Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? (20608 Views)

7 Most Employable Skills In Nigeria / Debate Of The Day: Self Employed Jobs Or White Collar Jobs? / Available Jobs Or Opportunities In The Farming And Agro Allied Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by mrprezident007(m): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2016
Unemployment and quality of Education.
I have seen many graduates roam the streets looking for jobs. Conversely, some companies have also lamented that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Who is telling the truth, are there Jobs but no employable graduates or that there are not so many jobs out there?

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by oginineme(f): 6:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
There are no jobs do not be deceived. How many positions are available? Forget that one.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by YorubaWoman: 6:42pm On Feb 24, 2016
Both!

There are no jobs and no employable graduates.
To defend or answer questions pertaining to the studied course na wahala
These days one could easily become a graduate even without going to school, get passed through bribery, blablabla
Ko da bi nigba tawa mo smiley aye ti baje

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Africanman123(m): 6:44pm On Feb 24, 2016
oginineme:
There are no jobs do not be deceived. How many positions are available? Forget that one.
So that is why you are wasting your time here...people like you always deceive others, there are jobs out there.

10 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Africanman123(m): 6:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
YorubaWoman:
Both!

There are no jobs and no employable graduates.
To defend or answer questions pertaining to the studied course na wahala
These days one could easily become a graduate even without going to school, get passed through bribery, blablabla
Ko da bi nigba tawa mo smiley aye ti baje
But both events are not mutually exclusive. I can say with all pride that there are jobs but no employable graduates, why do u think we all run abroad for education.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
mrprezident007:
Unemployment and quality of Education.
I have seen many graduates roam the streets looking for jobs. Conversely, some companies have also lamented that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Who is telling the truth, are there Jobs but no employable graduates or that there are not so many jobs out there?

My opinion.

1.Most people go to university to graduate with degrees that would qualify them for office jobs....where they would shuffle papers without thinking for the rest of their working lives.Meanwhile...most companies want people who are ideas persons, problem solvers,etc. Not clerks.Of course...when some gent or lady turns up looking for job....and cannot show that he or she is an ideas man or woman.....

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local unviersity's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now...which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

3.Still on thinking. Our lecturers used to tell us that in order to pass their exams...you have to give them what they taught you in class.That is nice...but the problem is...when a student is doing the exams....he is not using his thinking mind to answer the question....just regurgitating the lecturer'snotes.Sigh....thinking gone.

4.Assignments. Most students when asked to do an assignment....just go and copy from textbooks and websites. No synthesizing of ideas from sources.

In brief....the problem is....our educations system does not teach students to think....they teach students to just regurgitate what the lecturer told them.May help in getting a first class from uni....but in the real world...where you have to formulate solutions....

5.Most Nigerian students think that learning is only in class. No. Learning is a continuum.

125 Likes 20 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by raayah(f): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
No jobs my dear!

If there were jobs, employers would take the graduates and train them so they can be of use.

However, we have to realize that our higher institutions are outdated and need a complete reform. We need to focus on research. Give undergraduate students opportunities to learn practical stuff..

My answer still remains, there are no jobs

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by adren(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
excerpts from pinkiecutie's thread.. i am sharing this to teach OP a lesson..

and, i beg to differ.. though i had a 2.2, i have potentials, solution-oriented ideas and i am employable..

if nigerian HR's won't hire me because i do not have a "connect" nor holes between my legs, japan and sweden among others would pay me tremendously to tap from my practical knowledge of RENEWABLE ENERGY.. (the future of energy consumption in the world)

now to pinkiecutie's.. hope a good samaritan can help this poor girl out!!

"good evening Nigerian's..
my heartfelt greetings goes to you guys once more as you this forum was instrumental to my getting a job last year August...
This is my story. I work for an auditing firm , name withheld by me. early this year I occasionally caught my boss staring at me provocatively I.e lustfully but I just took it as nothing serious because he has never made advances before to me.
Earlier this month, he started complimenting Myt looks and all, but I still not suspecting anything reciprocated by complimenting his good looks too..
After all who doesn't want to be in the good books of his or her boss..
On the 21st of Jan , he called me into his office and offered me a seat.
I sat innocently, and from there he started his talk about how hard working I was and all.
As if that was not enough, he drew closer and tried to fumble my breast..this man in his mid fifties , had no shame when I politely told him that I was still a virgin and that he should stop..
He apologized and asked me out of his office..
About three days later, he sent for me and presented my termination letter. When I opened the letter, a tear dropped off my eyelids as I saw in block black and bold letters "TERMINATION OF APPOINTMENT DUE TO REDUNDANCY" . I stood there for close to five minutes not knowing what to say.After a while I managed to utter a thank you sir and left to pack all my belongings out of the company..
I went home to meet my sick mom(my father is late, I am an only child), when I saw her state I couldn't just bring it upon my self to tell her that I was just sacked..
right now, all the money I have been spending has gone to my mother's treatment..
even to eat now is a problem, right now having 1000 naira is like a million naira...
I have considered giving in but my vow to keep my virginity till marriage is still strong ( this virginity till marriage is a family thing. my mom,mom's mom and so on where Virgins)
so confused right now lord please help me, in your loving kindness touch the hearts of men to look upon your daughter who has chosen to live according to your ways amen..."

