suspected that the young boy didn't trust him but had nothing on him so he decided to play it safe and wait until after the burial to wipe that account clean. Smiling to himself he could see that summer trip to Maimi he promised his wife becoming a reality, Dokubo didn't leave immediately though. He was underground close to the vault where the banks safe deposit boxes where located, his father had maintained 8 boxes. He went through all of them, in the boxes where highly important documents. Original documents of all his father's properties, companies, even his marriage certificate where all in this boxes. A copy of his father's will notarised at port-harcourt high court in the presence of his wife's uncle Justice Ebere was kept all by itself in one of the eight boxes.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 8:53pm On Mar 14, 2016
Looking through the original documents he once again was thankful that he heeded his mother's advice, as the few months he spent working with his late father had endeared him even more to his late father who after a few months had willingly shown him the ropes of his import and export business giving him the keys to the eight safe deposit boxes where the documents of all his assets where located at an early age of 17. Satisfied that the documents where intact, young Dokubo folded this documents put them in his pocket and left for the high court complex along station Road where his grand uncle's court was located.

UNCLE JOE
'Now that our brother is dead what is the way forward?' Ezekiel the second of the 5 Atamuno brothers asked his brothers. 'I think the best thing to do is take over the business and all assets of our late brother, give a stipend to his only son for upkeep and make sure he attains the level of education that his father would be proud of where ever he is. All of these would be looked at as a plan B in the absence of a will'. Although Ezekiel never supported the union of his brother and his Ibo bride, he was an honest man. A medical Doctor by profession he held no grudges against his late brother or his only son for that matter, but brother or not he was a strong believer in culture and tradition and couldn't trust a person who wasn't of that school of thought', the other brothers harboured a great dislike for their late brother for refusing to honour their fathers decision and where out to get whatever they could of his assets.
' first thing tomorrow, we should approach our late brothers lawyer and have him file a motion for all his properties to be put in our care since his son is yet to attend the University in order to manage his father's shipping company and real estate' said Anga the fourth of the Atamuno brothers. 'with or without a will, we have to ensure that all our late brothers properties are given to us, we cannot allow that small rat of a boy take everything!!!' said Joseph the last and most greedy of the brothers. 'This is a very serious issue that should be addressed with the utmost caution, our late brothers wife was related to some very influential people. This could blow up in our faces leaving us with problems too big for us' said Adokiye the eldest of them, after the demise of their father he'd taken after their father who was a fisherman turning his old paddle canoe fishing business to a well organised reputable fishing company. He was the more cunning brother of the six, he took for his own benefit advantage of every opportunity whether good or bad. 'I strongly advise that we thread with caution. Although I don't personally have need for any of Miebaka's properties, It would be very unwise to allow that thriving business run aground' advised Ezekiel 'we'll meet with our late brothers lawyer first thing tomorrow morning to register our concerns and have him file a suit accordingly'.
TBC
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 4:11pm On Apr 01, 2016
Dokubo
'I'm very sorry once again for your loss my dear boy. But you see, that's life for you. You have to move ahead in life to achieve all your folks couldn't, this isn't the time to sulk and wallow in self pity. Your father has moved on and the onus is on you to carry on his legacy, business, and values to commendable heights' . Justice. Ebere paused, allowing the words to sink into the subconscious of young Dokubo. I aways knew your father's intent was for you to take over his business empire after him, but certainly not at this early stage of your life.' lighting his pipe Judge Ebere walked to the windows in his chambers the pain evident in his eyes, taking a long drag of tobacco from his pipe he thought for a few seconds about his niece who he'd loved even more than the children he never could have. His late wife never had children so he loved his only brother's ( who had died fighting for Biafra in the Nigerian civil war) daughter more than life itself. Judge Ebere was responsible for the vast wealth his grand nephew had amassed, he had bought a fishing company that exported her daily catch to neighbouring countries after processing it. He was a bright young lawyer who had represented a local fisherman who's fishing canoe had been destroyed by a fishing vessel due to the negligence of the vessel captain. The fishing company had tried to suppress the local fisher man using the police to arrest and threaten him with a bogus charge of 'high sea robbery' it was at the station where Barr. Chukwudi Ebere on a pro-bono visit to an accused client in detention at the central police station Port-harcourt met Chief Tarila Anthony Atamuno (oduabaji the xiv) shouting and refusing to be detained or pen down a statement for that matter, hearing about the case from a female police officer who was his informant he'd taking on the case adopting the oduabaji as his latest client. He sued the shipping firm for fraud and damages, the verdict was in favour of Chf Atamuno. Barr Ebere however sued the company after the conclusion of the initial suit for unethical practice harmful to the development of the environment and it's owners. The company decided to settle out of court, a settlement that saw the Barr Ebere own 35% Shares of the fishing company and the rest is history.
