Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! (1483 Views)

Ex-manchester United Star Sent Out Of The House By Wife / FOOTBALL Arturo Vidal Completes Manchester United Medical? / Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Ibime(m): 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2009
[size=14pt]Police detain wife of former boxing champion Gatti[/size]

AP - Jul 11, 5:53 pm EDT 1 of 8 Boxing Gallery SAO PAULO (AP)—The wife of former boxing champion Arturo Gatti was detained as a suspect by Brazilian authorities Sunday following his death at a posh seaside resort.

Police said 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody after contradictions in her interrogation. Gatti’s body was found early Saturday in a hotel room at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil.

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also had a head injury.

The investigation was not complete, but Saraiva said authorities were preparing to present a formal accusation against Rodrigues, who denied being involved in her husband’s death.

Police said Rodrigues, a Brazilian, could not explain how she spent nearly 10 hours in the room without noticing that Gatti was already dead.

Police were investigating witness reports that the couple fought and Gatti was drunk when he returned to his room Friday night, Saraiva said, adding that police were told the pair were extremely jealous of each other and that he constantly complained of her clothing when she traveled to Brazil.

Acelino “Popo” Freitas, a four-time world champion Brazilian boxer, told Globo TV’s Web site on Saturday that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife and that he “knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate.”

The couple’s 1-year-old son, who was unhurt, was with Rodrigues’ sister, Saraiva said.

The 37-year-old Gatti, whose epic trilogy with Micky Ward branded him one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, retired in 2007 with a career record of 40-9 and 31 knockouts.

Known for his straightforward punching and granite-like chin, Gatti captured the junior welterweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City.
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by MrCrackles(m): 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2009
Another twist. . . . .They were meant to be on holiday having a good time!
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Ibime(m): 6:05pm On Jul 12, 2009
Lets not forget his epic battle with Mickey Ward (the third fight). I remember discussing that epic battle here with some guys. . . . has to go down as one of the best fights of all time.

RIP Arturo Gatti

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p3bFrP8-HM&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by MrCrackles(m): 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2009
RIP GATTI
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Cristalz(f): 8:42pm On Jul 12, 2009
Na wa o, oga Ibime.  .  .sensationalism!! grin

How could an average wife have strangled her boxer husband with the strap of a purse? I mean, by herself?? Authorities haven't confirmed the wife murdered the hubby, so I don't get your thread title.
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Ibime(m): 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2009
Cristalz:

Na wa o, oga Ibime. . .sensationalism!! grin

How could an average wife have strangled her boxer husband with the strap of a purse? I mean, by herself?? Authorities haven't confirmed the wife murdered the hubby, so I don't get your thread title.

Knowing how Brazilian chicks operate, I dont doubt that she drugged him first. . . . some Samson and Delilah shit!
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by MrCrackles(m): 8:58pm On Jul 12, 2009
Ibime:

Knowing how Brazilian chicks operate, I dont doubt that she drugged him first. . . . some Samson and Delilah shit!

Chei. . . . Dis radio IBIME shit is awesome! grin
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by 4Play(m): 9:01pm On Jul 12, 2009
Ibime knows how Brazilian chicks operate? grin How did he gain this expert knowledge?

I heard she put him in a headlock and choked him to death
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Cristalz(f): 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2009
Ibime:

Hehehe.  .  .and what might her motive be? grin

@Brash
Me sef I jus' dey wonder o. What an amazing journalist. grin

4 Play:

Ibime knows how Brazilian chicks operate?  grin How did he gain this expert knowledge?

I heard she put him in a headlock and choked him to death

.  .  .and when he tried to struggle she lifted him clean over her head and slammed him on the floor! Explains the head wound,huh.

Ibime's been reading too many James Hadley Chase books. grin
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by binhozie(m): 9:30pm On Jul 12, 2009
He may be a former boxer but its his wife we're talking about and she prolly knows his achilles heels. Women the world over can do and undo. RIP to him sha even tho i dont know him
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by MrCrackles(m): 9:39pm On Jul 12, 2009
Cristalz:

@Brash
Me sef I jus' dey wonder o. What an amazing journalist. grin

Lolz! grin cheesy
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Cristalz(f): 9:50pm On Jul 12, 2009
Ibime, just teasin, k? wink
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Ibime(m): 9:18am On Jul 13, 2009
Cristalz:

Hehehe. . .and what might her motive be? grin

Cash money!

They were about to get a divorce. . . . her payments were prolly subject to a pre-nup. . . . but in the event of death, she becomes the sole beneficiary! grin

Cristalz:

Ibime, just teasin, k? wink

Anytime darling! wink
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime,
I think the first fight with Ward was a better fight.
The third one was remarkeable because he (Gatti) broke his hand,i think it was in the 4th round.
Painful death.What's happening with sports men and their female counterparts?
McNair the other week.now this.
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Ibime(m): 10:19am On Jul 13, 2009
Eastbay:

The third one was remarkeable because he (Gatti) broke his hand,i think it was in the 4th round.

Ol' boy, that third fight was the ultimate display of granite chin by Arturo Gatti. I have never seen a boxer win a fight with one-hand simply by putting his chin out to be hit, then countering with his one good hand. I saw the fight on ESPN classics and I couldn't believe it.
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime,
I think it's a split between the first and the third fights.For gutts,the third one was worth it.But for sheer pound for pound action,the first fight was it.I think it depends on what you're looking for.The first was more exciting (to me) because watching it,you wouldn't know who was going to win.
Gatti was a warrior.The guttsy display in the third fight was unbelievable,even till this day.It has to be on top of any kind of display of courage and heart.It's amazing how he just kept his jaw out to be hit.Unthinkable.Stuff of legends.
The guy get steel chin.They shoulda checked his jaw for steel plates!!!
Re: Arturo Gatti Found Dead - Murdered By Wife! by biola44: 11:53am On Jul 15, 2009
rip

(1) (Reply)

Efan Ekoku Wants African Unity Cup Of Nations To Be Hosted Every 4 Years. / Artificial Grass We Supply Pls Call- +234 803 7298 777 / Predict 6 Scores On Any Sport To Win N5,000,000 On Surebet247

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.