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Seeeeeeee: 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
Super Story, having a job in Nigeria is not an easy task am talking from experience.

I even thought today of visiting an Alfa or a Prophet if they have any solution. The truth is limited jobs more graduates.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by PublicAssurance: 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
BOTH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Dahveydson(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
It's not that there are no jobs, the problem is the jobs aren't enough.

Anytime I hear people say Nigerian Graduates are unemployable, I laugh at their level of intelligence that give them the basis to generalise.

These HR people schooled in Nigeria, searched for jobs, get one or two years experience and all of a sudden they say - Nigerian Graduates are unemployable - insulting the same system they came through.

Modified

The Hilarious part of this kind of thread is that people who are fully employed will be preaching entrepreneurship like one can start a business with sand.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by kekakuz(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
[size=20pt] I use to think no job until I got a job and got tripple promotion because those I meet in the office are just cold heads.
How would you explain a graduate who couldn't answer 7x9.
Yes it can happen to anyone but it's not for you to cram. Simply multiply 7 x10 and minus 7.
Thats is logic.
Many times I ask graduates during interview a simple question. (quote from Mr frank interview) "are you a team player" the answer I mostly get is "I don't like football or games.
Please how will you employ such a person.
A lot of the blame should go to our schools because lecturers don't care if you understand. Just replicate the textbook and you graduate with a first class.
The students too also fail to develop themselves.
Knowledge is good but understanding is key. The best students don't graduate with a first class.
We can continue to cry no job which is true but for the few available jobs, are our graduates worthy. [/size]

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by raumdeuter: 8:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
No jobs

There are millions of graduate out there even though a large number might be unemployable but there are some very smart ones who would excel anywhere

These same people they say are unemployable would travel abroad and start shining

9 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by babyfaceafrica: 8:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
Both
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by tchigofigo(m): 8:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
Hmmm
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by lifestyle1(m): 8:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by sugarbelly: 8:13pm On Feb 24, 2016
no employable ''graduates''
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by kennyman2000(m): 8:13pm On Feb 24, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by cutetopsey(f): 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
No jobs!

Even, if there are jobs, people with high connections are usually more of advantage....

So, the jobs available are not enough to meet Nigerian graduates needs......Chikena!
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Fime2000: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
na wa o, no job.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by HenryQuest(m): 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
Let's be objective here.....it's true that there are limited job opportunities in Nigeria but it's also true that a lot of Nigerian graduates are not worthy graduates both in character and in learning. That's how many graduates come to nairaland and be killing themselves over issues that should be treating with maturity. Some others commit lots of grammatical blunders. Chei.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
THIS ANALOGY IS SAME WITH THE GIRLS SAYING OF ALL GUYS ARE THE SAME...HAVE U DATED ALL?.....NO B IF THEM FIRST EMPLOY U ..THEM GO KNOW IF U RE EMPLOYABLE OR NOT.... OGA JOB SCARCE ...

8 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by myners007: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
There are jobs everywhere. If u cant get employment then employ yourself. The truth is that most graduates wants to make it big time without being creative or industrious. It took Dangote and others lots of thinking, perseverance, hard work to attain the position they are today. Be positive and try to fashion out what people need around you, give it to them and you will surely succeed.

4 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by kennysteve77: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
Op, with my short experience of a decade during which I've worked in two different sectors and participated in recruitments, I can infer that there are more employable graduates than the available jobs. It is true that many employers are fond of saying that many graduates are unemployable, the truth they are shying away from is that they are not willing to invest in a system that works but are looking for a 'Messiah' graduate who will triple their turn-over within few months. If there is a good system in place in a company, an average Nigerian graduate will function effectively. Some Nigerian banks have good systems and that is why a graduate of Yoruba will fit in well at the foundational level while he rises the ladder. Most times, the class of degree doesn't reflect in effectiveness wherever there is a working system. Company owners should concentrate on building a proper system instead of waiting for an employable genius.

28 Likes 9 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by rman: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
A country that has so much to do should never have her productive population unemployed. In Nigeria's case, there are jobs but everyone is looking towards the same direction, same thing. Government jobs, banks jobs etc...until graduates figure out their purpose is to improve upon the current standards, they will remain unemployed.

In every location, the best services provider, manufacturer, restaurant, builder, doctor, nurse, engineer, architect etc always have more jobs than they could handle. Sometimes, u have to wait in line to get them and I ask, why do people say there are no jobs?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
Purple
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by ziego(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
None of the above
here we experience survival of the fittest

Virtually it's few jobs
no jobs, it's as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by martineverest(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
There's no difference between most Nigerian graduates and fish sellers or butchers, especially nairalanders..... They are neither productive technically nor mentally.

9 Likes

Our education system is not meeting the present need. On other climes, all these accounting packages is one of the course you have to pass making them employable in their own country, they believe in practical and theory, truth be said, some graduate are not employable......we read read read read read cram all the theories with no practical knowledge.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Funjosh(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2016
tongue
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by LesbianBoy(m): 8:17pm On Feb 24, 2016
No jobs and i blame buhari for this!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Has Successfully Written His N-health Test? / 5 Ways To Get A Job Without Experience. / Kindly Help My Husband Before He Commits Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.