Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? (7445 Views)

Help!! Am Obsessed With Expensive Designer Clothes And Brazilian Hair / Photos: Proof Kim Kardashian Is Obsessed With Copying Kate Middelton's Outfits!! / Obsessed With My Hands And Nails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Joseph6(m): 10:33am On Jul 16, 2009
so tell me wd u lyk 2 spend d rest of ur lyf wit a brainy orangutang - me
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:18pm On Jul 16, 2009
that's a dated quote, you know.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by SeanT21(f): 2:13am On Jul 17, 2009
Joseph6:

so tell me wd u lyk 2 spend d rest of ur lyf wit a brainy orangutang - me

I agree with U. All these guys here complaining are the ones that will be chasing after these girls.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by na2day2(m): 7:30am On Jul 17, 2009
SeanT21:

I agree with U. All these guys here complaining are the ones that will be chasing after these girls.

i ain't one of them cool cool cool
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by skyy04(m): 11:22am On Jul 17, 2009
Appearance first then inner beauty comes after.

It's simple the more attractive you are the more attention you get.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by sweetpie23: 9:19am On Jul 21, 2009
skyy04:

I agree with that
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 21, 2009
skyy04:

Appearance first then inner beauty comes after.

appearance first? inner beauty second? seems to me you're standing reason on its head.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by amaechijay: 10:48am On Jul 22, 2009
@ poster

"Tooshing" up one's face or body is part of civilization.

Your question should have been "why did we go to school"

or " why didn't we remain monkeys - homosapiens"
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by spicy007(f): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2009
well, i am one of the fortunate people who look fantastic with simple white powder and colourless lip balm, so i wont say im under any pressure to look good.
needless to say, the society dictates the norm but come to think of it, who makes the society, its u and me, so what are we saying here?
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by mamagee3(f): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2009
It's because they have nothing to worry about.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 24, 2009
who doesn't like a good thing? grin grin but I agree the obsession is way too much. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by sweetpie23: 12:44pm On Jul 25, 2009
rokiatu:

who doesn't like a good thing? grin grin but I agree the obsession is way too much. lipsrsealed
but a nature thing is better then the fake one
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 25, 2009
you can only have this problem when you allow society to dictate
to you how to live your life.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Joseph6(m): 3:34am On Jul 26, 2009
But cum 2 tink of it ,y shldnt society dictate hw u liv ur lyf?, all ur morals/values/ disposition is based on society, d religion u find urself in is based on society so jst bcoz u feel its in ur power 2 modify evrytin doesnt mean d society wnt still dictate coz d society is U. As for man's obsession wit beauty,can't say i'm unhapi abt it coz its a gud fing, only if it cld take our minds away 4rm corruption
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2009
not necessarily my brother. i've always been a non-conformist from childhood and i like
bucking the crowd. and that includes what 'society' thinks as regarding beauty.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Joseph6(m): 4:47am On Jul 27, 2009
. . . . .dats hw ur own opinion, and dis is based on sum minority of our societal values. . . .buh still dir r many odas lyk u wit d very same opinion on 'beauty' and wen u're in dat crowd. . . . .u truly wont stand out,or wld u?
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by shollykaye: 7:29am On Jul 27, 2009
Ladies go for breast enlargement,take all kinds of drugs,use bleaching cream and go almost naked just to please or impress men.It should not be so.You are beautifully and wonderfully made.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:08am On Jul 27, 2009
you can certainly stand out by being yourself. if there is a crowd of half dressed
girls trying to please men and only one lady decides to be sensible and dresses
right. guess who will stand out then?
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by sweetpie23: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2009
shollykaye:

Ladies go for breast enlargement,take all kinds of drugs,use bleaching cream and go almost naked just to please or impress men.It should not be so.You are beautifully and wonderfully made.
my thought too
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Joseph6(m): 6:49pm On Aug 16, 2009
and guys do all d evry evry 4rm hair 2 clothes 2 pecks and abs. . . . . . .buh society wld still pay more attention 2 boobs!
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2009
ah! boobs you said? grin
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by chinedumo(m): 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2010
Society wise, It is deemed unnatural immoral rude too direct unfeminine less funny when a woman make the proposal to a male. So women are left to one choice-:in order to pressurize the male to consider; to contribute the meeting and mating process ; and compete with their fellows for love and attention/attraction: " their looks". Hence the emphasis on looks. u may be any thing educated intelligent accomplished,  but u will be noted most and first by your looks by men and women. This is cos of the corruption that is in the world through lust as the bible has said . If u are aware and can recall in the movie s*x and the city- one of the female characters did say that u wont find an accomplished man unmarried/unattached but u will find an accomplished woman unmarried/unattached.
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:45pm On Mar 19, 2010
so the lewd dressing is an indirect invitation to 'mate'?
Re: Why Is Society So Obsessed With Looks? by Akanaz(m): 9:22pm On Feb 07, 2016
Believe me or not when u r attractive u r 40% close to success.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hot Beautiful Dresses Just Arrived. / How To Make Natural Hair Soft - 8 Step Regimen For Soft Natural Hair / Is She The Best Dressed At Peter & Lola's Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.