'Your father has left you big shoes which in order for you to fill you must have to suffer a rapid maturity acceleration, there's no room for mourning. You'll ve to man up immediately, and be ready to learn' walking back to his chair behind his vast mahogany table he called his confidential secretary to come in with her typewriter. He called the lawyer to Dokubo's late father to report to his chambers immediately whether he was in the court premises or not. A few minutes later, Barr White walked into the chambers of Justice Ebere. 'You sure did take your jolly time getting here counsel, I'm sure you've heard of the untimely demise of your client and his wife?' Justice Ebere asked 'yes sir, Infact I was making my way to your office to request that the will of my client be read and all his accounts temporary sealed until the process to transfer all his assets to his son is completed'. 'you just had to wait a couple of days' thought judge Ebere. 'Have a seat counsel' the Judge waited for the lawyer to seat before dictating to his confidential secretary an order that'll kick start the process of transfer of ownership of all assets belonging to the next of kin of the deceased and in the interim suspend all transfer of funds out of any such accounts.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 12:30pm On Apr 25, 2016
Immediately after the judge had finished dictating to his secretary and the documents printed he had her give a copy to Barr White, 'I need you to call a meeting with your late client's family, inform them that his will shall be read tomorrow at 10am at my court' with that he rose up. Taking that as his cue Barr White stood up and made to leave but not before extending his condolences to Dokubo and also inquiring about his accommodation now his parents where no more. 'it's been taking care of sir, thank you for your kind words sir', with that the lawyer left leaving the judge and his nephew alone.
' I have asked my father's accountant to make available for me a flat in my father's estate by tomorrow morning' Dokubo told his uncle breaking the silence. His uncle nodded his head and advised him to be very cautious with that accounts officer. He also convinced him to pass the night in his home and together they'll go inspect his flat tomorrow. On the drive to the home of Justice Ebere, the judge remembered how Chief Tarila Anthony Atamuno Had made bad investment with all the money paid him as compensation from that case. Left with nothing but debts running into hundreds of thousands, he'd sold all his properties and even had to borrow from the judge. His sons had stopped schooling due to lack of funds, so he met with Barr Ebere begging him to talk to the fishing company to give his sons scholarships in order for them to continue with their education. The fishing company offered to sponsor 3boys out of the five and the barrister offered to sponsor one person, the chief was given the tough job of deciding who will not benefit. The decision was made for him when his third son, walked into his room and told him that he'd decided to walk for the fishing company so that his wages will compliment the money his father brought home everyday. The chief was dumbstruck he always knew his third son to be the most caring of his five boys, he never realised just how much the boy was willing to sacrifice for his family. What no one knew was that the young Miebaka's sacrifice had turned the hands of fate to favour him beyond measure.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 10:30am On Apr 30, 2016
He started working with the fishing company the very next morning, and became really close with Barr Ebere who was told about his sacrifice by the Chief. The young Miebaka in his teens was full of life and readily accepted when called upon to perform chores outside of his job description, it wasn't long before the executive officer on one of the vessel's recommended his immediate promotion and study abroad in Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA, formerly Warsash Maritime Centre) in the United Kingdom.
Upon his return, Barr Ebere who had just been called to the bench and was a customary court judge had bought more shares from the fishing company making him the owner of the company. He made the young Miebaka his business partner, and appointed him MD of the firm. Miebaka helped his brothers as much as he could, and ensured that they got all the needed support. He sent his two younger brothers Anga and Joseph to the UK to further their education, gave his elder brother Adokiye enough money to revive their fathers fishing business and even bought his father a car. No matter how much money he gave his brothers or how much assistance he rendered to them, Joseph and Anga never appreciated. They always wanted more, even after he'd fixed them up with insurance and construction companies with fat salaries they still weren't content. After ten years, Miebaka decided to start his own export company and he decided to diversify. Beside the fishes he exported to neighbouring countries, he also exported a few other cash crops like rubber, cocoa, groundnut and later crude oil. It was at this point that his brothers demanded to work for his company or no where else, being the kind hearted fellow he was he acquiesced to the request but only the condition that they'll be placed on probation for a period of months. This didn't sit well with either Anga or Joseph as they where expectant of holding top managerial positions in their brothers company, instead a Ghanaian who'd schooled with Miebaka was made the general manager of Dokubo Intl Miebaka's company. Even more infuriating was that they had to work under a lady who headed the operations department where they were made supervisor and assistant despite the fact they made more than their H.O.D In salary and other fringe benefits. Little did they know that they where being tested by their brother who's intent was to open a fish exporting company for them, but their sense of judgement was blinded by their hatred and this affected their performance greatly. It got to a point that their interpersonal relationship with their subordinates had deteriorated to an all time low, fearing the worst Miebaka was forced to open the fish exporting firm for them just to get them out of the way and in order not to topple his business.
Re: Open Heavens by tonye72(m): 8:24am On May 04, 2016
Chief Tarila Anthony Atamuno (oduabaji the xiv)
Chief Atamuno looked at his life and was pleased with how things turned out for himself and his boys, after things turned south on his business after that Ill advised investment he never imagined he'll see his boys becoming successful and things generally changing in the positive for his family. The death of his wife had caused his last two sons to withdraw into a shell shared between them both, though few years apart in age they were so close you'd think they are twins. Always defending one another verbally or physically, one was always dragged into trouble by the other,and when they weren't fighting others the sibling rivalry existing between them had them fighting each other half the time. Growing up,their elder brothers having realised this often times had to gang up 3 against 2 just to have the duo thrashed thoroughly. Their mothers death had turned this two brothers into shadows of themselves, and this worried the Chief greatly. He was happy that they eventually had a company of their own, and he was weary at the same time. He was tired of the complains that had accompanied their employment into their elder brothers exporting firm, he had a feeling there was more to this boys than meets the eyes.
'Miebaka will become very wealthy because he has a good heart, his two elder brothers are blinded by their love for you while the two younger ones are blinded by greed. If care isn't taken, they would fight amongst themselves. A fight that will continue with their unborn children, you can avert this danger but you will refuse to turn against your tradition' . Those were the words of the Native doctor the Chief visits, and he'd found it difficult to sleep for many nights afterwards.
He was happy when his son Miebaka brought him a car he'd bought him, the young man had come home to present his father the car and also inform him of the young lady he just proposed to. His father was genuinely gladdened for his son who always made him proud, but that changed immediately when he discovered the identity of the young lady. He was saddened when his son told him his heart throb was the niece/daughter of his old friend justice Ebere.
Chief: my boy, you can't marry that young lady she's an OSU!!! She'll contaminate our family, I'm a king maker I can't afford to be contaminated with this. You ve never refused me my son, please don't defie our custom and tradition today. Please.........
Miebaka : Papa, please I beg you. Don't do this to me. She is my heart, she's the air I breathe, she's all I see. She's my everything, please papa.....
With tears in their eyes, they sat quietly side by side. The chief began to realise how much this hurt his son, he could only shake his head in anguish as he thought back to the words of the native doctor. He really loved his son but he could not go against his custom, he couldn't turn his back on his people. The young Miebaka's eyes watered as though a pipe was some how connected to it, he just couldn't understand why such archaic tradition was allowed to rain supreme at a time it should be considered irrelevant. His father asked him to please go and think seriously of the consequences of marrying that young lady, his whole family would excommunicated from their community. His father would be made a laughing stock, his brothers and their unborn children would be forced to marry their kind and would mot be sold to or bought from. With that, the chief walked into his room and shut his doors.
The following weekend, the chief convened a meeting in attendance where his sons and the Hon. Justice Ebere. He informed every one of his son Miebaka's intent to marry an out cast, he never thought the God's would punish him in such a manner. He begged the Judge to dissuade his son from marrying his niece, he informed the judge that he had nothing but respect for his person and sense of judgement. Thanking the Chief, the judge said he understood the gravity of the situation and he had even advised Miebaka as a younger brother to desist from marrying his niece. He said he understands that this'll cause the two love birds some heart break, but that Miebaka shouldn't force his family to go through this ordeal as he couldn't imagine the pain they'll go through.
Adokiye the first born and eldest brother to Miebaka advised him not to go through with this as the only way out was that their father would have to disown him before the wedding took place in order to absolve himself and his family of this curse and, he also said that their father shouldn't be forced to make such a decision as it could affect their fathers health.
After his brothers had spoken, it was the turn of Miebaka to address the house. Speaking from his heart, he begged his family not to turn their backs on him. He told them his mind had been made up and it couldn't be changed, he however informed them that he'd tried to unlove the judges niece but he couldn't for some reason undo that which cupid had done. He begged everyone to please bear with him and not hate him. Immediately he sat down, the chief asked his last son to call his neighbours and it was in their presence that he disowned his third son. By this action from the Chief, Miebaka was no longer a member of the family and was asked to change his name with immediate effect. Of course the day he marries, dies and is being buried, his family will not be in attendance. With deep sorrow and anguish all over his face, he drove off in his automobile kicking a pile of dust into the air as he ran far from the family he's known and loved all his live.
Life became difficult for chief Atamuno after this event, he suffered from guilt and at the same time was furious at his son for choosing a woman instead of his family. The same feeling of anger was felt by the four sons of the Chief, and the betrayal of their most caring brother made it even was.
In a short time, Miebaka and Evelyn the judges were wedded at the courts but there wasn't much traditional ceremony because of the situation of things in attendance were relatives of the bride and staff if the grooms company. He wasn't bothered that his family refused to make it, they had made their decision and he'd made his and that was final. The newly weds where so in love, the whole world could burn for all they cared.

(1) (Reply)

Ebook Publishers In Enugu State / Urhobo Roots And The God's Fabric / Publish Your Own News Articles On The Buzz News Network Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 221
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.